Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

There is no such thing as a five minute job

Months ago I got an email from Zen saying that I was at some point going to be switched over to VoIP. Yesterday yesterday morning I got a phone call at 7 am which put down as soon as I picked up, was apparently the Zen Internet. So they decided to move me to VoIP without telling me :mad:

Zen did that to me too. I don't ever recall them telling me they were going to do it. They may have sent an email, but who reads emails from their ISP?

I only knew when my phones went dead a couple of weeks ago. When I spoke to Zen they told me about the VOIP switch and said they'd send me something in the post. This came with no instructions

I've been with zen for 20 years and this is the first time they've let me down

But it was about a week without a working phone, which is a pain when you have no mobile reception at all at home

Zen did that to me too. I don't ever recall them telling me they were going to do it. They may have sent an email, but who reads emails from their ISP?

I only knew when my phones went dead a couple of weeks ago. When I spoke to Zen they told me about the VOIP switch and said they'd send me something in the post. This came with no instructions

I've been with zen for 20 years and this is the first time they've let me down

But it was about a week without a working phone, which is a pain when you have no mobile reception at all at home
It's bloody silly - how hard would it be to send out emails> I half wonder whether the phone call was intended to be a message telling me about it.

No mobile reception here, either. It was lucky I'd kept the adapter because I had a couple of people I needed to phone.

Don't phones have four wires and internet signals only two wires, so sometimes the phone goes down but the internet doesn't. Not sure whether internet goes down but phone doesn't though.
4 wires internally. 1 isn't used and 1 carries the ring tone via the capacitor in the master socket. The incoming wires from the exchange use just 2 wires. I assumed from the mention of storms that they were worried about phone wires coming down which would take out both phone and internet. :(

My own almost infamous 5 minute job was when I first moved in here, light switch in the sitting room wasn't working - probably a loose wire I thought, I'll have that fixed in a jiffy.
Decided this at about 4.30pm on a November evening, which of course is when I went to turn the light on and realised it wasn't working - turned off the leccy at the fuse box, took the light switch off the wall - PING! it went and fell apart (I say fell apart, but there was pinging), little springs and god knows what innards from the switch mechanism all over the dark carpet in the rapidly encroaching evening gloom.
Had to spend the night with the lighting circuit turned off and nip down to Wickes in the morning to buy a replacement switch. Once I had that, it did indeed take 5 minutes.

But the moral of the story is don't start a "5 minute job" which involves the leccy/lighting circuit being off as it's getting dark and the shops are about to shut.

You can get different sizes. Get one that will last long enough.

If the router uses copper cables then a wired phone would also go down. :(

No system is going to be totally fool proof. :(
No. My landline does not go down when my router goes down.

No. My landline does not go down when my router goes down.
How long does it take to come back up?
Mine keeps dropping out at the moment but only for a minute or 2 which would only be a problem if you needed to make an emergency call.

I want to know what you were going to say now. :D
I can't remember exactly what I was going to post but looking at the Dualit spanner you posted a link to I vaguely remember mentioning something like "that tat like that would never darken my door. It looks barely robust enough to repair a toaster once"

Can you not just use the grill for the toast tomorrow
Did that this morning

2 cremated pieces of bread

And

2 acceptable pieces of toast later I had the base of my breakfast

(2 toast, small portion of beans, lightly sautéed potatoes and 3 small fried eggs. Along with 2 cups of strong, sweet tea with plenty of milk to make a delightful brew if your interested)

Tell you what, dealing with the smoke alarm(s) chirping in the middle of the fucking night isn’t a five minute job.

I had that a couple months ago, ended-up taking one down & removing the back-up battery, just got back to sleep when the second one started chirping, so got up and did the same again, back to sleep, and off goes the third one. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom