Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Muso Equipment Nerdery Thread 🎸

I got new strings for my SG and now the D string is buzzing when played open, I dunno what I've done or how to sort it. Got 11-48s rather than 10-46 as previous. Any ideas? Have tried adjusting the bridge but I think the problem is the nut end
Did you have all the strings off at once? The obvious thing is that you knocked the bridge wheels when you cleaned the guitar after taking the strings off. (If you didn’t clean the guitar you’re a manky fucker).

Another possibility is you put the bridge back on back to front. Or even just the D saddle.

And yes, I have done all these things at one time or another.

Did you have all the strings off at once? The obvious thing is that you knocked the bridge wheels when you cleaned the guitar after taking the strings off. (If you didn’t clean the guitar you’re a manky fucker).

Another possibility is you put the bridge back on back to front. Or even just the D saddle.

And yes, I have done all these things at one time or another.
I did clean it, that's basically why I changed the strings. I had the bridge off, too - do I need to raise the whole thing?

I did clean it, that's basically why I changed the strings. I had the bridge off, too - do I need to raise the whole thing?
It depends which thing you did. You’ll know if you put it back in back to front if the notches for the treble strings look too thick. That means they’re the ones that the bass strings should be resting on. If that’s the case, switch it back round.

Otherwise maybe you knocked the wheels and need to raise them.

But first look at the bridge saddles and see if the notches look wrong for the strings.

I got new strings for my SG and now the D string is buzzing when played open, I dunno what I've done or how to sort it. Got 11-48s rather than 10-46 as previous. Any ideas? Have tried adjusting the bridge but I think the problem is the nut end
It's probably the bridge still. A change in string tension and might need a neck adjustment. I generally have to fully set up my SG once a year (twice to be sure). I recently did it actually. My SG is always the hardest despite not having a bolt on.

I've been known to chuck a bit of cardboard (usually a bit of Rizla packet) under the string where it crosses the nut - my Overwater had a bit of a buzz problem because the E string was vibrating against the first fret, and that fixed it. Now it's had a service and a proper setup, the cardboard is no longer necessary.

I've been known to chuck a bit of cardboard (usually a bit of Rizla packet) under the string where it crosses the nut - my Overwater had a bit of a buzz problem because the E string was vibrating against the first fret, and that fixed it. Now it's had a service and a proper setup, the cardboard is no longer necessary.
It's strange. I wouldn't dream of arsing around with my acoustic instruments in that way, but it doesn't feel quite so sacrilegeous (to me) to do it to electric ones. :hmm:

It's strange. I wouldn't dream of arsing around with my acoustic instruments in that way, but it doesn't feel quite so sacrilegeous (to me) to do it to electric ones. :hmm:
An Overwater bass is a high end example of crafted luthiership. It deserves respect and care. You philistine!

An Overwater bass is a high end example of crafted luthiership. It deserves respect and care. You philistine!
TBF, I have remedied the crime, now. And I've put flatwounds on it.

I'm gratified to encounter someone who knows what an Overwater is, though. Most people go "OverWHUT"?

1691488799021.jpeg
(the keen-eyed will note that the top two strings are not sat correctly on their rollers. This is now fixed)

I've only played one once (I used to play bass in a band) but I got to play the lead guitarists one on a song I wrote. The action and thick crunchy tone was a joy to experience.
My advice is play loads. Go into guitar shops and try different individual models out. They do differ instrument to instrument. And frankly sometimes a Les Paul Standard can play better. Custom Shop should be better, but that isn’t always the case.

I pulled an old Casio mt-45 out the other day, intending to sell it on Facebook marketplace. Naturally, I thought I better have a wee shot first to check everything is in working order. I then decided I better keep it as I could surely use it on a song or two. I can't even play the keyboard :facepalm:

I was curious about roswell. They seem very competitively priced.
Those things look very odd. What are they and what is their makeup/output?

I was curious about roswell. They seem very competitively priced.
Those things look very odd. What are they and what is their makeup/output?
I’ll have to ask my mate. They do look odd but really beef up the output. I had to do some serious messing with my amp settings to adjust from the original 3 weedy single coils

I’ll have to ask my mate. They do look odd but really beef up the output. I had to do some serious messing with my amp settings to adjust from the original 3 weedy single coils
Do you know what the output was from the old ones and the new ones? Do you have a multi meter?

It's only something I recently became interested in. The only thing that 'really' changes the guitar tone is the pickups (which then may need new pots if the output and tone has changed dramatically). Apart from that it's just how well the guitar plays and feels. All the other 'wood tone' is bollocks. The way a guitar plays does seem to influence how I perceive the sound though.

A higher output doesn't necessarily mean good. You may want a weedy output for a certain sound. Then of course the number of windings changes the tone, so you may want ceramic pickups, which changes the tone also. . . then pots. Mostly just a fun rabbit hole I went down this year. I have enough guitars to do a bit of experimenting on. I am buying and swapping a couple of pickups on a couple of guitars. I'm putting a ceramic slightly overwound P90 into one of my danelecto longhorns, which may end up being a mistake, but it may end up being magical.

Back
Top Bottom