Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Transgender hate crimes recorded by police go up 81%

Ireland introduced self ID etc way before the UK iirc and there didn't seem much opposition at the time. What do you think changed do you think? Part of a general growth of the far right?
The growth of the far right, including domestic and external influences.

Look, unfortunately, there's always been elements of homophobia, racism, antisemitism and various bigotries. But since the advent of social media, 9/11, bot farms, migration and Trumpism it's gone through the fucking roof. Especially in the last few years.

Go (if you dare) into any Irish FB topic about

Housing
Irish athletes
RTE programmes
Dublin nostalgia
Cork nostalgia
Sinn Fein
Irish music
Bambie Thug
Palestine solidarity
Elections
Tidy Towns

And so on, and you'll notice that there's a shit load of bad faith and downright fash comments. Looking closely into some of the posts, you will find that some of the accounts have been dormant for a few years/have very few followers/clearly suspect. But there are plenty of seemingly regular folk who just have hurled themselves right into the far right arena with gusto.

The transphobic stuff is the latest and shiniest cause for these fuckos to rally around. Some for the lols, some who feel threatened by an Ireland they don't recognise anyone and some who are consumed by hatred.

Dunno what the answer is and it's deeply unpleasant stuff to deal with.

As for Graham Linehan, most young people I personally talked with who have heard of him think he's laughable. So that's something. But that's just my brief snapshot on my recent visit.

As for Graham Linehan, most young people I personally talked with who have heard of him think he's laughable. So that's something. But that's just my brief snapshot on my recent visit.
I don't think he appeals to young people directly, but he is appealing to a certain section of society who in turn are out there influencing others - he's like a transphobia enabler.

looks promising?

I follow someone who was live tweeting this and it sounded like they had a strong case against the ban, but I suspect it might come down to a technical point of law on whether the government can legally do this the way they did for any drug, rather than the evidence for the use of puberty blockers.

Whatever the case I'm not really optimistic. I've seen so much gender critical nonsense uncritically reproduced in court judgements over the last few years that not much would surprise me anymore. Transphobia has spread like a virus amongst late middle aged PMCs, I doubt judges are exempt. I hope they win but it won't be the courts that saves us.

Personally I don't think you are an adult until your early 20s.

So who is making the decision on puberty blockers?

Also Streeting has already said he intends to make the ban permanent and it appears Karin Smyth, who's just been appointed as Minister responsible for primary healthcare, follows some of the nastiest gender critical cranks on twitter.

I don't think gender dysphoria isn't real.

but what the fuck I will get beat up anyway.
I ain't gonna beat you up but don't think you've thought things through.

Two of my friends are going through transition.

The discontinuous self really frightens people for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom