Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tommy Robinson, the court case and (guffaw) 'free speech'

The point is that their position is not hypocritical. They're eligible for British state pensions and living in Cyprus won't affect that.

If you look at the meaning of hypocritical it just doesnt make sense to use it to describe people with EU passports who voted for Brexit.
i suspect that the vast majority of people with eu27 passports voted to remain in the eu. but few non-irish people from the eu27 were afforded a vote.

The point is that their position is not hypocritical. They're eligible for British state pensions and living in Cyprus won't affect that.

If you look at the meaning of hypocritical it just doesnt make sense to use it to describe people with EU passports who voted for Brexit.
As things currently stand it may not affect their UK state pension, but it would certainly be ironic if that changed (and I say that as someone who voted to Leave the EU, to be clear).

While it may not meet your definition of hypocritical, I can certainly understand those who say it is.

What word would you use to describe people who vote to make life more difficult for other people without having to do deal with it themselves, then? Hypocrite is probably the least rude word to describe it.

They don't agree that they did vote to make life more difficult for British people.

As things currently stand it may not affect their UK state pension, but it would certainly be ironic if that changed (and I say that as someone who voted to Leave the EU, to be clear).

While it may not meet your definition of hypocritical, I can certainly understand those who say it is.

Fair enough. Just to be clear they're British Citizens as well as Irish. People on here seem to struggle with that concept even though there are millions of us.

They don't agree that they did vote to make life more difficult for British people.

Then they're wrong, when it comes to freedom of movement. A lot of people on here are voted leave, but I think they did it knowing that their own freedom of movement might well be restricted, but they thought the advantages of leaving were big enough that it was a sacrifice worth making. I disagree but at least they were willing to live with any of the negative repercussions of their vote.

If you have an EU citizenship then you're expecting people to make that sacrifice without needing to make it yourself.

You don't have to be a remain supporter to think that's hypocritical, or some other word that's equally disparaging.

Fair enough. Just to be clear they're British Citizens as well as Irish. People on here seem to struggle with that concept even though there are millions of us.
Fair enough.

I don't think you mentioned that previously (and I am of course aware that people with dual British/Irish citizenship exist).

Then they're wrong, when it comes to freedom of movement. A lot of people on here are voted leave, but I think they did it knowing that their own freedom of movement might well be restricted, but they thought the advantages of leaving were big enough that it was a sacrifice worth making. I disagree but at least they were willing to live with any of the negative repercussions of their vote.

If you have an EU citizenship then you're expecting people to make that sacrifice without needing to make it yourself.

You don't have to be a remain supporter to think that's hypocritical, or some other word that's equally disparaging.

I can't defend their position because it's not one I agree with myself, but just like any other leave voter they thought the UK would be better off outside the EU. They will be better off in Cyprus, and probably less of a burden on the NHS has health conditions mean they need a hot dry climate, so really they're taking one for the team.

I can't defend their position because it's not one I agree with myself, but just like any other leave voter they thought the UK would be better off outside the EU. They will be better off in Cyprus, and probably less of a burden on the NHS has health conditions mean they need a hot dry climate, so really they're taking one for the team.

I know they're your parents, so you want to defend them, but the point isn't really about them voting leave - it's about them voting leave while knowing that they, personally, would not lose their rights to free movement.

Saying that they're taking one for the team is stretching it a lot. I'd be better off in a hot, dry climate too, and had thought about moving to Spain - I speak some Spanish - but that's not a possibility for me now.

Err...come off it... whilst I too hope I get to live out my twilight years in a better climate so less likely to ail with certain things this is a context free assumption you are making. I know of a fair few British people who live abroad in Europe/elsewhere and come back to the UK for treatment as/when they need it. I can't say how they manage to keep an address or registered etc but they do. They are not taking one for the team at all.

Just seen this on a local Facebook group. Wasn't sure where to put this but this guy's clearly a little Tommy wannabe so here he is. Exposing Deptford, the birds nest and cinema as hotbeds of satanic antifa business.

Back
Top Bottom