Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The weather in the USA...

It happens every year and we'll continue to see the same images every year. And every year it'll be "potentially" the worst hurricane in 'living memory'.
Hurricanes hitting New York, their transport system being shut down and evacuation do not happen every year.

Yes, they know all the chaps wear bowler hats, we all take afternoon tea, the Queen does actually have some purpose and we must know their relative that lives in London. :cool:

I was in a pub in new york and a guy at the bar was genuinely asking me if I knew 'Bob' from Liverpool.

No - but I'm not sure most people from the UK know much about the Americans. (And I'm talking proper stuff - not what you saw in a film!)
Regularly on the BBC news you see bits & pieces about all sorts of places in the US, political stuff, serious accidents, natural disasters etc. It often takes you right into the lives & homes of ordinary Americans, giving us quite a good insight into their lives. I'm wondering if US tv news gives Americans the same insight into UK folks lives on such a regular basis?

Regularly on the BBC news you see bits & pieces about all sorts of places in the US, political stuff, serious accidents, natural disasters etc. It often takes you right into the lives & homes of ordinary Americans, giving us quite a good insight into their lives. I'm wondering if US tv news gives Americans the same insight into UK folks lives on such a regular basis?

no

Do Americans know as much about the UK as we know about them?

weather wise or....?
We do have news stories when there is severe weather in the UK and Europe. I always feel, and I think others do too, a bit protective and scared for you when you have big snowstorms or heatwaves or flooding. Here, we are more used to insane weather of all kinds.

weather wise or....?
We do have news stories when there is severe weather in the UK and Europe. I always feel, and I think others do too, a bit protective and scared for you when you have big snowstorms or heatwaves or flooding. Here, we are more used to insane weather of all kinds.
Yes I mean't any sort of news story really. Thats sweet thing to say tho, when it snows in the UK the worst problem is that its actually too warm causing freeze/thaw & ice. If it just stayed at -20 like it does in Butte, Montana or similar we'ed probably be ok.

We don't get twisters taking out half a town but we had one that took out a few houses in London a couple of yrs ago. :)

I don't really watch the news although I followed the tornado story. The riots made their news - however how many of them watched that?

Having American family, I can only say I have some insight into how people in Kansas/Missouri live. I wouldn't like to pass an opinion on the rest of the country.

(in reply to saskiajayne)
no really I worry, also because cars aren't equipped for it and you don't have the municipal snow-plow capabilities we have here.
and also, no, we don't get as much UK or Europe news as you get of the US. But it depends on where we get our news from. I get local news about local stuff and BCC news about worldwide stuff.

we had 3 unusual events recently too here in Mass. A tornado a few months ago (that actually destroyed buildings and stuff), an earthquake a week ago or so, and now this hurricane (most die out by the time they reach us or go out to sea)

I don't really watch the news although I followed the tornado story. The riots made their news - however how many of them watched that?

Having American family, I can only say I have some insight into how people in Kansas/Missouri live. I wouldn't like to pass an opinion on the rest of the country.

Oh trust me the riots were big news.

.. why do I give a fuck?

Yes, I understand it's the most accessible, *media-friendly* story in the world, with endless dramatic images available and oodles of human interest angles, but it's a shit news story.

It happens every year and we'll continue to see the same images every year. And every year it'll be "potentially" the worst hurricane in 'living memory'.

What next?

Countdown's on for the big tenth anniversary of youknowwhat. Time to unplug the TV, turn off the radio and chuck the computer in the attic. Enjoy. :)

Their news stories generally portray a rather curious view of the UK. We're either bowler hatted toffs spouting Shakespeare or feral looters on the rampage.

TBF, a lot of people in the UK seem to think most Americans are ignorant xenophobes with a gun in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Some of them do know the UK (which they call "England") exists, but mostly they think "overseas" and "hell" are the same place. :(

TBF, a lot of people in the UK seem to think most Americans are ignorant xenophobes with a gun in one hand and a Bible in the other.
Not so sure if that's true at all considering the enormous popularity of US film/TV culture over here.

Um.. and where do you think the US stereotypes of Brits come from?
Yes -I agree that some of the stereotypes come from film/tv. However I think we get exposed more to American tv/film than the American get exposed to UK tv/film. (though my gran was catching up on antiques road show over there!)

Because we have so many different stereotypes thrust at us (ugly betty/friends/desperate housewives/fraiser/Dexter/csi), we have a better opportunity to make up our minds about what we think is realistic or not.

I use to love watching Roseanne because that seemed closer to the American life that I had come across as a kid. (and it's funny!)

I can tell you this, because I know. US news does not cover the goings on in Europe. It astonished me when I found out! America is the world, to an American audience. Sad, isn't it? But sadder still is the uptake of American mores that have made their insidious way into the mind-set of this country since the end of the war, one way or another. Still going on, I fear.

I can tell you this, because I know. US news does not cover the goings on in Europe. It astonished me when I found out! America is the world, to an American audience. Sad, isn't it? But sadder still is the uptake of American mores that have made their insidious way into the mind-set of this country since the end of the war, one way or another. Still going on, I fear.

I'm gonna have words with my dad about this. Bleeding immigrants coming over here, taking our women, procreating - terrible stuff. I was indoctrinated wiht a diet of hash browns and home made beef burgers. :(

I there are some in power and in the mdeia in the UK that do have somewhat of an American-obsession, but I think part of it is based on the language, and is shown with other English-speaking countries, and likewise with other language-linked countires.

For example, to help improve my French, I listen to a 10 minute podcast each day in French and read various French news sites. When the earthquake hit New Zealand earlier this year, we got a lot of coverage in the British media, but there was relatively little in the French media. Counter to this, they've had a lot more coverage than us of the post-election tussle in the Ivory Coast.

I got sick of the hurricane coverage too. Non stop for days & it's still going on....the cleanup, the aftermath etc.

US coverage of "England?"....Queen, Prince X, Princess X, palaces, socialized medicine, Prime Minister's Questions (for news junkies), everyone proper & civilized (those riots were really a surprise.)

Back
Top Bottom