Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

The brands are often topical. WMD. Pandemic.

If they were selling in the UK would the brands be:

Recession get your recession.

or

Swine flu, swiiiiine flu.

It was in last nights episode.

There are so many mistakes on this thread recently.
Agree, Herc spoke about the b in subtle in the first hour of S5.

Omar says "Oh <comma> indeed".

The innovotive marketing (WMD, etc)is a reflection of what we see every day i.e. exactly the same product dressed up in different ways to create a distinct market and variety - as, say, water is marketed variously.

The drugs all come from the same source now.

So is it ok to use evacuate as a transative verb or not?
Was that journo right in pulling up his fellow female hack about it?
The b in subtle came later on from a cop,( last night's episode).

Agree, Herc spoke about the b in subtle in the first hour of S5.

Omar says "Oh <comma> indeed".

The innovotive marketing (WMD, etc)is a reflection of what we see every day i.e. exactly the same product dressed up in different ways to create a distinct market and variety - as, say, water is marketed variously.

Well exactly. Stringer did well.

All the co-op's does but not all the drugs in B-more.

The guys currently threatening the east side must be getting their's from somewhere other than the greeks.

I'd be surprised is the new york lot were't supplying someone. Its just not Avon any more.

I saw something on ITV last night starring Timothy Spall called Gun . . . something. A one-off drama, about 90 minutes without the adverts.

It was set around a south London estate where one of the local drug gangs sat around on a sofa - on the community grassy area, in the middle of the estate.

Plenty of drugs and gangs and guns and running around. Embarrassing: Unseemly shit.

I've driven around most of the places on that map. That area is about 12 blocks south and a couple of blocks east of where i lived for my first 4 years in Baltimore.

Funnilly enough I'm hoping to go to the states next year and visit a few 'regular' places rather than the usual tourist traps (Disney world etc.).

As a massive fan of The Wire I asked myself would i like to see B-More and locations from the show.

Considering that I'm a soft as shite middle aged white man would i meet serious hostilies?

Would you go in my situation?

Funnilly enough I'm hoping to go to the states next year and visit a few 'regular' places rather than the usual tourist traps (Disney world etc.).

As a massive fan of The Wire I asked myself would i like to see B-More and locations from the show.

Considering that I'm a soft as shite middle aged white man would i meet serious hostilies?

Would you go in my situation?
If you rent a car and drive around during the day, you should be fine. Even walking around some areas is probably OK, but leave your wallet with extra credit cards etc. in your hotel room, and don't go flashing expensive camera equipment.

Just as important, in some of these areas, is that you look like you have a purpose being there. If you stand around gawking like a tourist, especially if you're a white guy, you'll attract someone's attention pretty damn quickly.

While i really grew to love Baltimore during the 7+ years i lived there, it's not a city that rewards casual tourism or short-term visits very much. It's not like New York or San Francisco, or even Washington. There aren't as many obvious "destinations," and the main tourist area around the Inner Harbor is a fucking awful trap of bad shops and kitsch.

The CityPaper (the paper you linked to) is Baltimore's free alternative weekly newspaper, and is a good place to start for information. If you follow it online for a while, and check out the dining and entertainment sections, you can get an idea of some interesting things to do and places to go. The town has some great bars, good food, and interesting areas. If you decide to go, start a thread and i'll be happy to offer some advice and places to go.

I liked the city as well, but this was more than a decade ago. The only thing I'd as is to try and get the tourism done for the day befoe the schools finish - the only racism I've ever been subjected to was by groups of black kids after school, not necessariliy the end of the world but unpleasant.

Don't think it's been used in The Wire (according to the article, just the yard behind it) but from that the American Brewery building:
cp_americanbrew.jpg

How can a building like that get abandoned?

I saw something on ITV last night starring Timothy Spall called Gun . . . something. A one-off drama, about 90 minutes without the adverts.

It was set around a south London estate where one of the local drug gangs sat around on a sofa - on the community grassy area, in the middle of the estate.

Plenty of drugs and gangs and guns and running around. Embarrassing: Unseemly shit.
I saw that

I felt so ashamed for Paul Kaye as well

Turned it off in the end

Back
Top Bottom