Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Oscars

Yeah. They will have had scientific consultants. A lot of films do. It is satisfying when a sci-fi film takes the science seriously. Interstellar, for instance, gets its relativity more or less right due to the involvement of physicist Kip Thorne.
Interstellar is too sciencey and no fun at all

So many wrong opinions on Everything Everywhere All At Once. Have never identified with these characters and ideas so much before. Even more relatable than Peanuts/Charlie Brown
Think there's a wee bit of snobbery about sci-fi from one or two. There's so much going on in the film. Family, duality, identity, nihilism, expectations, pastiche, martial arts, and nods to The Matrix, 2001, Michael Gondry, Wong Kar Wei, Spike Jonze, etc.

It's one of the oddest, most heart warming and unusual films to hit the awards. As much as loved some of the other films, this deserves its day.

We won't see the likes of it again.

Yeah. They will have had scientific consultants. A lot of films do. It is satisfying when a sci-fi film takes the science seriously. Interstellar, for instance, gets its relativity more or less right due to the involvement of physicist Kip Thorne.

I’m not too sure how they choose scientific consultants. I saw the most awful piece of dross called ‘Don’t Look Up’ and I think they could have done a lot of good by plying a physics undergrad with a pizza and asking a few basic questions.

I’m not too sure how they choose scientific consultants. I saw the most awful piece of dross called ‘Don’t Look Up’ and I think they could have done a lot of good by plying a physics undergrad with a pizza and asking a few basic questions.
Like, should films be realistic documentaries or escapism or a bit of both?

Kind of liked it, iirc, but Nolan films can be a bit cold, while also brilliant to look at. Having said that, did Interstellar not have "love" play a big part in the ending? Or am imagining...
No, you're not imagining. But the relativity bit - she meets her young dad when she is old - was right. :D

I don't mind fanciful ideas tbf, as long as they're internally coherent. EEAAO kind of gave up on trying to be coherent. That's ok, but it means it's a bit of a mess, and the action is boring, well it bored me.

No, you're not imagining. But the relativity bit - she meets her young dad when she is old - was right. :D

I don't mind fanciful ideas tbf, as long as they're internally coherent. EEAAA kind of gave up on trying to be coherent. That's ok, but it means it's a bit of a mess, and the action is boring.
It's the least boring film. And in the multiverse, coherence may not always be in existence. That's one of the fun things about it. Science is turned on its head, shaken about and kicked off into another dimension.

Kind of liked it, iirc, but Nolan films can be a bit cold, while also brilliant to look at. Having said that, did Interstellar not have "love" play a big part in the ending? Or am imagining...
I find him intolerably impenetrable and literally incoherent

I have probably a minority opinion on a few Nolan films. I loved Inception as well. It was like repeatedly coming out of a k-hole.

Tenet was dreadful, though. Really boring action sequences.

I have probably a minority opinion on a few Nolan films. I loved Inception as well. It was like repeatedly coming out of a k-hole.

Tenet was dreadful, though. Really boring action sequences.
At least you could see it. It’s the dialogue that troubled me the most - impossible to make out most of it

Lots of people criticising EEAAO for being a bit of a mess, or for too much happening in it. I really enjoyed one of the director's explanations of how it came to be this way, a maximalist film in an industry that often reveres minimalism, by referencing the Japanese artist Ikeda Manabu, who values density and intricacy of texture and detail. Particularly the following tweets:

Full thread here.

Back
Top Bottom