Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

yeah marlows original banker ran the rim shop.

andre ran that news agents that omar didn't rob(well the second time), didn't he??

dave

So, Marlo asked about the ring twice and was offered it twice. On the first occasion (with 'ol Face Andre) he accepted the tribute (in the Roaman sense), the second he didn't believe the tribute was necessary.

The other two times the ring passed, it was to the 'victor'.

Ok, that might be a start (or might not), but there's the hidden meaning as well and my first guess about that is that Simon is discussing something to do with how the notion of property is understood in west Baltmore. Time to ponder.

I do think it's a comment on power games tbf. Consider all the circumstances that ownership of the ring happens under. Full circle with Marlo not giving a fuck how michael got the ring, just that it was within his ability to possess.

I don't think anyone is going to claim DS doesn't tell in-jokes.

He did give a fuck because he asked about it. He just didn't want ownership this time.

I don't think anyone is going to claim DS doesn't tell in-jokes.

He did give a fuck because he asked about it. He just didn't want ownership this time.

because he had it offered. Marlo always struck me as a character who finds value in that which must be taken, through intimidation or force. Freely offered, he wasn't interested save as a 'I know that ring' sort of thing.

see also: his attitude to corners and the co-op

You boys are joining up dots I'm not seeing.

I see Marlo as several powers more sophisticated than that and I saw Michael as a young boy trying to stay out of the game.

Like Avon before him, Marlo is the king, the Caesar, with all with all the guile and complexity you afford to those types. He's not a jumped up Wee Bay.

You boys are joining up dots I'm not seeing.

I see Marlo as several powers more sophisticated than that and I saw Michael as a young boy trying to stay out of the game.

Like Avon before him, Marlo is the king, the Caesar, with all with all the guile and complexity you afford to those types. He's not a jumped up Wee Bay.

ah, but you know what it comes down to. These may be drug kings of Baltimore but in the end 'my name is my name'.

The sophistication is a veneer.

worth baring in mind w that marlo got it jacked off him by omar so probabley thought thats where michel got it from. Which would tie in with michel gradually becoming more and more of a g.

Theres things i want to say but i have a feeling it happens in season 5.

dave

worth baring in mind w that marlo got it jacked off him by omar so probabley thought thats where michel got it from. Which would tie in with michel gradually becoming more and more of a g.

Theres things i want to say but i have a feeling it happens in season 5.

dave

How did the nasty cop get it from Omar - i cannot recall

Marlo is far too violent and eager to kill. Bodie knew it, and became a victim of it.

All he did was get in a car with a 5-0. Old Face Andre, the fat bloke in the rim shop, Little Kev, and worst of all the Security Guard, all died without deserving to, apart from maybe Andre.

In any "game" i think he would eventually be taken out by his peers - brings too much heat down

I do think it's a comment on power games tbf. Consider all the circumstances that ownership of the ring happens under. Full circle with Marlo not giving a fuck how michael got the ring, just that it was within his ability to possess.

Also, it mirrors Michael turning down Marlo's money earlier on

Yup, agree with both points. All points to the fact that Michael has the power to go from pawn (soldier) to king one day I reckon... using the chess analogy of series one. imo, course.

In any "game" i think he would eventually be taken out by his peers - brings too much heat down
I bet Prop Joe and his organisation would'nt be too sorry to see him dead or in jail ,all these dead bodies are going to create a lot of heat .

Marlo is far too violent and eager to kill. Bodie knew it, and became a victim of it.

All he did was get in a car with a 5-0. Old Face Andre, the fat bloke in the rim shop, Little Kev, and worst of all the Security Guard, all died without deserving to, apart from maybe Andre.

Like the barksdale crew. You get the money, you get the corners, you get the towers and the power. Then your weak complacency is vulnerable to po-lice or an up n coming Marlo.

Like the barksdale crew. You get the money, you get the corners, you get the towers and the power. Then your weak complacency is vulnerable to po-lice or an up n coming Marlo.

but only cos stringer bitched out when avon was in the hole. Avon wouldn't have been run off by him, well if bay and bird were about too or stringer didn't try and play the nation of islam mother fucker.

dave

but only cos stringer bitched out when avon was in the hole. Avon wouldn't have been run off by him, well if bay and bird were about too or stringer didn't try and play the nation of islam mother fucker.

dave

yeah but shoulda, woulda, coulda

The empire rises and then falls. From Baltimore drug deals to historical fact. The taking is the easy part. The holding is the key.

But in last nights episode Marlo was even fucking with the Greek's boy, putting a tail on him.

If he fucks up the connection, i'd hope the co-op would drop him just on principle, let alone the missing out on cheap drugs.

Plus the po-lice had to put all the bodies in a school gym there were that many - motherfucker offs taxpayers too.

Dear old Stringer would not have ordered so many killed - he was more business first. Plus String, Prop Joe, Avon, Slim Charles, Bodie all have a kind of charm - marlo is a cold, dead-eyed psycho - never seems to have a laugh, or lighten up.

Made me laugh last night when Bunk said he wanted to go get some pussy, and Snoop said "me too" - just the way she said it creased me up.

After watching series 4 last year I commented to a fellow fan that this particular series made me want to donate money to the Obama campaign.
We then had a discussion on whether The Wire and the issues it raised would have any influence on the elections. Very loose connections but I found these snippets of info very interesting:

'In January 2008, then–U.S. Senator Barack Obama was quoted in the Las Vegas Sun as saying that The Wire is his favorite show on television.'

'The fourth season of the television series The Wire commenced airing in the United States on September 10, 2006, concluded on December 10, 2006'

'On February 10, 2007, Obama announced his candidacy for President of the United States'

Back
Top Bottom