Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

After watching series 4 last year I commented to a fellow fan that this particular series made me want to donate money to the Obama campaign.
We then had a discussion on whether The Wire and the issues it raised would have any influence on the elections. Very loose connections but I found these snippets of info very interesting:

'In January 2008, then–U.S. Senator Barack Obama was quoted in the Las Vegas Sun as saying that The Wire is his favorite show on television.'

'The fourth season of the television series The Wire commenced airing in the United States on September 10, 2006, concluded on December 10, 2006'

'On February 10, 2007, Obama announced his candidacy for President of the United States'

wht? why? who is obama-like in the wire? or you just you got a love for the darkies cos of the wire? im confused.

dave

But he loves his pigeons. Cold as he is he has that weird outlet.

Yeah, the barksdale boys were people who ran on character and heart. Marlo is a cold check to that sort of sentiment. Game the same, just got more fierce.

wht? why? who is obama-like in the wire? or you just you got a love for the darkies cos of the wire? im confused.

dave

Obama is obviously Omar. The gay guy who likes to steal from drug dealers.

Or he is kinda like Carcetti. Winning despite not being the usual colour for the job.

Apparantly Tyson realised his brutal power when an older lad was bullying him and pulled the head off his favourite pigeon, and Tyson lost his temper and took him apart

Yeh, I was just going to mention that! There were six of them, or something, and he knocked each one of them down, and kept them all down for about half an hour.

Or something along those lines.

And of course when Michael said "took it [the ring] off a nigga" Marlo would've assumed he'd taken it off Omar.

Respect.

i think the thing with the ring does tell us a lot about how property is seen in west baltimore - like omar says "money don't have no owners, only spenders" - this applies to any property - the only owner it has is the person who can take it, and not have it taken off of him.

Even if Marlo didn't assume it was omar that micheal took it off, he knows that micheal has at least taken it from someone - therefore he's a predator in the game, not the prey, and not someone who will be at the bottom of the food chain. it's what marks someone out, as deserving of some kind of respect.

there are also parallels here with bub and his shopping cart - that guy just takes his stuff, because bubs is weak, therefore doesn't get respect. officer walker also takes stuff from bubs - because he knows there wont be a comeback.

also seen where kenard steals namond's package - he senses that namond is weak, so tests him out. and also in marlo taking those lollipops - the guard knows he has got to step to, otherwise marlo would be there everyday taking. same applies to corners, with marlo taking the corner that bodie was working...he didn't want it when it was shit, but once it became valuable, he was having it. The ability to take, without fear of consequences - that's where the power is.

like namond etc say in the classroom - everybody always be watching. seeing waht you do, seeing if you are weak, and if you are weak, they'll come in and take it from you.

the simple fact of micheal having the ring shows marlo everything that he needs to know about what kind of person micheal is, and whether he'd be right for his organisation.

Would Marlo have thought that Michael was somehow connected to Omar? Hence he had the ring, maybe he thought it was a gift or something

hektik - As mentioned earlier, I agree DS is talking about the concept of property and ownership in west Baltimore. You pulled some nice references together. Omar's big rip is also interesting in that sense, especially in the re-selling.

More generally, the opening five minutes tonight has some fundamental clues if you want to try and work out what the hell is happening, at least as I worked it out.

A little underwhelmed by tonights ep - not sure if i can get excited about the goings on at a local newspaper. The Mr Prezbo, Carcetti, Sobotka plots have been great to run alongside the drug dealing stuff, showing the interaction with the drug trade.

The first time I watched it, I was underwhelmed.

But I know what happens.

I think this is definitely a series that will stand up to repeated viewings.

:cool:

A little underwhelmed by tonights ep - not sure if i can get excited about the goings on at a local newspaper. The Mr Prezbo, Carcetti, Sobotka plots have been great to run alongside the drug dealing stuff, showing the interaction with the drug trade.

Heh, wait for it. You know how the Wire goes now. Chapters not episodes.

Way down in the hoe. Whatever happened to the hole? Crispy you were right, season 5's theme bites the worst yet.

Gutted to see Naulty backsliding into his old ways.

Haulk gets thrown out, best thing that could have happened to him money wise, irony abounds.

I can't tell you its not different. It's whether you're up for a different kind of Wire: Are you interested enough in the characters to stick around - as DS said "fuck the casual viewer".

Sheeeit, what have they done to the theme tune? Sounds like Stevie Wonder played easy-listening style for a Berni Inn or summat.
:mad:

Back
Top Bottom