Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Extreme Weather Watch

I've been reading a bit recently about extratropical cyclones like Storm Dennis and the 1987 hurricane. I haven't really been able to find much about how these are impacted by climate change, but I guess they must be?

Worst drought in century devastates Southern Africa, millions at risk
aljazeera. 15 Oct 2024
Millions of people across Southern Africa are going hungry due to a historic drought, risking a full-scale humanitarian catastrophe, the United Nations has warned.

Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe have all declared a state of national disaster in the past months as the drought has destroyed crops and livestock. Angola and Mozambique are also severely affected, the UN’s World Food Programme (WFP) said in a briefing on Tuesday, warning that the crisis is expected to deepen until the next harvests in March or April 2025.

I've been reading a bit recently about extratropical cyclones like Storm Dennis and the 1987 hurricane. I haven't really been able to find much about how these are impacted by climate change, but I guess they must be?
AFAIK, the basic idea is that increased warmth in the temperate zones increases the thermal/pressure gradients that drive the jet stream. More jet streaks will cause more extra-tropical cyclones to 'bomb' or deepen explosively.

Maybe like this one? Hang on to your hats in the N & W....

Listening to A Furious Sky at the moment, a book about the history of US hurricanes. The first hurricane research planes actually came about from a bet between US and UK pilots during WWII. The UK pilots had laughed at the Americans for their fear of hurricanes which they believed were just 'bad thunderstorms' and an American pilot made a bet about flying into the eye of what amounted to a Category 1 cyclone. The result showed that a plane could theoretically fly through a hurricane without being damaged and gave rise to the 'hurricane hunters' meteorological aircraft which measured the pressure etc. You would have to be pretty brave/crazy to do such a thing though. :eek:

ETA: Apparently hurricane modification conspiracies have been around for a long time. It was attempted to hit a hurricane with silver iodide in hopes of weakening it. Kurt Vonnegut's older brother was actually involved. However, the hurricane actually changed direction rather than weakening although this was nothing to do with the cloud seeding, but not everyone was convinced.

Last edited:
The latest hurricane may be the smallest on record, hence it wasn't detected by satellites, only when a plane flew directly into it. It hit Cuba, which has already been suffering a nationwide power outage for 3 days, and there are fears that many people who needed to prepare or evacuate may not have done so. :(

The latest hurricane may be the smallest on record, hence it wasn't detected by satellites, only when a plane flew directly into it. It hit Cuba, which has already been suffering a nationwide power outage for 3 days, and there are fears that many people who needed to prepare or evacuate may not have done so. :(

Never ending US sanctions on Cuba are one of those things that makes my blood pressure go from 0-100 .... and then as if things arent bad enough... 😤...Haiti another....no justice in this word

Never ending US sanctions on Cuba are one of those things that makes my blood pressure go from 0-100 .... and then as if things arent bad enough... 😤...Haiti another....no justice in this word
All those places have been totally exploited by US/UK/French etc colonialism right? And Guantanamo Bay is still in US hands. The Bahamas is still recovering from a hurricane a few years ago iirc

Back
Top Bottom