Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The working from home thread

I’m going in today, have spent the last 45 mins sitting in the garden drinking tea and looking at my Sky View app, haven’t looked at the stars in absolute ages, it was lovely.

I suspect it will be busy on the Jubilee line, the office is still quite dead, the building I’m in is anyway.

I got a reproaching email yesterday from someone who said, “I came up to your floor to talk to one of you but it appears to be the Marie Celeste”.

As I predicted, basically. The floors with the front-line client-facing staff and those with the younger staff have apparently largely returned to office. But the floor with the professionally qualified, older, back-office accountants and actuaries and risk and finance professionals who live out of London and have families and job security… they just aren’t bothering yet, regardless of company messaging to them.

This is completely stupid - they should just sync all devices with time.windows.com

yeah. I know this. the IT Helpdesk guy I spoke to knows this & he's being paid to waste time on unnecessary bullshit.
but someone higher up's made a policy decision in the past and it's stuck now.

Evil bosses want us in the office to do long hours. “London is lucky - you have to do very long hours”.

Protestant work ethic alive and well. Remember your work won’t love you back.

His view is that a lot of people who ask for flexible working want to work part-time but on a full-time salary.

that privilege is reserved for CEOs who put networking and lunches as half their "working" week.

I've spent the last 18 months working full-time on a part time salary :snarl:
I was always really protective of my finish time (2pm) when I was working in the office, but I never finish on time when I'm working from home.
The lines have become a lot more blurred and I'll sometimes log on at weekends or in the evening - something I never did pre-pandemic.

I am actually in the office at this very moment :eek: it feels very strange, but also like coming home.
I'm only here for a couple of hours today to give my office a clean and do some printing, but I'm hoping to start coming in a bit more from now on.

I've had a frantic week, so I'm well behind on my emails. I suspect I'm going to have to log on this weekend to deal with at least one regular but lengthy one.

I've been in quite a lot the last two weeks, it's been brilliant tbh. Got so much done, so much more effectively, as was able to nab colleagues who were also on the shop floor and bring them into stuff so we could hammer out a plan there and then. Also today the CEO was working in my office and we spent the entire afternoon listing all the words we could think of that end in -ate :oops: :D There are surprisingly many.

So, due to the petrol shortage and the protestors bunging up the motorway , I wont be going into the office this week, I was asked if I didnt mind getting the train in, but as I need to get equipment home, I said it would be would be better if I drove and they were cool with that.

Presumably he goes on to define what "woke" means in his eyes, so we don't presume it's just a culture war label he's been instructed to use.

Not any more..

We were meant to go back to the office last week but I've requested to WFH permanently.

Work hasn't replied at all which is indicative of the complete lack of management.

I'm staying WFH and doubt they'll force me to go back to the office.
If you’ve been WFH successfully for the last 18 months then they have a massive uphill task trying to prove that you can’t do your job from home

If you’ve been WFH successfully for the last 18 months then they have a massive uphill task trying to prove that you can’t do your job from home

Do they have to? Mine has decided we need to be in two days a week, with a general greater good justification rather than anything to do with whether you can do your job or not.

Ironically I'm in today and this afternoon I have two meetings I'll need to find somewhere quiet out of the office for.

Do they have to? Mine has decided we need to be in two days a week, with a general greater good justification rather than anything to do with whether you can do your job or not.

Ironically I'm in today and this afternoon I have two meetings I'll need to find somewhere quiet out of the office for.
Same here. My team have been working from home completely fine for the last 18 months, but we've been told that as a 'vibrant university campus', we're expected to contribute to that by coming in at least three days a week.

I suspect that's at least partly born out by the desire to support the campus economy, but I do appreciate that sometimes it's just nice to see my colleagues and the people I don't directly work with while out and about the building and campus.

I’m WFH today for the first time in ages. Can’t get into the swing of things so might boot to my PlayStation ;)

The managing partner is a petulant child . Facts don't matter to him.

But they won't make me go back. They need me to stay working for them

For us now it's minimum of 1 day week in the office and 50% attendance over the calendar month.

Not everyone is happy with it, I don't mind personally.

Do they have to?
If you make a formal request for flexible working then yes. There are a limited set of reasons that can be used to say no to such a formal request. All those reasons are hard to justify if somebody has been already successfully working for the last 18 months under the exact arrangement that they are now requesting

Still no formal instruction to come into the office more or at all. There have been plenty of hints which the majority are still ignoring. 🤣 I'm coming in 3-4 days a week as I prefer working in the office, but apart from Thursdays, main office is still very quiet. For some reason, Thursday is relatively busy.

Still no formal instruction to come into the office more or at all. There have been plenty of hints which the majority are still ignoring. 🤣 I'm coming in 3-4 days a week as I prefer working in the office, but apart from Thursdays, main office is still very quiet. For some reason, Thursday is relatively busy.

Yeah no formal demands for it from my lot either. I think my immediate boss went in a couple of times in August but hasn't been in since. I've been in twice since then as well.

I might try going in once a week for a while just because it's good for my brain to get out if this flat periodically.

Back
Top Bottom