Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

Why did the Cheese give up Prop Joe so easy? I know Marlo gave him Hungry Man, but it was his uncle. Don't get that.

Prop Joe has never really been a big fan of Cheese though, has he? Right from the scene in season 2 when Boris and Etan sort out the beef that Nick and Ziggy have with Cheese, he [Joe] is making comments about him being a fuck-up but not being able to do anything about it due to his being family.

I'm pretty sure the Joe/Cheese relationship is a tense one throughout, and the way Cheese felt humiliated at the co-op meeting was probs the last straw.

Or something.

Cheese never had any respect for familiy, he's all about money. Joe did respect family as we know - hell, he died surrounded by photographs of family going back several decades in the old family home. It's the young 'uns again, different breed coming up, etc.

s'what I think a lot of you new viewers are missing. Marlo is a shark. And he'll attract his own ruthless kind. He's not on about no fucking co-op. Take corners, don't negotiate for em

Even at the end he tried a Proposition, shame he wasn't dealing with a businessman.

Liked the scene at the beginning too, where Prop Joe gives a quick summary of Butchie's career and orders flowers for his funeral. Kind of whets the appetite for a prequel series showing the early days (Butchie, Prop Joe and then Avon coming up), although I'm sure that's been vetoed.

The florist was also a reminder of Bodie ordering flowers for D’Angelo’s funeral. This time around we got to understand the florist was no stranger to the street and probably stands as one of the few examples of someone getting out of the game.

I always like that people like Marlo, Avon and Prop Joe don’t carry folding money – for obvious stop and search reasons, because it reminds me of the Queen.

This time we got to see a lie not developing – Carver stood up.

Some excellent lines as well: Micheal “I ain’t paying you to be my mother”

Prop Joe: “He was a year before me at Dunbar. Irvine was in the Glee Club”
Herc: “It’s killing me . . .
Prop Joe: “Stone stupid”

McNulty seems more relaxed now he’s got Lester to share the burden of the serial killer, though Beadie’s had enough it seems.

A couple of small points: Did you notice the character formally employed with Frank Sobotka at the docks? And also DS refers to the late 70s again with the background music in the bar – this time The Clash with Train in Vain.

I like reading peoples speculations and that on here, I was actually refering to London Calling who tends to take the fun out of everything.
We keep him around to reassure ourselves that we're not really obsessed :p

If you like writing, it's about the best learning tool I've ever had, so I tend to use it . . . and I'm hardly going to apologise for that.

Madusa - some people look at the statue of David and see a small cock, others see what the artist intended. Each to their own.

If you like writing, it's about the best learning tool I've ever had, so I tend to use it . . . and I'm hardly going to apologise for that.

Madusa - some people look at the statue of David and see a small cock, others see what the artist intended. Each to their own.

It's not either/or you know! As a well-rounded person, it is quite possible to see both. ;) I enjoyed The Wire just as much as you obviously did but it aint a competition.

Plus I wasnt aware this thread was being graded for people's analytical skills otherwise I would have tried harder. :D Lighten up, ffs.

What's wrong with a little insight here and there? I'm quite glad of all the contributions to this thread, I'm obviously not as clever as some of you and it's very enlightening hearing stuff from other people's perspective.

Oh forget it! :rolleyes: Sorry for the intrusion.
We're here to discuss The Wire as it unfolds on BBC2. Some might find your contributions about who is and who isn't 'hot' irritatingly banal but it's a thread abot the show as it unfolds and, if that's your angle, it's fine by me.

I'm not going to criticise you for it, at least not until you start criticising me directly for using the show as a learrning aid.

We're here to discuss The Wire as it unfolds on BBC2. Some might find your contributions about who is and who isn't 'hot' irritatingly banal but it's a thread abot the show as it unfolds and, if that's your angle, it's fine by me.

I'm not going to criticise you for it, at least not until you start criticising me directly for using the show as a learrning aid.

I dont have BBC2 so cant follow every episode in minute details so apologies if my banal and irritating contributions arent quite up to your standards. :D God, your attitude is funny. Dont worry, I will give your precious thread a wide berth from now on, wouldnt want to hinder your Wire phD. :)

Bye bye sweet cheeks. xxx

Im glad Omar did'nt drop SlimCharles,that fuckin Cheese though,hes a wrong un,bet even Marlo's got fuck all time for him,just someone to use on his way to the top.

Get a feeling that, given what happened last night [avoiding spoiler here], it's heading to an almighty bloodbath? Not just Omar v Marlo, but loads of other interested parties.

s'what I think a lot of you new viewers are missing. Marlo is a shark. And he'll attract his own ruthless kind. He's not on about no fucking co-op. Take corners, don't negotiate for em
Or in other words . . . Joe represented one kind of leadership, based on a degree of consensus while Marlo represents pure dictatorship. When Cheese bridled at the cooperative structure not allowing him to exercise his beef with Hungry Man Marlo saw the opportunity to put a wedge in

Back
Top Bottom