Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Thick of it??

ive no idea who iannucci is tbh... and i piss myself watchin it, so there goes your theory :p
I was talking about press lionisation. You aren't press.

We obviously have different tastes. You are entitled to like it. But this episode didn't even make me smile inwardly. The data loss episode was better. But based on these two episodes, I have to conclude that this isn't for me.

I was talking about press lionisation. You aren't press.

We obviously have different tastes. You are entitled to like it. But this episode didn't even make me smile inwardly. The data loss episode was better. But based on these two episodes, I have to conclude that this isn't for me.

If father ted is your number 1 comedy of all time then, yes, we have vastly different tastes. i've got a pretty dark, bitter sense of humor so this and anything gervais churns out are my kinda shit. father ted was amusing. but a bit family.

If father ted is your number 1 comedy of all time then, yes, we have vastly different tastes. i've got a pretty dark, bitter sense of humor so this and anything gervais churns out are my kinda shit. father ted was amusing. but a bit family.
:D "Dark". It's got nothing to do with "dark". It's to do with funny.

But, I hate Gervais. Annoying, unamusing twat that he is.

:D "Dark". It's got nothing to do with "dark". It's to do with funny.

But, I hate Gervais. Annoying, unamusing twat that he is.

It is dark. That's why it's funny.

Gervais IS annoying and unamusing. That's why he's funny.

Never the twain shall meet i guess

Historically, Father Ted and currently, Outnumbered.

I missed Thick Of It until now. I'm quite prepared to believe that previous series were better, or that you have to get to know the characters. But based on the two episodes I've seen, it is over rated, and probably gets the lionisation it gets because of Iannucci's track record.

Haven't heard of Outnumbered. Father Ted was a laff but I don’t think it’s anything compared to The Thick Of It in terms of writing, acting or plot development. I suppose if you prefer more blatant, less subtle humor it’s preferable.

But no way is The Thick Of It lionized simply because its written by Iannucci. Time Trumpet and the Friday Night Armistice never received such critical acclaim. The Thick Of It is a fucking lion - well written, well executed comedy. Whether it’s funny or not is subjective, but the idea that its popularity is a product of hype is bullshit.

Haven't heard of Outnumbered. Father Ted was a laff but I don’t think it’s anything compared to The Thick Of It in terms of writing, acting or plot development. I suppose if you prefer more blatant, less subtle humor it’s preferable.
No, I'm very happy to see good writing and subtlety. (I don't need my comedy to be like Father Ted. I was just asked a question, and gave an answer).

I'm not enjoying this series as much as the first I must say - it seems to have become more centred on Malcolm, who's a great character but should be used more sparingly.

And that's what you think the Thick of It is like? (I've only seen 2 episodes, so maybe it is the rest of the time...).

Very much so. Its centred on bullying. A chain of bullying. Which for whatever reason i find amusing. Not sure what that says about me of course :(

Very much so. Its centred on bullying. A chain of bullying. Which for whatever reason i find amusing. Not sure what that says about me of course :(
Ah, right. I didn't find what I saw particularly "dark". And I'm sure a funny comedy could be written about it. But I didn't think this was it. And I didn't think the episodes I saw were at all subtle (everything was telegraphed), and I didn't think the last one was even very well written. It was a mess, and relied heavily on the character of Malcolm (which was well-played, admittedly) and presumably on past knowledge of the character.

It's fast pace, which takes some getting used to, and it's certainly chaotic - that's very much intentional given it's subject matter. In that sense I don't think the criticism that it was "a mess" holds much weight. There was order to the chaos, which perhaps takes a few watches in order to appreciate.

It's fast pace, which takes some getting used to, and it's certainly chaotic - that's very much intentional given it's subject matter. In that sense I don't think the criticism that it was "a mess" holds much weight. There was order to the chaos, which perhaps takes a few watches in order to appreciate.
I get the pace, thing. Honestly, I've watched TV before. I'm aware of modern developments in programmed making. And I'm aware of Iannucci's style. Everyone how has watched TV in the last 15 years gets that.

I'm referring, when I call that last episode 'a mess', to structure, narrative arc, and so on. It was a badly put together episode, in my opinion. The data loss episode was better-written.

Do you think that last episode a good one? A representative one?

I thought it was a goodun, it's all about pretty awful human beings having really awful things happen to them through a mix of Murphy's Law and their own incompetence and then trying to get out of it.

