Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The UK's "top 15 favourite TV catchphrases"

Go to any Thai island, let it be known you're from the UK and you're sure to get a 'lovely jubbly' from a guitar boy. Bewildering.
<sigh> not just Thai islands. It seems that everywhere from Turkey, Finland, Georgia, India, Malaysia and countless others. "Where are you from?" "UK" "Ah, lovely jubbly". Fuck Off! I fucking hate Only Fool And Horses, mostly for this reason. Please understand I'm relating my inner monologue, I don't really travel the world telling people to fuck off.

I'm old enough to remember "left a bit, right a bit, fire" from the Golden Shot, but never actually seen it so it must have been a popular catchphrase.
Bernie the Bolt was a catchphrase of sorts. Always wondered why it was a bolt and not an arrow....

I really don't want to have to share a country with people who like Gavin and Stacey.

And in any case, 'what's occurin' is just standard Welsh vernacular AFAIK, not something the show came up with.

I really don't want to have to share a country with people who like Gavin and Stacey.

And in any case, 'what's occurin' is just standard Welsh vernacular AFAIK, not something the show came up with.
I'm neither welsh nor a fan of Gavin and Stacey, but I'm sure I was familiar with the phrase "what's occurring?" ages ago, possibly back in the 80s or 90s

Indeed but the show absolutely put the phrase into the mainstream.

Lovely Jubbly's still pretty common in London but I'm not sure why "how you doin?" and "what's occurring?" are attributed to Friends and Gavin and Stacey when both are phrases that have been in general use since Noah was a boy.

You plonker isn't a catchphrase, it's just an insult you say when your Nan's in hearing range. And they didn't invent lovely jubbly, same as Gavin and Stacey didn't invent what's occurring. I mean, if people were saying these lines long before the show existed, and people who've never seen those shows use them, they can't really be counted as catchphrases.

There's nothing even unusual about the way they say them. "I don't believe it" and "how you doing" are both said in a different way to the bare phrases.

Most of my faves come from the young ones. i.e. "right kids?" "I hope you're satisfied Thatcher!" "Oh Outspan!" and "mmm...yeah... that's me out you see....Perforated eardrum."
Emma Thompson spent an afternoon in my organisation’s HQ in Yangon in 2011. I had to show her around, introduce her to various people etc and I’m still kicking myself that I didn't get her to say “I’ve got a Porsche”.

It does feel like it's favourite as in "fondly remembered" rather than "oft used".

Might have expected "say what you see" or "it's good, but it's not right" to be on there.

Out of the black and into the red, nothing in this game for 2 in a bed

You've got the time it takes for the board to revolve

101 in 6 darts or less, or you'll get nothing but your BFH

I don't watch a lot of telly. Just Bullseye.

Oh and Friday Night Dinner. Shit on it!

Back
Top Bottom