Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The weather in the USA...

WTF is this thread now doing in the 'world politics, current affairs and news' forum? :confused:

.. why do I give a fuck?

Yes, I understand it's the most accessible, *media-friendly* story in the world, with endless dramatic images available and oodles of human interest angles, but it's a shit news story.

Especially when it is totally exaggerated by the media, trying to create a crisis out of a storm with 50 mph. winds.

We only have ourselves to blame, for actually watching the shit.

I agree, I also get pissed off with the amount of coverage of the circus known as the US presidential campaign, that seems to re-start just a few months after any fucking election and drag on for years, getting worst month by month as it gets closer to the next fucking election..

I've found a solution to that problem: I don't watch it.

I watch different channels. Sometimes, I watch a movie. Or I go on the internet.

If I didn't know people who are likely to be affected I'd be really pissed off by now.

)

If the news doesn't have some personal connection to you, you get pissed off if it's on?

If I'd had some personal connection with someone on the US east coast, I'd have actually watched more than two minutes of the coverage.

Btw, if you go to the 'Hurricane Irene' thread, you'll find a number of people who were avidly hanging on the Hurricane's every move. I guess the amount of coverage was worthwhile for them. :)

Regularly on the BBC news you see bits & pieces about all sorts of places in the US, political stuff, serious accidents, natural disasters etc. It often takes you right into the lives & homes of ordinary Americans, giving us quite a good insight into their lives. I'm wondering if US tv news gives Americans the same insight into UK folks lives on such a regular basis?

If you think Louis Theroux et al are giving you insight into the lives and homes of ordinary Americans, you'd be mistaken.:)

weather wise or....?
We do have news stories when there is severe weather in the UK and Europe. I always feel, and I think others do too, a bit protective and scared for you when you have big snowstorms or heatwaves or flooding. Here, we are more used to insane weather of all kinds.

There often seem to be stories about heatwaves hitting France or somewhere, and they have to bring in refrigerator trucks for the bodies of all the old people living in attics who die from heat exhaustion.

That's because that's news. I also post up lots of lovely photos of New York too.

Arguably, a shooting in Moline Illinois isn't really big news in the UK. Many many other things happen there each day.

I'm suggesting that the types of stories you and others tend to highlight in threads, help promote the stereotype of Americans with a bible in one hand and a gun in the other, as Yossarian said.

I'm suggesting that the types of stories you and others tend to highlight in threads, help promote the stereotype of Americans with a bible in one hand and a gun in the other, as Yossarian said.
What Bible stories have I been busy promoting recently then?

What Bible stories have I been busy promoting recently then?

:D

Actually, when I see one of those threads, I smile a little. It's you doing a yeoman's job at posting the kind of stories that are bound to draw lots of excited posting. It falls squarely within the job description of an 'editor'.

Actually, when I see one of those threads, I smile a little. It's you doing a yeoman's job at posting the kind of stories that are bound to draw lots of excited posting. It falls squarely within the job description of an 'editor'.
Ah, so you can't actually find any of these 'Bible stories' then? :D

Anyway, back on topic, here's a lifeguard's shack going walkies with the waves in NY:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14701620

This is the perfect example of the media tee-ing something up as being 'a big story' and then the gradual realisation dawning that it's not quite as much of a big deal as they'd hyped it up to be, in glorious knicker-wetting technicolour, but because they're fully committed to the story by then (resources-wise etc), they have to keep plugging away at it, with a gradually diminishing hope of anything really happening ...

(I now await mother nature proving me wrong by unleashing hell on the US east coast :facepalm: ;) )

Oh look, no proper news. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

Edit: I think the criticism based on reciprocity is misplaced, tbh. I don't actually care whether the USA is interested in reporting on GB. I do however care that the small amount of serious reporting capacity available for GB is being wasted hyperventilating over a bit of glorified weather.

I only find it sad in comparison to threads/posts that imply that the UK is so superior. At least be realistic and honest about your own society if you're going to rip up another one.

Btw, if you go to the 'Hurricane Irene' thread, you'll find a number of people who were avidly hanging on the Hurricane's every move. I guess the amount of coverage was worthwhile for them. :)

What a couple dozen posters on a thread that has attracted an average of about 100 views a day, on what is after all a very busy site, justifies the level of coverage on the UK news channels over the past few days?

It's fair enough to mention it, but the coverage has been well OTT and it's not only on here that people are questioning the time spent wasted on this weather story at the expense of real news.

What a couple dozen posters on a thread that has attracted an average of 100 views a day, on what is after all a very busy site, justifies the level of coverage on the UK news channels over the past few days?

It's fair enough to mention it, but the coverage has been well OTT and it's not only on here that people are questioning the time spent wasted on this weather story at the expense of real news.

Well, this is just a small website. There were probably others in the UK interested, if there were people here interested.

I agree that the coverage was ott, but it was only for 2 days. Probably not much of import got passed over in the last 48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom