Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

But Crispy - Would those magazines and web sites describe the process by which otherwise decent people get sucked into someone elses lie, or demonstrate how the role of institutions is only to act and not to question the veracity of why they do what they do, or how a lie can be strengthened, manipulated and altered to serve the purpose of other individuals or institutions unassociated with the original.

Maybe later we'll look at the price paid of individuals and institutions using the lie to their own advantage rather than questioning the lie.

It's a treatise not an article; it describes the whole process from a human, not a factual or political, perspective.

and you know that how exactly?

When people start a sentence "if i wanted" they generally don't do any of the suggested alternatives either.

If I want to learn about Shakespeare I'll watch the film. Ew this film is boooring, put on Clueless instead, she's sooo pretty, lurve her hair.

When people start a sentence "if i wanted" they generally don't do any of the suggested alternatives either.

If I want to learn about Shakespeare I'll watch the film. Ew this film is boooring, put on Clueless instead, she's sooo pretty, lurve her hair.

:rolleyes:

but no, you're right. Crispy's definitely not the sort of poster to read extensively around a subject or anything, he's got no head for facts or anything. And he just LOVES romcoms.

i don't think it's like that really - certainly parallels are to be made, but it's not the big secret that lc thinks he's so cleverly deduced and that no one else has seen
It's a shame you don't feel able to talk to me directly, having talked on this board for quite some while now.

From my pov, it's also a shame you don't differentiate between a tone hopefully suitable for people viewing this programme for the first time and those who've seen it and who have fully formed views.

so you wanted a pm telling you that your posts on this thread are often helpful and insightful, yet the tone of them is irritatingly pompous?

Sorry lc, your tone doesn't come across as helpful for newbies, it comes across as irratatingly pompous.

"now then, my child-like students. have you managed to grasp the awesome truths this week?"

an exageration, but it's true. sorry.

It's a shame you don't feel able to talk to me directly, having talked on this board for quite some while now.

From my pov, it's also a shame you don't differentiate between a tone hopefully suitable for people viewing this programme for the first time and those who've seen it and who have fully formed views.

You see, that's quite pompous.

It's ok, I accept it.

I hope it's not how I usually post on the internet. Maybe it's different because it's part way in a *notes to self* form. Kind of 'this is how the writer develops this device' - the writing mechanics of it as it were, for my own education.

Anyway, sorry about that.

It could be said that LCs arc runs almost in paralel with that of Culvin in Series 3, or Sobotka in Series 2 - the obsession with his own rightness, the belief that only he sees the big picture, the pride before the fall. Surely, the Wire Series 6 (set in a decaying internet, where there is no true right or wrong, just shades of grey...) is shaping up to be the finest of the lot...

Sorry LC, couldnt resist. I personally enjoy your insight and analysis, fwiw.

It's ok, I accept it.

I hope it's not how I usually post on the internet. Maybe it's different because it's part way in a *notes to self* form. Kind of 'this is how the writer develops this device' - the writing mechanics of it as it were, for my own education.

Anyway, sorry about that.

it's just this thread, as far as i can tell

I get the feeling that David Simon is airing some serious grudges in the Newspaper scenes, the 2 head guys (let's call them cipher's 1 and 2, because that's all they are) are so poorly written you half expect them to be slithering around the newsroom and cackling.

Compared to the detailed portrayal of assholes we've seen in previous seasons (and the fact Simon is dealing with his home turf, as it were), it's a bit of a let-down so far. Hidden depths may emerge, but I don't see how there's enough time left to do it?

I had major misgivings about the whole fake serial killer thing especially in lester not being the voice of reason but i reckon it ends up working quite well and is a good device to give the newspaper stuff prominence.

dave

Surely any evidence they gather on Marlo with the wire tap would be ruled inadmissable of a court of law since the tap was specifically issued for the bogus serial killer,how the hell are they going to explain that one?:confused:

you use the wire tap to inform po-lice of an opportunity to catch the criminal in the act of criminality and they explain it via 'anonymous tip-off'

simples.

Surely any evidence they gather on Marlo with the wire tap would be ruled inadmissable of a court of law since the tap was specifically issued for the bogus serial killer,how the hell are they going to explain that one?:confused:

They've already said. A confidential informant (CI) is going to magically appear.

Back
Top Bottom