Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The weather in the USA...

In the two days before it reached New York, I'd bet that the coverage equalled that given the earthquake in the two days following.

That's why this thread came into existence: british people complaining about the saturation coverage in their country, of a storm in the USA.

I've agreed all along that it's a valid point. Problem is that you keep downplaying the actual reality of the storm by focusing on what didn't happen rather than what did in order to prove your point. I don't see anyone disagreeing with your so-called point, I just don't see why you keep arguing about it and as a result, seeming offensive and insensitive.

I keep 'arguing', because you keep posting comments and questions directed at me.

Why is it a 'so called point'? Many commentators have discussed the era of hype reporting that we seem to have entered, in large part, imo, because of CNN.

I wasn't mistaken.

Btw, I think people are forgetting something. News shows have to get ratings just like any other tv program. Impending disaster keeps butts in seats more than 'it's a bit windy today'.

Yes you were mistaken.

Irene hit the coast of NC on August 27th.

You made this post that same day referring to a news report from the 26th - the day before Irene arrived:

"Exactly. Yesterday, I was watching CNN. The weatherman made a big fuss when the winds in North Carolina gusted up to..............wait for it...............50 mph. Gusts of 50 mph.:facepalm:"
Johnny Canuck3, Saturday at 4:06 PM http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/hurricane-irene.279843/page-3#post-10412353
Essentially what that reporter you saw was saying was, "it's not even here yet and the winds are 50 mph". It's not 'hype'. You just didn't understand what you were watching on tv.

I'm not sneering at anyone in Vermont.

I'm pointing out what I think is a valid point: networks like CNN sometimes [often] hype up stories in order to boost their ratings.

You've been every bit of disrespectful. You've tried to trivialize the hurricane and its effects. You weren't simply making the case that it gets too much attention.

Had you been better educated on what a hurricane is and understood what news reports on tv were communicating - you might have done a better job.

You've been every bit of disrespectful. You've tried to trivialize the hurricane and its effects. You weren't simply making the case that it gets too much attention.

Had you been better educated on what a hurricane is and understood what news reports on tv were communicating - you might have done a better job.

I've been satirical. My intention was to hold up for ridicule, the penchant of our for-profit news organizations to take every opportunity to sensationalize the news in order to earn larger profits.

I've been satirical. My intention was to hold up for ridicule, the penchant of our for-profit news organizations to take every opportunity to sensationalize the news in order to earn larger profits.

In some posts maybe - but in others like the one I quoted - that wasn't satire.

What I thought it meant, was that the windspeed indicator hit 50mph, and CNN weatherman Chad Myers made a little exclamation/fuss about it.

Judging from the thread - that's not true.

No hype in reporting that the wind was up to 50 mph when the hurricane hadn't even arrived yet.

To me this discussion seems disrespectful to the people/areas that did suffer massive damage. Who the fuck cares if some tv reporter was covering a certain area that was predicted to get hit by a cat.3 and only got hit by a tropical storm, and therefore had to be a bit dramatic and improvise?

For me, the fact that huge portions of Vermont and New York state etc, are still under water, roads and towns destroyed, and that Vt lost a few of its iconic covered bridges hits really close to home, and is very upsetting.

It's all well and good to sit there 100's or 1000's of miles away and sneer, but it's pissing me off.

I'm within the 100 mile limit and I'm not sneering.

I feel bad for Vermont, but I also feel bad for Quebec. One of the death's from the storm were in Quebec, and I'm betting that it's only the Canadian press that covered it. It's as if the press, and some Americans, seem to think that the storm finished at the US border.

Out of curiosity, did the Eastern States cover anything about the flooding in the Richelieu Valley this spring?

I'm within the 100 mile limit and I'm not sneering.

I feel bad for Vermont, but I also feel bad for Quebec. One of the death's from the storm were in Quebec, and I'm betting that it's only the Canadian press that covered it. It's as if the press, and some Americans, seem to think that the storm finished at the US border.

Out of curiosity, did the Eastern States cover anything about the flooding in the Richelieu Valley this spring?

They usually cover things like that. True they don't spend a lot of time on it though.

It really can't be said to compare - the 100s of millions on the east coast v. 5 to 6 thousand people that choose to live in the wilderness.

Yeah been seeing stuff like this on Twitter. Looks pretty grim:

This article has pictures of before (2020) and this year.

Totally mind blowing how much the water levels are down.

total aside: I wonder when the climate change deniers will accept the fact that the climate is changing and the scientists, etc. were right.

Soon the migrant trains coming up from Central America will be ploughing straight through and past the United States up into Canada

I’ve no clue how they coping now but round about the time I left for good in 2015, Los Angeles only had about 1 years supply of water backed up in their reservoirs.

Back
Top Bottom