Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Turkey, ISIS, Kurds and Syria

Standing with Syrians: an open letter to an anti-imperialist

Don't want to be in the habit of posting links without comment, but there's not much I can add with any synopsis I might give.
That's a great strong piece and i have been forcing it on people for some time now - libcom really need to sort out attribution stuff though. It's from Brooklyn Rail, a really good initiative - Paul Mattick's son is involved - and the author's name should not just be in the tags.

The people he is referring to, the Bartlett's and the Beeley's - those who stand with the army officers - are having a big meeting at, of all places, the Marx Memorial Library tmw. Any comrades who can get there i urge you to, and get there early...

if anyone is interested this is a radio interview with an american guy who used to write a column for maximum rock and roll and then went to syria to volunteer for the ypg

US CentCom now reduced to posting phwoar tweets :rolleyes:

I did chuckle at the tweets which (probably unintentionally) are trolling Turkey/Turkish nationalists, and they appear to have removed after predictably a bunch of Turkish nationalist commentators went mad

"In response to the many offers of support we have created this page in memory of Ryan Lock.

Ryan was twenty years old, he went to Syria to fight for a cause he believed in.
Sadly Ryan lost his life in Syria, and in preparation for him coming home we are setting up this page to raise money to have a memorial made for him, so his family can visit his special place to pay their respects to a very much loved young man.

We greatly appreciate your support

Thank you

The family of Ryan Lock"

Page to donate: Help raise £5000 to Raise money for Ryan Locks memorial

Lastly, RT is obviously haram around here and the interview is a bit old now relating to the liberation of Aleppo a few weeks ago, but where else will you see the likes of Eva Bartlett and one of her opponents (Dilly Hussein) address each others points about Syria directly, head to head? Make what you will (or can) of it.

What, hysterical? Nonetheless I've a huge amount of respect for the woman.

No, just a bit like she might lose the plot at any moment. Not to mention the delusional and horrendous bollocks she keeps spouting.

Respect for her...? Defending Assad and denying/silencing the voices of Syrian revolutionaries? Making friends with conspiracy theorists?

No, just a bit like she might lose the plot at any moment. Not to mention the delusional and horrendous bollocks she keeps spouting.

Respect for her...? Defending Assad and denying/silencing the voices of Syrian revolutionaries? Making friends with conspiracy theorists?

Those are your opinions, my position is that I agree with her, and I respect her opinions and her efforts. I don't have any respect for what you're saying on the matter. Don't take it personally though, I've regarded commonly accepted narratives distributed across the West by the media about what's happening in the world with a great deal of contempt since long before 2003.

Those are your opinions, my position is that I agree with her, and I respect her opinions and her efforts. I don't have any respect for what you're saying on the matter. Don't take it personally though, I've regarded commonly accepted narratives distributed across the West by the media about what's happening in the world with a great deal of contempt since long before 2003.

And what about all the Syrians that disagree with what she says, and the piles of bodies murdered by the regime? How do they fit with your opinion? Have you been to Syria?

Erdogan's war planes attacked the Kurdish and Yazidi forces around Shingal last night. This is an area where Kurdish media is sited and international volunteers are deployed or in training. What are the US and Britain going to do about the "New Sultan" attacking their allies in the war against Daesh?

Germany will move its soldiers if Turkey refuses lawmaker visit: Merkel

Berlin may move its soldiers to another country if Ankara does not grant permission to members of the German parliament's defense committee to visit staff currently serving in a NATO mission on a Turkish air base, Chancellor Angela Merkel said.

Speaking at a Monday news conference, Merkel said it was essential for lawmakers to be able to visit the more than 250 soldiers serving at İncirlik air base in Turkey, where they are involved in a NATO mission targeting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) jihadist group in Syria.

"We will continue to talk with Turkey, but in parallel we will have to explore other ways of fulfilling our mandate," Merkel said.

"That means looking at alternatives to İncirlik, and one alternative among others is Jordan," she said....

U.S.-backed SDF sees big risk of clash with Turkey in northwest Syria

The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces warned on Thursday of the prospect of fierce confrontation with the Turkish army in northwestern Syria if it attacks SDF areas, and said this would undermine the assault on Islamic State at Raqqa.

Naser Haj Mansour, a senior SDF official, told Reuters the SDF had taken a decision to confront Turkish forces "if they try to go beyond the known lines" in the areas near Aleppo where the sides exchanged fire on Wednesday....

Back
Top Bottom