Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The weather in the USA...

atrocious conditions in Buffalo, Rochester, Ontario

At least three deaths in Buffalo:

A Buffalo man was found frozen to death on his 56th birthday during the historic winter storm which pummeled the region Christmas Eve, his family said.

Relatives identified William Clay as the person found lying face down in the snow at Bailey and Kensington avenues in Eerie County.

Disturbing video of the frozen body began to circulate online after it was discovered early Saturday morning, WGRV reported.

City officials later confirmed that it was the third death in the county during the monster snowstorm.

Hours later, she revealed he was found dead and set up a GoFundMe to cover his funeral expenses.

“I am the sister of the gentleman that lost his life during the 2022 Blizzard on 12/24/2022,” she wrote on the fundraising page.

“My brother unexpectedly lost his life on his Birthday,” she added.

Another relative, Laura LaShomb, informed friends and family on family on Facebook that Clay was “found frozen” after he “went to the store.”

LaShomb said Clay suffered a mental illness and may have not been on his medication.

According to Sophie, Clay lived less than a mile from where his body was found.

[/QUOTE]

This gentleman evidently went off his meds and wandered into the storm and froze. In a blizzard you can get lost pretty fast.

<edited to add>
Upgrade that to seven:

The current temp here is 3 degrees F (-16 c). I'm told its only going to get colder as the week goes on and they're expecting a blizzard starting tomorrow and -11 F (-24 c) temp on Thursday. The wind chills will be deadly. Usually, we don't get weather this cold until February. I've turned the heat down to the lowest level possible without letting the pipes freeze.
That plus keeping some extra blankets on exposed indoor pipes might work?

I have a cousin in California who says anything and everything that happens is god’s plan, and the real life is the afterlife; nothing that happens here matters so long as you adhere to biblical doctrine. So climate change isn’t a problem, it’s gods‘s plan. Outcomes of climate change are part of that plan.

I haven’t spoken to him for several years but I’m guessing he’s now saying he expects the rapture within his lifetime.
Same people say "God will provide" for everything that will be received by that person. I used to work with someone who would constantly "not worry because God will provide when it's possible". He also thought certain things didn't happen and some sciences were false. Which is why he homeschooled his kids.

Some of the wind chills across the US are projected to be in the -50 F to -65 F range this week.

I'm wondering how Texas will fare. Last year their grid went down when it got really cold. None of their grid is hardened for freezing temperatures, and they've basically done nothing to fix that since last year.
I have a friend who was in Texas at the time the grids went down. It was her first major snow storm.. in her (then) 24 years of living on this Earth. She was born and raised in Florida and had only been in snow for 2 weeks in Chicago for school. She was so excited to drive a cute little Mustang car around... on black ice, in snow drifts... I had to remind her she's never driven in that type of weather and that it's not to be taken lightly. After almost getting herself in an accident a couple times, she started to heed my warnings. She's glad she and her fiancé moved back to Florida after living through that storm (and other challenges that year).

the precip is here but the news is that it'll be 56 at daybreak friday and 12 at daybreak saturday. meanwhile, my bud in FL said it was 70 there today and he went swimming :snarl:
Currently "feels like" 39° (3.888889°C) but the actual temp says it's 45° (7.222222°C) here in Southwest Florida. Not so sunny; looks like snow and I'm waiting for it.

Currently "feels like" 39° (3.888889°C) but the actual temp says it's 45° (7.222222°C) here in Southwest Florida. Not so sunny; looks like snow and I'm waiting for it.

well my bud got his payback: the power failed and he was texting me "in two sweaters and a cap" (SE Florida).

petee Oops! 😄:facepalm:

Yea, everyone told us today (at a Christmas party), they've had their heat on in the house since yesterday. My mom and I have had the windows open and the cold air feels nice, only because we're finally getting "better" air circulating than that of what we've been using lately (fans, air conditioning). The fresh air is so much better.. even though its in the low 40sF and my mom is bundled up.

Since we moved to Florida (August 2011), we haven't used the heat in this house and we have no plans to. It's called "double layers" and is what we used in Massachusetts (even with the heat on and the snow blowing).

Oh, and we have power.

There's a lot of grim stories coming out of the Buffalo area, sounds like conditions were terrifying - also a lot of stories about people pulling together to help out, one couple spent Christmas with a group of Korean tourists whose bus was stranded outside their home.

Leon Horace Miller, 52, of Buffalo, transformed his landscaping and snow plow company into a rescue operation. By late afternoon on Christmas Day he had dislodged 14 people from snow banks or moved them out of unheated homes that had lost power. “It’s been nonstop since Friday,” Mr. Miller said. “Everyone knows I have big trucks.”

Perhaps the most unlikely blizzard development occurred when Alexander and Andrea Campagna answered a knock at their door on Friday. Outside were nine Korean tourists on their way from Washington, D.C., to Niagara Falls, whose tour bus was stuck in the snow in front of their house.

The Campagnas quickly invited them in, which is how they found themselves eating jeyuk bokkeum, a Korean stir-fried pork dish, prepared by some of their guests, on Christmas Eve. The visitors were delighted to discover that the couple, fans of Korean food, had all the traditional ingredients on hand.

The death toll and reports will more than likely keep climbing before the week is over. What a sad way to end the year for that area of the country. The devastation this blizzard is creating is horrible.

On other news, I just read headline about an "atmospheric river" that's starting to bring rain and snow to parts of California. Something about it could lead to loads of flooding in areas due to heavy rain.

This world is going to hell quickly in the weather department...

