Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The job hunting support thread

Just had what was basically a 'speed' interview.
I went in one room, got asked a question when a whistle blew and had to talk for three minutes until another whistle blew, then went in another room where they repeated the process. It was horrible.
Sorry you didn't get through, OU, but this lot would've been hell to work for.

another :(

bit frankly any organisation that takes the piss this much at the interview stage is likely to take the piss as an employer.

How the fuck are people supposed to get to 4 interviews if they are on the dole and have to travel to the interview?

and how are people already in work supposed to get 4 days off work for it?

:mad:

I thought legally your employer had to allow you the time off for interview?

Only if you're working out notice due to redundancy - more here

I think in local government you're allowed time off for other local government interviews (that may no longer be the case) under the contract of employment, but not by law.

And it's often not a great idea to let your current employer that you're looking for something else.

Only if you're working out notice due to redundancy - more here

I think in local government you're allowed time off for other local government interviews (that may no longer be the case) under the contract of employment, but not by law.

And it's often not a great idea to let your current employer that you're looking for something else.

Ah I see, cheers. :)

I have a job interview tomorrow.

:eek:

Think it must be the first job interview in at least 6 years (can't remember the last time I got as far as applying for jobs)

:eek: :eek:

It's admin kinda level at a university - any ideas on whether suit & tie would be expected or would collar & tie be reasonable?

Generally speaking, only management level people seem to be expected to wear a suit to work, but I tend to err on the side of smarter for an interview.

Although if it's as hot as today I'll look like a pile of laundry by the time I get there if I wear the suit...

I have a job interview tomorrow.
<snip>
It's admin kinda level at a university - any ideas on whether suit & tie would be expected or would collar & tie be reasonable?
<snip>
Although if it's as hot as today I'll look like a pile of laundry by the time I get there if I wear the suit...
Good luck Puddy_Tat. Given the heat, collar and tie, but carry your suit jacket folded over one arm (if only to prove that you have got a suit and you did want to dress appropriately, except that it was too hot)?

Good luck Puddy_Tat. Given the heat, collar and tie, but carry your suit jacket folded over one arm (if only to prove that you have got a suit and you did want to dress appropriately, except that it was too hot)?

Thanks. Might do that.

Although sod's law says I'll probably drop the stupid thing

and you never know, the office could be air-conditioned to 'fridge' setting...

Better overdressed than under, mate. Good luck! Sorry to hear about the job, OU, but I agree that interview method sounds torturous and not very respectful of applicants.

Back from my hols now, so going to look into what's about tomorrow - still not much, I imagine, it being August, but that's fine.

I didn't get the job - fairly positive feedback and that they had someone with direct experience of working in a university setting.

Meh.

Suppose that for pretty much every job out there, there's people with exactly the right experience, so while I can't get anything in my own line, there will be people with better experience even at the most basic clerical level in anything else.

I think I'm doomed, aren't I?

I dunno - I feared there'd be a zillion more qualified people applying for every job I went for, but I've still been getting interviews. Exactly the right experience doesn't always get the job - I suppose they'll often say that's what happened, as it's an unchallengable reason for not having given it to you!

Don't seem to have missed any new opportunities while on holiday. Agent doesn't have word yet on whether the British Museum will see me after I missed the slot due to holiday, so I suppose they're still deciding if they have enough people to take forward to second interview, or would like to see me as well.

In the meantime, I've been reading through a free parents' mag I pick up sometimes from Ez's nursery, and the editing is either very bad or non-existent. There's some quite bad mistakes, one article that doesn't really make sense and a lot of jarring writing that needs some copyediting. Considering dropping them a line and offering my freelance services to make the whole thing a bit more professional.

Probably going to apply for a job, although I'm pissed off about the pay. It's with a major player, has 'senior' in the title and is pretty responsible, but it doesn't even break £30k, which is a bit crap IMO. These guys can definitely afford more! Agent says 'but the perks are good', which in publishing means the perks are what you'd expect in any other field. Ho hum!

There's no doubt now I'm heading for a minimal payrise, which sucks as we really need to buy a bigger place.

Oh dear, I'm going to see an agency tomorrow about a job I applied for but I don't understand the job title at all. I mean, it asked for the experience that I have and they obviously think I can do it because they've asked me to fill out the registration forms and that, but the job title makes no sense and doesn't match up to what they say the company does. And I can't even write it here because it would be totally googlable and it isn't a normal title! :facepalm:

Oh dear, I'm going to see an agency tomorrow about a job I applied for but I don't understand the job title at all. <snip> I can't even write it here because it would be totally googlable and it isn't a normal title! :facepalm:
733t 1t? put it in leet?

Back
Top Bottom