Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tommy Robinson, the court case and (guffaw) 'free speech'

was talking to mrs NBE about staying at terry thomases place in Ibiza. She seemed less than enthusiastic about the prospect. Very much less enthusiastic it has to be be said. only when we discussed further, she realised she was thinking of tommy robinsons gaff in spain. erk

TR has been hanging out in Tenerife in previous years, staying at some other far right pillock‘s place I think - can’t remember which one.

Presumably, even prior to that, the Home Secretary can revoke his British citizenship as he is now in a position to apply for another nationality.
I have very little legal learning, but as I understand it - especially given the lack of a proven terrorist linkage, and the fact he is indisputably British - she would have grave difficulties sustaining such a revoation past a high court challenge

I have very little legal learning, but as I understand it - especially given the lack of a proven terrorist linkage, and the fact he is indisputably British - she would have grave difficulties sustaining such a revoation past a high court challenge
She is indisputably British. If you recall the government’s argument was that on being rendered stateless she would be in a position to apply for Bangladeshi citizenship on the basis of her parents’ current or previous nationality. I am not sure she has been convicted of terrorist crimes. I’m not sure British courts are big on in absentia convicions.
Mr Yaxley-Lennon, in the other hand, has indisputably been convicted of serious (although non-terrorist) offences. One assumes that now being resident of Spain, under the EU freedom of movement rights, he is in a position to apply for Spanish nationality in due course, and therefore could have his Brutish citizenship withdrawn without leaving him stateless.
What’s source for goose..even if the analogy is a little stretched.

She is indisputably British. If you recall the government’s argument was that on being rendered stateless she would be in a position to apply for Bangladeshi citizenship on the basis of her parents’ current or previous nationality. I am not sure she has been convicted of terrorist crimes. I’m not sure British courts are big on in absentia convicions.
Mr Yaxley-Lennon, in the other hand, has indisputably been convicted of serious (although non-terrorist) offences. One assumes that now being resident of Spain, under the EU freedom of movement rights, he is in a position to apply for Spanish nationality in due course, and therefore could have his Brutish citizenship withdrawn without leaving him stateless.
Agree with all you say, but a criminal record is not enough to strip of citizenship, which is why I beliive both would win if it came down to m'lud's call.

Don't think he'll get as far as poor Spanish. It will be loud English followed by 'comprende'.

He's not really just a thug. He ran a pretty big organisation and coordinates with the other far right European organisations.
He seems pretty sick in the head, but it's not like he's an 18 year old on holiday, he's worked something out

was talking to mrs NBE about staying at terry thomases place in Ibiza. She seemed less than enthusiastic about the prospect. Very much less enthusiastic it has to be be said. only when we discussed further, she realised she was thinking of tommy robinsons gaff in spain. erk

I really enjoyed that read! :D

(I know, a real hagiography! But probably far more insightful than any official obituary ... )

However ultra-posh, and beyond-annoying, most of Terry-Thomas's gang must have been, I doubt there was anything other than fun (or distraction/escape paths ;) ) to be had if you got invited to hang out there ......

Anyway :

"Thomas Terry Hoar Stevens from unfashionable Finchley" changed his name to Terry-Thomas -- poshwards..

Stephen Yaxley-Lennon changed his name to 'Tommy Robinson' -- other direction.

Which one of them was/is more of an arsehole than the other?

Easy!! ;)

As much as I'd like to see the cunt fucked off for good, that's not quite right. Under Bangladeshi law, Begum had dual citizenship from birth, rather than being entitled to apply for it. The government's position is that she wasn't rendered stateless at any time by virtue of being stripped of her British citizenship. Even putting aside the differences between IS and the the EDL, Unless he's already a dual citizen, you're not comparing like with like.

He's not really just a thug. He ran a pretty big organisation and coordinates with the other far right European organisations.
He seems pretty sick in the head, but it's not like he's an 18 year old on holiday, he's worked something out

I thought his networks were further east.

As much as I'd like to see the cunt fucked off for good, that's not quite right. Under Bangladeshi law, Begum had dual citizenship from birth, rather than being entitled to apply for it. The government's position is that she wasn't rendered stateless at any time by virtue of being stripped of her British citizenship. Even putting aside the differences between IS and the the EDL, Unless he's already a dual citizen, you're not comparing like with like.
I think Bangladesh begs to disagree. I’m not sure what power the English courts have over the interpretation of Bangladeshi Law and their immigration system. Not to worry, I won’t loose sleep if they each stay just where they are.

I think Bangladesh begs to disagree. I’m not sure what power the English courts have over the interpretation of Bangladeshi Law and their immigration system. Not to worry, I won’t loose sleep if they each stay just where they are.

For the purposes of her claim against the Home Secretary's decision, it's entirely up to the English courts to decide what Bangladeshi law says (a finding of fact). And Bangladeshi law is quite clear on the issue, regardless of what some Bangladeshi politicians might claim.

Back
Top Bottom