Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely science post thread

I was rather surprised to come across an article recently that claimed that even though mankind has had the required know-how to design and build heavier than air flying machines for more than a century, we still don’t know how planes stay in the air. Apparently we have two theories about it, and they both contradict each other in certain aspects whilst being right in others

😳

National Geographic, the iconic yellow framed magazine that has chronicled the natural world for more than 100 years, laid off its last remaining staff writers this week, multiple departing staffers said.

It was unclear how many staffers were cut during the latest round of layoffs at the magazine, but the move comes as parent company Walt Disney Co. has slashed thousands of staffers across its divisions this year.

Calling 2hats or any other science boffins. Ignoring for a moment the monumental technological challenges, if we managed one day to build a spacecraft or probe that used nuclear explosions as a way to boost its speed, has anyone worked out the likely rate of acceleration/ speed achieved after each detonation?

Say a probe equipped with five 150 kt warheads for the sake of the argument. Once it’s on its way by standard means doing 40,000 kph, it deploys a shield and detonates a nuke behind it to be pushed to a greater speed by the shockwave. Then again and again, until it’s used all five warheads. Any rough guesses as to the final speed achieved?

Ah, I knew I had once read something about such concept somewhere (much as I'd have liked to come up with the idea all by myself)...

You are (essentially) describing the nuclear pulse propulsion starship of Project Orion.
Could perhaps achieve 10% of the speed of light (0.1c) in some design configurations (1g acceleration over some 10 days, detonating 3e5 devices).
300,000 nuclear bombs? Christ, I'd heard of the concept many times before but I hadn't realised it was that outlandish. And double that if you want to slow down once you get where you're going, presumably.

Indian Ocean gravity hole was caused by extinct ancient sea, scientists say
space.com 18/07/2023
Scientists may have finally identified the origins of a deep "gravity hole" in the Indian Ocean — a mysterious region where Earth's gravitational pull is weaker than at other parts of our planet.

The Indian Ocean geoid low (IOGL) is a 1.2 million-square-mile (3 million square kilometers) depression found 746 miles (1,200 kilometers) southwest of India. Compared with its surroundings, the low's gravity is so weak that a layer of its water has been snatched away — making the sea level over the hole 348 feet (106 meters) lower than the global average.

I’ve been recently wondering about the speed of evolutionary changes in species, in particular when something is not critical to their survival. Given how relatively long (at least from the point of view of our individual concept of time) it seems to take for any significant evolutionary changes to take place in most species, how long is it going to bloody take for humans to, say, lose their appendix or their toenails, neither of which have served any useful purpose to our species for countless millennia, and only cause us pain, discomfort, and sometimes serious illness and death?

Not that any of us will be around to see it, but I’d like to think humans will be born without an appendix before long. Can’t imagine any practical use for toenails either, though at least they are far less likely to cause anyone death through bacterial infection.

I’ve been recently wondering about the speed of evolutionary changes in species, in particular when something is not critical to their survival. Given how relatively long (at least from the point of view of our individual concept of time) it seems to take for any significant evolutionary changes to take place in most species, how long is it going to bloody take for humans to, say, lose their appendix or their toenails, neither of which have served any useful purpose to our species for countless millennia, and only cause us pain, discomfort, and sometimes serious illness and death?

Not that any of us will be around to see it, but I’d like to think humans will be born without an appendix before long. Can’t imagine any practical use for toenails either, though at least they are far less likely to cause anyone death through bacterial infection.

Being born without wisdom teeth is becoming more common though.

Last edited:
It doesn't just have to be useless, there has to be a solid advantage to breeding and reproduction without it. Toenails just aren't energy intensive enough, nor dangerous enough to go away via evolution unless the gene to lose them becomes dominant. Even that alone wouldn't eliminate them, but it could make them rare enough that people with toenails are seen as freaks and have a disadvantage in reproduction.

Interesting article. I've still got my appendix along with my tonsils and never get ill.

Would be interesting if there's studies on illness rates between people with and without such organs.

when i were a lad it was almost a fashion to get your tonsils removed. i never did and i can't say i've suffered for it.

Back
Top Bottom