Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely science post thread

This fucked with my head, and still does really. I still don't really understand why the answer isn't the one I originally thought it was although later it does give a good explanation why it isn't, and why there aren't actually (sort of) 365 days in a year.

The Guardian reports scientists might be about to achieve a game-changer in our technological capabilities to search for signs of intelligent life. Technosignatures they call it, and we’re basically are going to be able to scan for little green men’s version of Eastenders and BBC Radio 4 beaming through the galaxy

What we need is for everyone to turn over their spare computing capacity to searching for extra-terrestrial signals ... .:)

Lonely game theory/maths post.

The popular phrase "zero sum game" comes from the mathematical discipline of game theory (I think economists use it as well). Unfortunately its meaning is usually used incorrectly.

The idea is used to talk about situations where there are two sides in a conflict or a dispute and each side can only gain at the other's expense so there is no room for cooperation.

However the mathematical term means that the sum of both sides winnings/losses is zero. So after a round one side might win a point and so the other side must lose a point. The zero sum concept is irrelevant to the question of whether there is room for cooperation. You could have a positive sum game where the only possible outcomes are one or the other side win one point and the other side win two points.

As for the idea that there can be no cooperation in a game (zero sum, positive sum or negative sum) - that's debatable. If both sides optimise their strategies (maximising your possible minimums) then you get a "saddle point" where there is an effective agreement on how to proceed with the game. One side may win and other lose, it may be a stalemate, both may win together and both may lose together. Non of this really makes any difference to the idea that the two sides should or should not collaborate with each other.

If everybody is losing or not moving forward, then maybe it's time to stop playing games and help each other out. "It's not a zero sum game", they say. Well maybe it is a zero sum game and that's the reason you should stop gaming each other.

Sorry that's been bugging me for ages.

Maybe they could build glass domes over these cave entrances?

a cave entrance on the surface of the Moon

Lonely game theory/maths post.

The popular phrase "zero sum game" comes from the mathematical discipline of game theory (I think economists use it as well). Unfortunately its meaning is usually used incorrectly.

The idea is used to talk about situations where there are two sides in a conflict or a dispute and each side can only gain at the other's expense so there is no room for cooperation.

However the mathematical term means that the sum of both sides winnings/losses is zero. So after a round one side might win a point and so the other side must lose a point. The zero sum concept is irrelevant to the question of whether there is room for cooperation. You could have a positive sum game where the only possible outcomes are one or the other side win one point and the other side win two points.

As for the idea that there can be no cooperation in a game (zero sum, positive sum or negative sum) - that's debatable. If both sides optimise their strategies (maximising your possible minimums) then you get a "saddle point" where there is an effective agreement on how to proceed with the game. One side may win and other lose, it may be a stalemate, both may win together and both may lose together. Non of this really makes any difference to the idea that the two sides should or should not collaborate with each other.

If everybody is losing or not moving forward, then maybe it's time to stop playing games and help each other out. "It's not a zero sum game", they say. Well maybe it is a zero sum game and that's the reason you should stop gaming each other.

Sorry that's been bugging me for ages.

What we need is for everyone to turn over their spare computing capacity to searching for extra-terrestrial signals ... .:)
Yes, this was a bit of a thing with SETI data in the 90s. Someone pointed out that there are probably more immediate tasks that you could use that computing power for such as processing various data looking to fight disease.

Your microwave has its own microbiome made of both harmless and dangerous bacteria likely including extremophiles some that may be useful.

Laboratory microwave ovens contained the greatest genetic diversity of bacteria. The researchers found both kitchen-counter bacteria and extremophiles that can withstand the radiation, high temperatures and extreme dryness in these appliances.

“You don’t need to go to very exotic — geographically speaking — places to find diversity of microorganisms,” says co-author Manuel Porcar, a microbiologist also at the University of Valencia in Spain.

The team suggests that the extremophile strains they found in the microwave ovens might have been ‘selected’ evolutionarily by surviving repeated rounds of radiation, and could have biotechnological applications, such as in the bioremediation of toxic waste. Porcar says that the next step is to investigate how microwave usage might affect these bacteria over time.

From Nature

This is quite astonishing…

If you were one of the two astronauts stuck in the ISS, would you take the ride back to Earth aboard the Starliner in the coming weeks if the entire NASA and Boeing teams assured you everything had been fixed beyond any doubt, or after Xmas on the SpaceX spacecraft? Much as I would miss my family and likely suffered muscular atrophy as a result of the extended period in microgravity, I think I’d politely refuse the early lift back home.

Is there a name for the optical illusion whereby when you are watching a rapidly spinning object, such as the allow wheel of a fast moving car on the lane next to you, or the spinning propellers of an airplane as it increases its RPM, you see a kind of light pattern turning clockwise over the fast spinning object which sometimes seems to decelerate, stop, and start turning in the opposite direction?

It’s not just me seeing it, right? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom