Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Muso Equipment Nerdery Thread 🎸

Do you know what the output was from the old ones and the new ones? Do you have a multi meter?

It's only something I recently became interested in. The only thing that 'really' changes the guitar tone is the pickups (which then may need new pots if the output and tone has changed dramatically). Apart from that it's just how well the guitar plays and feels. All the other 'wood tone' is bollocks. The way a guitar plays does seem to influence how I perceive the sound though.

A higher output doesn't necessarily mean good. You may want a weedy output for a certain sound. Then of course the number of windings changes the tone, so you may want ceramic pickups, which changes the tone also. . . then pots. Mostly just a fun rabbit hole I went down this year. I have enough guitars to do a bit of experimenting on. I am buying and swapping a couple of pickups on a couple of guitars. I'm putting a ceramic slightly overwound P90 into one of my danelecto longhorns, which may end up being a mistake, but it may end up being magical.
Again, I left the technical details to my mate. The original pickups were standard early 80s Japanese Strat single coils but I found them too thin for my band set up (gtr,bass,drums). My default guitar is an Epiphone Sheraton fitted with 2 Di Marzios that give it a thick full sound for blues, rock and psych but also weedy when required. I just fancied making the strat louder and thicker since it never gets used apart from for recording.
I know my mate changed the pickups, pots and bridge so did a thorough job on it. I’ll have a word if you’re interested in the tech details which are pretty much all Greek to me but he is an engineer so that’s his normal patter 🙂

I’d consider doing something similar to my Danelectro DC59

I’d consider doing something similar to my Danelectro DC59
The Danelectro lipstick pickups are arguably what makes them Danelectros. They are very weak but apparently that's what gets them the surf sound. I think the output may be as low as 2.5 as opposed to the usual 8 - 10
The only reason I am changing mine is because I have two longhorns and I wanted to SG one of them up (only the neck) . Normally you would have to change the pots, but as I recall the lipsticks are quite dull so already have pots that would normally be suited to higher output pick ups.
Yawn, I'm even boring myself.

I am thinking of buying a squire telecaster until I can afford a LP custom which might be overkill for home playing anyway cost wise.

Not sure whether to buy a bullet version or a more expensive infinity one. Most reviews say there's not much difference between the two.

Anybody own or played either?

I am thinking of buying a squire telecaster until I can afford a LP custom which might be overkill for home playing anyway cost wise.

Not sure whether to buy a bullet version or a more expensive infinity one. Most reviews say there's not much difference between the two.

Anybody own or played either?
Bullet is lighter, I think it has a slightly thinner neck too. Good things in my opinion. It has standard squire pickups which are generally OK, but the affinity has ceramic pickups which will be more beefy, which I would prefer for sure.
I like thin necks, light guitars and high gain ceramic pickups so I probably wouldn't choose any of the above guitars.
If you are into teles (which I am not) then the bullet will probably have a more classic thin weak tele sound.

Actually (althoigh it might not be the right thread), can someone, anyone help me expand this Playlist? I've only got 30 mins onjit so far.

1000021856.jpg

I currently have it set up to split onto three amps. One for guitar, one for bass and one for synth.
It's deceptively more complicated than it seems because when a pedal isn't on it still let's the unaffected signal though.

I go into a tuner. The bypass goes to a octave pedal which (by electric science magic) detects a single bass root note. This goes into a fuzz war and then a bass amp.
The regular output of the tuner (on/off) goes to the synth pedal. The synth send fx output (a clean un synthed signal) goes to a guitar amp. The regular synth output goes to a third amp. A dummy plug in the synth return makes the synth output cut out when deactivated instead of continuing to send the clean guitar signal (I was super stoked to discover this).
By stepping on the tuner I can deactivate the synth and guitar but only both at once.

1000027535.jpg

All I need now is a kill switch in front of guitar amp so that I can just have bass and synth if need be.

Last edited:
Ha that makes my head hurt.
:D

I'm trying to play some slightly dgenty choppy rhythem stuff lately. 8 string Cort electric guitar into a software plugin incorporating noisegate distortion, amp sim and cab simulation.

Plugin is Mercurial Spark. Sounds great IMO.

Does anyone have one of those power banks that power all your pedals? I was inspecting the guitarists' pedal boards at a gig the other night and it made me think 'I could really use one of those...'

Does anyone have one of those power banks that power all your pedals? I was inspecting the guitarists' pedal boards at a gig the other night and it made me think 'I could really use one of those...'
I have one. It's built into my pedal, so I can't remember the brand, but it was supposed to be a decent one.

The (external) PSU failed, probably within warranty, which I wasn't impressed by, but I bodged in an alternative. I hope your experience is better...

The rest of it works flawlessly.

I don't like having to plug into the mains. Pedalboards don't traditionally sit near sockets so I use, and highly recommend this.

1000028334.jpg
It's about the size of a phone. I currently power six pedals with it, three of which are extremely high drain, but it still lasts for hours. When I used it for regular pedals I didn't charge it for half a years worth of gigs and rehearsals.
1000028335.jpg
Even if it does run out you can run it off the mains on a standard phone charger (not new enough for usbc unfortunately).
1000028336.jpg
Mine is velcroed to the underside of my board.

The best thing about it is not having to fanny about with power cables or leads. Just whip the whole pedalboard out of my bag, switch it on and go.

It was also very cheap as I recall.

I bought a Boss SY1 synth pedal yesterday. Someone local was selling it cheap and I had my eye on one for a one man project I will probably never get off the ground.
An afternoon of silly fun, followed by me questioning myself and feeling quite depressed.

I nearly bought an SY1 recently for the purposes of silly fun with new sounds. I was also considering a boss (or cheaper zoom!) multi-fx.

However I ended up getting an Empress Zoia, and fuck me what a treasure it is! It really does just about anything. The effects are huge and gorgeous and can be chained almost endlessly (I haven't hit the memory ceiling yet but I've read that multiple reverbs will do it!) But it also has a modular synth function plus a built-in sequencer that can be connected via midi.

I've hardly scratched the surface yet of what it can do, and the interface is awkward and tiny so I may never plumb its true depths myself, but there's a small, nerdy online community who create huge patches, which can be loaded in via SD card. For example I found one that does a quite convincing job of making a guitar sound like a saxophone :D

Anyway there's really nothing else like it out there, so worth signposting in this thread.

I nearly bought an SY1 recently for the purposes of silly fun with new sounds. I was also considering a boss (or cheaper zoom!) multi-fx.

However I ended up getting an Empress Zoia, and fuck me what a treasure it is! It really does just about anything. The effects are huge and gorgeous and can be chained almost endlessly (I haven't hit the memory ceiling yet but I've read that multiple reverbs will do it!) But it also has a modular synth function plus a built-in sequencer that can be connected via midi.

I've hardly scratched the surface yet of what it can do, and the interface is awkward and tiny so I may never plumb its true depths myself, but there's a small, nerdy online community who create huge patches, which can be loaded in via SD card. For example I found one that does a quite convincing job of making a guitar sound like a saxophone :D

Anyway there's really nothing else like it out there, so worth signposting in this thread.

Looks interesting, but definitely not what I was looking for in a synth pedal. . . equally, the sy1 isn't really the right thing for endlessly messing about with for silly fun.

I'm not going to get one, but I am interested in checking out some videos of it with a guitar input triggering it.

I won a mooer macro power on eBay last night. I got it pretty cheap, looking at the previous second hand ones that sold.

Back
Top Bottom