Oh, and it's a bit sweary too :D

I get the pace, thing. Honestly, I've watched TV before. I'm aware of modern developments in programmed making. And I'm aware of Iannucci's style. Everyone how has watched TV in the last 15 years gets that.

I'm referring, when I call that last episode 'a mess', to structure, narrative arc, and so on. It was a badly put together episode, in my opinion. The data loss episode was better-written.

Actually I have to say that I don't think this series is proving to be up to the standards of past ones so far; there are good bits but there seems to be a fair amount of filler between them, which can be carried by the quality of the cast, and the plots don't seem quite as tight as normal. Also there seems to be quite a lot more "comedy of embarrassment" scenes, which I don't really like; the minister making a fool of herself in front of people again by being nervous and talking nonsense, yawn. I don't end up LingOL nearly as much as I have in the past.

Still, I shall keep watching.

Actually I have to say that I don't think this series is proving to be up to the standards of past ones so far; there are good bits but there seems to be a fair amount of filler between them, which can be carried by the quality of the cast, and the plots don't seem quite as tight as normal. Also there seems to be quite a lot more "comedy of embarrassment" scenes, which I don't really like; the minister making a fool of herself in front of people again by being nervous and talking nonsense, yawn. I don't end up LingOL nearly as much as I have in the past..
Ah, OK, that makes sense. I'd agree with your analysis (filler, too much "comedy of embarrassment", looseness of plot, carried by the cast etc). And it makes sense that quality has declined. If this episode was representative, then his writing has seriously declined since Partridge. Which would be a shame.

Malcolm v Glenn is completely LOL. Whatever the merits of the rest of it that was hilarious.

I'm at a loss as to why you think the structure was a 'mess' or what you mean by 'badly put togeather'. The structure to my mind was entirely suited to the series objective, which is basically to shine a light behind the scenes on machiavellian power jostling and media management in a variety of different political settings and contexts. In what way could the structure have been better?

As for the "narrative arc", in what sense are you able to assess it given that, by your own admission, you've only watched two episodes out of three seasons?

If you'd just said "it's not my cup of tea" then I'd have thought fair enough, but I don't see any validity in your more substantive criticisms which seem to me to be either to so vague as to be meaningless or criticising the show for what it's not supposed to be.

I'm at a loss as to why you think the structure was a 'mess' or what you mean by 'badly put togeather'.
I mean it was flabby, lazy, and not well written.

Compare it with the data loss episode, which was much better, structurally. It had flow, more concision, and, structurally, more purpose.
As for the "narrative arc", in what sense are you able to assess it given that, by your own admission, you've only watched two episodes out of three seasons?
I'm talking about that episode. Narrative arc is a more detailed way of seeing the "beginning, middle and end". All stories, no matter what the style or subject, need to build a story, using various devices (such as tension, suspense) through a narrative arc. This arc is usually described as having seven points, but that isn't important here. What is important is that in this episode, Iannucci seemed to rely on the actors, and especially on the character of Malcolm, in lieu of any clearly defined narrative.

If you'd just said "it's not my cup of tea" then I'd have thought fair enough, but I don't see any validity in your more substantive criticisms which seem to me to be either to so vague as to be meaningless or criticising the show for what it's not supposed to be.
Well, it's just that it ought to be my cup of tea, and I like (some of) the writer's previous work.

I don't think my criticisms are vague. But I do concede that they are of only two episodes. (And the film, which I thought was OK, but promising. Which is why I thought I'd check out the show, to see if the problem was that 90 mins was too long for the concept. I suspect it's just that the idea has run out of steam somewhat, and that if I watched series one I'd see more life and purpose).

I seem to remember the second series of I'm Alan Partridge getting some flak as well, but I think in hindisght everyone agrees it was just as good as series 1.

this series seems to have started a bit slowly. the third episode was a bit better though.

also, langham was much better than front, even if he is a paedo.

this series seems to have started a bit slowly. the third episode was a bit better though.

also, langham was much better than front, even if he is a paedo.

Yeah, he was brilliant, bloody annoying, maybe the fact that he was looser enough in real life to enjoy the power trip of having a 13 year old fall in love with him gave him that brilliant drawn horse face.

Yeah, he was brilliant, bloody annoying, maybe the fact that he was looser enough in real life to enjoy the power trip of having a 13 year old fall in love with him gave him that brilliant drawn horse face.

The line in series 1 about the PM's wife thinking he's '....a registered nonce' is delicious in hindsight.

Back
Top Bottom