I sort of understand when you have to go out in that sort of weather: you make sure that nothing at all is exposed to the conditions. What I don't understand is how people get by at home. I can imagine that Canadian homes are properly insulated with wood stores to heat them but American ones in cities? Are they properly insulated and if not how do people survive? It was bad enough here when temperatures went down to -5 C at night, I found it really difficult to even get started.

The words "weakening of the Gulf Stream" concern me most of all, since I can quite see that happening over here at some point :eek:

.. why do I give a fuck?

Yes, I understand it's the most accessible, media-friendly story in the world, with endless dramatic images available and oodles of human interest angles, but it's a shit news story.

It happens every year and we'll continue to see the same images every year. And every year it'll be "potentially" the worst hurricane in 'living memory'.

What next, sunshine breaks out over Malaga? Old folks die of heat exhaustion?

And it just happens to coincide with the UK and USA engaging in a huge manhunt for that dictator chappy that isn't actually a manhunt because that would constitute state-sponsored murder and a war crime so it's *really" about weakening the regime so it can't kill civillians, the same civillians UK special forces have been training and equipping for months on end. Etc, etc.

/I'm less grumpy after breakfast, or lunch, maybe dinner
I totally agree the whole topic is exaggerated tripe. I remember the BBC back in the early 2000's doing a news night scare peice on the Maldives about to be submerged beneath the oceans. The reporter walked along the beach stating somberly that in fifty years time the sea would be above his head, well that was 20 odd years ago and he was about six feet tall so it should have risen at least a couple of feet by now,,,, bhutb it hasn't budged an inch; do the BBC aplogise for scaremongering.........like heck they do

The death toll and reports will more than likely keep climbing before the week is over. What a sad way to end the year for that area of the country. The devastation this blizzard is creating is horrible.

On other news, I just read headline about an "atmospheric river" that's starting to bring rain and snow to parts of California. Something about it could lead to loads of flooding in areas due to heavy rain.

Yes the new 'buzz word'

I agree, I also get pissed off with the amount of coverage of the circus known as the US presidential campaign, that seems to re-start just a few months after any fucking election and drag on for years, getting worst month by month as it gets closer to the next fucking election.

FFS - there's a whole world out there, beyond the US of fucking A, that needs reporting on. :mad:

/I'll be less grumpy after my morning workout.
As Trotsky said when he experienced America " it was like glimpsing into the workshop where the future of the world was being forged"

I sort of understand when you have to go out in that sort of weather: you make sure that nothing at all is exposed to the conditions. What I don't understand is how people get by at home. I can imagine that Canadian homes are properly insulated with wood stores to heat them but American ones in cities? Are they properly insulated and if not how do people survive? It was bad enough here when temperatures went down to -5 C at night, I found it really difficult to even get started.

The words "weakening of the Gulf Stream" concern me most of all, since I can quite see that happening over here at some point :eek:
All this scaremongering as the trillions of dollars roll in. There is not one UKseaside town ice cream van that has yet changed its route due to rising sea levels in the last 100 years

I totally agree the whole topic is exaggerated tripe. I remember the BBC back in the early 2000's doing a news night scare peice on the Maldives about to be submerged beneath the oceans. The reporter walked along the beach stating somberly that in fifty years time the sea would be above his head, well that was 20 odd years ago and he was about six feet tall so it should have risen at least a couple of feet by now,,,, bhutb it hasn't budged an inch; do the BBC aplogise for scaremongering.........like heck they do
What part of this do you dispute?

1672237903723.png

Here. Time to educate yourself.

The ground under Bryony Nierop-Reading's bungalow fell into the sea in 2013 and there's now a safety barrier across her street which ends abruptly at the top of the cliff.
"Road Closed" the red-and-white sign says. On it are handwritten dates and numbers where for the past six months the 77-year-old has been documenting the retreating tarmac.
"Eight metres in December 2021, it's 3.4 metres now," she says with a sigh.
Bryony has good reason to monitor the erosion. When her bungalow was demolished, she chose to move just 50m up the road to a house that is also destined to crumble into the sea. "It'll probably last until 2030," she says.

metofficegovuk%3Amd

You sound sensible.

Well done for quoting a post from 11 years ago you thick climate change denying cunt. Fuck back off from where you came from Lawrence13.

I first heard about atmospheric rivers when the UK was experiencing rain and flooding like a bath overflowing. I think it was 2019-2020…?

I‘m certainly no expert and I’m sure someone on here knows a great deal more than I do about all this.

Some atmospheric rivers are pretty constant, like the one over the Amazon basin, while others form and then dissipate.

The rivers move about like the Gulf Stream does, but sometimes they get stuck because of prevailing weather systems and the water just pours out of them over one location for as long as the atmospheric river is stuck there.

Climate change predictions suggest they’re going to get longer, wider and more wet, and possibly more frequent too.

I first heard about atmospheric rivers when the UK was experiencing rain and flooding like a bath overflowing. I think it was 2019-2020…?

I‘m certainly no expert and I’m sure someone on here knows a great deal more than I do about all this.

Some atmospheric rivers are pretty constant, like the one over the Amazon basin, while others form and then dissipate.

The rivers move about like the Gulf Stream does, but sometimes they get stuck because of prevailing weather systems and the water just pours out of them over one location for as long as the atmospheric river is stuck there.

Climate change predictions suggest they’re going to get longer, wider and more wet, and possibly more frequent too.
I think the phrase is used to refer to jet streams which do indeed determine our weather and climate.

Back
Top Bottom