Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trump presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever eventually comes will never be a patch on the ACA, which in itself was seriously watered down to get the GOP to let it through.

Not a single Republican voted for the ACA, this is a lie. The ACA was watered down to appease the Democrats' health insurance donors and satisfy their ideological tendencies.

U

Aye, when I mentioned his attitude to Hispanics I was thinking of those who entered across the Mexican border.
Yep, and it's what makes the figures for the Hispanic vote look a bit squiffy. If you were to take Cuban Americans out, support for Trump would have been much lower.

This Trump voter is torn between support for the president and an Obamacare plan that saved her life

From what my sister says, there will be a lot of people in my old home town in exactly the same boat. They finally got insurance cover under the Affordable Care Act, but they liked what Trump was saying on the campaign trail. They gambled that he was telling the truth about all those things and fibbing about repealing "Obamacare" and put their cross by his name. They're hoping he'll come out with something better to replace it of course, but steps are already being taken to unravel the ACA with nothing to replace it. Whatever eventually comes will never be a patch on the ACA, which in itself was seriously watered down to get the GOP to let it through.

If these stupid Trump voters live another four years, they'll figure out a way to vote for the other candidate, or they'll have swallowed some bullshit about the Democrats being the ones who pulled the plug.
Hasn't the GOP managed to put his plans regarding the ACA on hold?

Romney and McCain didn't win. The article is about how

Neither McCain nor Romney became President.
May be missing something but neither McCain or Romney were ever in the running to be President. Only the nominees from the 2 parties and any independents on the ballot are in the race for President. Candidates will sometimes pick one of the "also-rans" as a running mate, particularly if they want to capture their supporters, though.

May be missing something but neither McCain or Romney were ever in the running to be President. Only the nominees from the 2 parties and any independents on the ballot are in the race for President.
Erm, didn't McCain stand against Obama first time around and Romney second time around? This last election isn't the only one people talk about.

Hasn't the GOP managed to put his plans regarding the ACA on hold?

Sort of. I think they're surprised to be getting blow back from constituents on this, but they're also determined not to keep it "as is." The sting of anything with the name "Obama" attached to it would be too much to bear.

This article explains a bit about the shambles they've got planned at the moment. Problem is, there are quite a few insurers already closing plans that they've offered specifically as part of the ACA system in anticipation of a repeal or replacement. People are already getting notice of coverage coming to an end within weeks. That will have a negative impact even if the GOP don't touch it, and they are dying to get their sticky fingers all over it.

Erm, didn't McCain stand against Obama first time around and Romney second time around? This last election isn't the only one people talk about.
Okay, good point. I thought the discussion was about the Trump presidency as per the title, but no worries. Other elections are available. :)

in fact the statistics place him well within what you might expect for your standard Republican candidate.

That's right. McCain and Romney did worse with black voters, because they were running against a charismatic black candidate; and a charismatic black incumbent President.

When the Democrats were no longer running a black candidate [i.e. the 2016 election], the black Republican vote returned to historically average figures.

In other words, the facts don't support a narrative that a multi-ethnic coalition of American workers responded to some sort of clarion call from Trump to throw off the yolk of the elites.

That didn't happen. What happened is that when the Democratic candidate wasn't Obama, black Republican voting numbers returned to about what would be expected. There was no spike of black voters getting Trump's 'message', and voting for him.

In other words, the facts don't support a narrative that a multi-ethnic coalition of American workers responded to some sort of clarion call from Trump to throw off the yolk of the elites.

No one is saying this, you are being disgustingly dishonest.

The original contention was that there were black and Hispanic voters who voted for Trump.

That's all you've been saying all this time - that some blacks and Hispanics voted for Trump? Has anyone ever said that no Hispanics or blacks voted for Trump?

No?

Then why have you felt it necessary to continually restate the obvious?

The original contention was that there were black and Hispanic voters who voted for Trump, that's it.
Where did anyone dispute that? My take on the comments is that he alienated most black and Hispanic voters,with the result far fewer voted for him, with the exception of the Cubans.

I like this! :)

C5i9B1YWMAAySWJ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom