Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Thick of it??

There were some nice touches, and that was one of them. But flabbily plotted, and left to the cast to carry.

Oh god, you still banging on about the "plot" - you do know its a comedy right Danny and not a fucking episode of Inspector Morse? It's meant to make you laff, not stroke your goatee. Laughter is an instantaneous reaction to something funny whereas judgements about plots (incidently I still don't have a clue what you mean by "flabbily plotted", which you say as if it were self evident) can only fully be made retrospectively. As such it's unclear in what way (unsubstantiated) allegations of flabby plots can really be used to impugn the shows comedic value. Would you care to elucidate on this point Mr La Rouge given that it's so central to your critique? Maybe also you could explain why the show being "left to the cast to carry" is a bad thing in a self consciously character based sit com?

Oh god, you still banging on about the "plot" - you do know its a comedy right Danny and not a fucking episode of Inspector Morse? It's meant to make you laff, not stroke your goatee. Laughter is an instantaneous reaction to something funny whereas judgements about plots (incidently I still don't have a clue what you mean by "flabbily plotted", which you say as if it were self evident) can only fully be made retrospectively. As such it's unclear in what way (unsubstantiated) allegations of flabby plots can really be used to impugn the shows comedic value. Would you care to elucidate on this point Mr La Rouge given that it's so central to your critique? Maybe also you could explain why the show being "left to the cast to carry" is a bad thing in a self consciously character based sit com?
You seem a bit annoyed. It's only an opinion. Without going through the episode point by point, I just think the laughs were sparse. In fact, I don't think I actually did laugh last night. It seemed to me a scrappily-made episode. When I talk of plot, I don't mean at all in the same way as a detective show, I just mean logical flow and coherence of writing. It's not a hard point to understand. It is a show shot in a faux verite style. It needs to follow those conventions to make sense, to flow. Otherwise we may as well just have a sketch show, or a succession of inventive swears. It sets itself up that way, so that is how I judge it.

On the evidence of this series, it is a very hit or miss affair.

episode 3 doesnt seem to be getting the respec' it deserves. I reckon it was :D as ep 4. Gonna dip into number 5 on iplayer over the week...

You seem a bit annoyed. It's only an opinion. Without going through the episode point by point, I just think the laughs were sparse. In fact, I don't think I actually did laugh last night. It seemed to me a scrappily-made episode. When I talk of plot, I don't mean at all in the same way as a detective show, I just mean logical flow and coherence of writing. It's not a hard point to understand. It is a show shot in a faux verite style. It needs to follow those conventions to make sense, to flow. Otherwise we may as well just have a sketch show, or a succession of inventive swears. It sets itself up that way, so that is how I judge it.

Again, the second part of your paragraph is just a series of vague and generally meaningless assertions. If you put some meat on them with some concrete examples to illustrate what you mean then I might take your arguments seriously.

The first part of paragaph seems to me to be the real crux of your dislike of the show - you just don't find the gags funny. Well fine, you didn't need to go all Mark "massive hands" Kermode on our arses to say that. :p

Not annoyed by the way - just pissing about. If there was a pissing about emoticon I'd have used it.

It was effectively a 3-hander farce with decent slapstick; Tory, NL and BBC. Even if they didn't fall down, we got the trousers jokes.

I assumed the ending was supposed to be the dark compliment to the light (the exchange between chief spinners), whether it quite got there is a subjective matter.

That's how I saw it, anyway. But I like a modern farce - especially with that quality of one-liner.

episode 3 doesnt seem to be getting the respec' it deserves. I reckon it was :D as ep 4. Gonna dip into number 5 on iplayer over the week...
They all really deserve a re-viewing on iPlayer. I've been doing that over the past week.

I was a bit sceptical about this series at the beginning because of the lack of Langham, but I think it's really coming good.

"They're dark trousers and it's lukewarm, I STILL WIN" :D

Loved it - absolutely laughed myself sore.

Malcolm's birthday cake :cool:

Not annoyed by the way - just pissing about. If there was a pissing about emoticon I'd have used it.
OK, fair enough.

Again, the second part of your paragraph is just a series of vague and generally meaningless assertions. If you put some meat on them with some concrete examples to illustrate what you mean then I might take your arguments seriously.
OK, first in general, let's try to achieve some common ground: I think that last week's episode was the best so far. Do you agree that last week's was superior to this week's, or do you think they were of equal merit?

If you can see a difference, then we'll know we're talking about the same thing. If you can't, then we're probably still not going to understand each other.

The difference I can see is a tightness of writing in last week's that wasn't there in this week's. That isn't about one particular thing, it's an overall presentation thing. The interweaving of the threads in the last weeks were better handled.

We have a developing story: first the minister's daughter has been placed in a state school, for political advantage. Do the opposition use that? How do they use that? We see the opposition team, and get to contrast them at work with the government team. (The impression we get is that the opposition chief spin doctor is far less effectual than Tucker, whereas the shadow minister is far more effectual - and, comparatively, has more integrity - than the minister). This develops into a story about the minister's daughter involved in bullying: who knows, how will they handle it, how does she handle it. (She handles it, as with everything, very badly, and the impression is created that she blames herself - probably rightly - though not enough to actually make any changes. If she knew how).

This is interwoven with her ridiculous and meaningless "policy" idea about pathfinders. The only concrete thing we know about this is that she considers the headteacher to be one.

All of this leads to dramatic tension, which is used to good dramatic and comedic effect. These are good ideas, and they are well used.

Contrast with last night's episode: the ideas are more sparse, and they are not so well handled, in the writing. The minister and shadow minister are on a late night talk show. The two teams are creating havoc in the studio. They have personal agendas and their bosses are badly briefed. Meanwhile two junior advisers aren't there, and their across-the-trenches relationship is on the rocks. Into this mix, a caller breaks a story about donations.

These are good ideas, but the execution is far less adept than last week. The moment the big news story breaks is not made the most of in the structure. It should be a dramatic climax, but it isn't used to as good effect as it could be, dramatically and comedically. It's a missed opportunity. Similarly, the fact that others know Olly is to be dumped before he does is a good tool to draw out comedic and dramatic tension, but in the end it is squandered. The way it is handled is like the way a poor Hitchcock copyist handles suspense: the elements are there, but the effect is spoiled because of the hamfisted way the scripting is handled. The actor playing Ollie is left to pull faces and emote, which he does very well; he's a skillful actor. But with better developed material, it could have been much better. As it was it was obvious, it was telegraphed (which can be used well, incidentally, like suspense, but wasn't), and we get a weak smile where we could have had a laugh.

The first part of paragaph seems to me to be the real crux of your dislike of the show - you just don't find the gags funny. Well fine, you didn't need to go all Mark "massive hands" Kermode on our arses to say that. :p
Well, that's the thing: the gags were funny last week, but this week because of the weakness of the writing, they went off like damp squibs. It isn't that I don't like the type of humour. The reason that I bothered to watch so many shows, and to comment on the thread so often, is that I do like the type of humour, and would like to see it better done than it is here.

(By comparison, I watched ten minutes of Miranda, will never do so again, and felt obliged only to blurt a perfunctory "it's shite" on the dedicated thread).

This is, of course, my opinion. Maybe other people were wetting themselves.

I won't blame anoyone who doesn't read all that ^, but I was asked to expand! :D

I thought the 'dramatic climax' such as it was, was the showdown and mutual admission that neither of the spin doctors gave a monkeys about their respective charges.

More of a dramatic anti-climax really, and intentionally so.

It's mostly a comedy of character and script, of witty bitchiness and zeitgeist as well as straighforward slapstick.

I also liked the brilliantly unhinged texted-in comments. "You don't see robots wearing strips of human flesh..."

If I can paraphrase Jeff Robinson; if you want to be Charlie Big Bollocks with your judgements expect to be asked to offer insights. Thus we get this:

These are good ideas, but the execution is far less adept than last week. The moment the big news story breaks is not made the most of in the structure. It should be a dramatic climax, but it isn't used to as good effect as it could be, dramatically and comedically. It's a missed opportunity. Similarly, the fact that others know Olly is to be dumped before he does is a good tool to draw out comedic and dramatic tension, but in the end it is squandered. The way it is handled is like the way a poor Hitchcock copyist handles suspense: the elements are there, but the effect is spoiled because of the hamfisted way the scripting is handled. The actor playing Ollie is left to pull faces and emote, which he does very well; he's a skillful actor. But with better developed material, it could have been much better. As it was it was obvious, it was telegraphed (which can be used well, incidentally, like suspense, but wasn't), and we get a weak smile where we could have had a laugh.
"Not made the most of" How so - one won, one lost, it turned out based on a bogus argument neither side had researched and, in any event, on a matter of point-scoring not the policy itself e.g. who had donated how much to which party is the usual playground nonsense we're asked to accept as political discourse - here it was lampooned successfully, so not "a missed opportuinty" but rather something you missed.

Agree, the foreshadowing of Ollie's position was reasonably engineered, I'm not sure what was lost as he and the older guy had a memorable exchange.

btw, without having seen ep 5, are we reckoning that the concentration on conservatives is looking to mirror the cast-iron guaranteed cameron victory in '10? Seems ominous...

Most def not cast-iron imo, but the liasing between the parties as the election draws near is an interesting opportunity they're making quite a lot of. We're seeing rather a lot of the internal architecture of TVC as well.

Most def not cast-iron imo, but the liasing between the parties as the election draws near is an interesting opportunity they're making quite a lot of. We're seeing rather a lot of the internal architecture of TVC as well.

a long Clay Davis "sheee-iitt, pardner" at your assertion that a cameron victory is not guaranteed. Do you know how to spell "opinion poll"? Those scummers are in there like swim-wear (sorry :oops:)

"TVC"?

Back
Top Bottom