Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely science post thread

Not that I’m concerned in the least because at the end of the day I’m far more likely to win a big lottery jackpot than see it happen within my lifetime. But it’s still remarkable how to this day we continue to occasionally discover massive celestial objects previously unknown to us that are about to do a flyby with very little notice. Extra points for fact that this one was discovered by an amateur civilian.

The above article doesn’t mention the estimated size, but in another article I read it was suggested it was likely a few hundred metres across, and perhaps even more than 1 km.

Whereas very unlikely statistically speaking, basically there’s no guarantee at all that one day we might be told ‘People of Earth: we’ve just detected a massive 2-mile comet we didn’t know about at all heading right for us and due to hit us in three weeks, and we don’t have a chance of launching a missile countermeasure response in such little time, so that’s all, folks.’

Not that I’m concerned in the least because at the end of the day I’m far more likely to win a big lottery jackpot than see it happen within my lifetime. But it’s still remarkable how to this day we continue to occasionally discover massive celestial objects previously unknown to us that are about to do a flyby with very little notice. Extra points for fact that this one was discovered by an amateur civilian.

The above article doesn’t mention the estimated size, but in another article I read it was suggested it was likely a few hundred metres across, and perhaps even more than 1 km.

Whereas very unlikely statistically speaking, basically there’s no guarantee at all that one day we might be told ‘People of Earth: we’ve just detected a massive 2-mile comet we didn’t know about at all heading right for us and due to hit us in three weeks, and we don’t have a chance of launching a missile countermeasure response in such little time, so that’s all, folks.’

They just wouldn’t tell us.

It would be a really weird way to end the story of the strange talking monkeys.

Would be interesting to estimate the carnage. Tunguska was estimated at only 200m, but that was a solid iron meteor not an icy comet. I imagine it would suck to be under it/near it, but it's not world-ending.

In this image taken from Cibolo, Texas on December 8, 2022, Mars resembles a shy child during an occultation and won the Our Moon category of the competition.
72369c215ddf35f5fb7ba846c259edd0.jpg

Given how much neurological science has advanced over the past few decades, including people being able to control bionic limbs with their thoughts, are we ever likely to develop a foolproof and non-painful/ damaging technology to show whether someone is lying? The effect it would have on criminal justice, politics and society in general across the world cannot be overstated.

Given how much neurological science has advanced over the past few decades, including people being able to control bionic limbs with their thoughts, are we ever likely to develop a foolproof and non-painful/ damaging technology to show whether someone is lying? The effect it would have on criminal justice, politics and society in general across the world cannot be overstated.
That would be awful - everyone lies all the time as its a necessary evil to get through life.

CAN WE SEE THE LOST TOOLBAG FROM EARTH?

Yes! For a tool bag, it’s pretty reflective. You can make it out on a clear night with just a pair of good binoculars.
The work bags aren't that bright (typically around mag +6). You'd need a very dark sky (sitting on top of a mountain surrounded by desert or ocean, for example, would be ideal), know exactly where & when to look (it is currently ~1200km ahead of the ISS; drag is rapidly opening up this gap) and time that for a pass through the zenith (to avoid atmospheric extinction greatly reducing your chances) whilst not in eclipse. There's now sufficient separation from the ISS that you'd have to plan the observation quite carefully to have any chance of spotting it.

Also not entirely correct.

The Earth has had numerous additional natural satellites over the years. Several co-orbit with the Earth around the Sun and various are captured and then escape for varying periods of time. But then, even The Moon isn't in a permanent, stable orbit and will quite possibly end up fragmented into a (briefly existing) ring system.

Solar max[imum]. Happens every ~11 years. This one just happens to be somewhat more active than the previous. A Carrington class event would be interesting. On the upside, should screen out all the vacuous drivel on social media.

Talking of which, three Coronal Mass Ejections are inbound, arriving in the coming hours. They could spark some decent auroral storms, or perhaps even combine to form a Cannibal CME, putting on a show to lower latitudes.
WSA-Enlil heliosphere modelling of significant solar wind structures. The green dot represents the Earth.

Have we had this? Which I thought was interesting and particularly relevant for some of us.

He found that during rest, when we turn mentally inward, task-negative areas [when you're daydreaming/just thinking about things] use more energy than the rest of the brain. In a 2001 paper, he dubbed this activity “a default mode of brain function.” Two years later, after generating higher-resolution data, a team from the Stanford University School of Medicine discovered that this task-negative activity defines a coherent network of interacting brain regions, which they called the default mode network.

The discovery of the default mode network ignited curiosity among neuroscientists about what the brain is doing in the absence of an outward-focused task. Although some researchers believed that the network’s main function was to generate our experience of mind wandering or daydreaming, there were plenty of other conjectures. Maybe it controlled streams of consciousness or activated memories of past experiences. And dysfunction in the default mode network was floated as a potential feature of nearly every psychiatric and neurological disorder, including depression, schizophrenia and Alzheimer’s disease.
These [default mode] regions are associated with memory, experience replay, prediction, action consideration, reward/punishment and information integration.

Very good article on why we keep seeing stories about how everything we know is wrong.

A scientist [...] did successfully publish a paper [...] where they did explore some aspect of an alternative theory.

Then, a public or media relations person, usually someone associated with the host university [...] writes a press release that tries their best to promote this research to as wide of an audience as possible.

And then [...] a large series of websites will simply republish that press release as news [...] rarely fact-checking with other scientists or finding the appropriate context for the new research, and instead just repeating or even amplifying the sensational claims that were made in the paper and exaggerated in the press release.

Back
Top Bottom