Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I've started to see some white cyclamen seedlings appearing in my garden. As far as I know, none of my neighbours have any so I guess the bees have been travelling further afield when pollinating my cyclamen flowers.

This one's forced its way up through a dianthus.

There were some white ones with magenta bases in amongst the lavender but I couldn't find any in flower today.

I need to keep a closer eye on them so I can transplant them to somewhere where they won't be forgotten.

Bloody hell. I had to vanish for a few weeks (not that any fucker noticed) and am dithering about coming back...except the garden thread has become a bit moribund and, I feel, needs an injection of vim and vigour. FFS, this is the start of the new gardening year and there have been no posts for over a week. Anyways, still undecided whether to just concentrate on full time gardening and criminal enterprise (knockback at DWP) or do I really need to get sucked back into Urban, The allotment looks fucking glorious cos I got a new chainsaw for my birthday and I have been brutalising massive briar roses which I have not been able to get near for over a decade. Sigh...what to do.

Bloody hell. I had to vanish for a few weeks (not that any fucker noticed) and am dithering about coming back...except the garden thread has become a bit moribund and, I feel, needs an injection of vim and vigour. FFS, this is the start of the new gardening year and there have been no posts for over a week. Anyways, still undecided whether to just concentrate on full time gardening and criminal enterprise (knockback at DWP) or do I really need to get sucked back into Urban, The allotment looks fucking glorious cos I got a new chainsaw for my birthday and I have been brutalising massive briar roses which I have not been able to get near for over a decade. Sigh...what to do.
You were mentioned on the "posters who have disappeared" thread, here: https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/posters-who-have-disappeared-part-3.361711/post-17892086

I was hoping you would pop in and comment on my bubbly Tilia query on the what is this bush/tree/plant thread. Next time I'll keep tagging you until you reply :p

Ok, so ONE person noticed...which is, I supposed one more than what I get from the bloody family and friends. I said I got a chainsaw for my birthday but neglected to mention I bought it for myself. Nothing like feeling surplus to requirements though.

Back off to plant world where its all a bit more upfront inasmuch all the plants are basically only concerned with sex and violence but I get to use the daisy grubber and hoe...

finally, I get to try a flounce...please no replies tho cos embarrassed and won't be looking

I've been enjoying the garden recently and somewhat unseasonably 😻

IMG_20221029_124617958.jpg

Lots of plants still going that would have usually given up by now. The Salvia amistad is going great guns and looks really lovely next to the deep pink/cerise nerine that was a salvage from the possibly dead section.

Ok, so ONE person noticed...which is, I supposed one more than what I get from the bloody family and friends. I said I got a chainsaw for my birthday but neglected to mention I bought it for myself. Nothing like feeling surplus to requirements though.

Back off to plant world where its all a bit more upfront inasmuch all the plants are basically only concerned with sex and violence but I get to use the daisy grubber and hoe...

finally, I get to try a flounce
Not going to like this but you had better reappear like a spring bulb!

It's the middle of November and my brugs are lining up for a final flourish !
Sadly the ipomea alba (moonflower) only managed one open bloom and the remaining flowers have been giving up before they get that far. Definitely a plant for a conservatory without any artificial lighting to interfere with the daylength.

bruglate.jpg

With genuine cold on its way and already looking a bit beaten up, I finally hacked down the 9 foot ricinus in the front garden - sadly I didn't have the wherewithal to get a selfie alongside it. :(

Here it was on 4th November ...

ricinusearlier.jpg

I think I paid £12.99 for my banana in the back garden, but I went to the trouble of lifting it - it was as big as me growing in a tub from a late planting. I may plant it in the ground in the front garden next year if it survives.

So as I learned from elsewhere, I chopped off the leaves, wrestled it out of the tub, trimmed the roots and got off most of the compost, and it's upside down in what used to be a kitchen drying out like a monster corm.
It should hopefully be cold enough in there. The similarly treated brugmansias will join it shortly.

bananaselfieredacted.jpgbananaindoors.jpg

I think I'd better dig up, prune and root-prune my brugmansias today ...
:(
I already have two small pink ones indoors and they would be far too big if they were able to resprout from this size, but I would still like to have decent size plants for next year ...

1670491673530.png

Brugs dug up, trimmed, crudely root-pruned and stuffed into 15 litre buckets.
I've left the weedy yellow one in the ground and heaped up soil around it - as an experiment.
I don't expect it to sprout, but I'm not really intending to grow it next year anyway ...
I will half-heartedly attempt to root the bundles of prunings from the white and pink ones as extra insurance ...
I now need to find some motivation to buy and plant bulbs in the containers I now have available ...

1670500671496.png

We noticed!

Nearly finished raking up the leaves (20 sycamores around the edge of the garden), about 16 barrowfulls so far and another 4 to go :thumbs: Then time to pull some of the ivy and brambles around the place. I discovered last year that winter's the best time to do that.

P.S. I'm sort of assuming it's ok not to bother clearing the leaves from flower beds - needs to be done elsewhere otherwise it kills off the grass.

Nearly finished raking up the leaves (20 sycamores around the edge of the garden), about 16 barrowfulls so far and another 4 to go :thumbs: Then time to pull some of the ivy and brambles around the place. I discovered last year that winter's the best time to do that.

P.S. I'm sort of assuming it's ok not to bother clearing the leaves from flower beds - needs to be done elsewhere otherwise it kills off the grass.
Sycamore leaves are a pain as they seem to take longer to rot down than most other leaves. I'm lucky, I only have one sycamore on my boundary at the back. There are several other trees (ash, apple, birch and beech) but they aren't so much of a problem. The worst thing with the sycamores is the seedlings - I get hundreds, if not thousands of seeds which drift into my garden from the trees further away.

I only clear leaves off the lawn and the paths but do sometimes move them away from the smaller plants in the flower beds.

Yep hundreds of sycamore seedlings/year the only saving grace is that they're really easy to pull out.

I think I'll do that with the leaves, too, I'm sure the wind periodically blows them over the grass though :mad:

I have a three-foot deep hole in the garden that I've been filling in over the last three or four years with leaves and weedings and other stuff that will rot down. Is this going to be ok if it's just organic matter, or should it have inorganic stuff in there to help with the drainage?

I also have a load of old broken plant pots and crockery and scrappy things in another part of the garden that I've never known what to do with. Would it be good to throw these in said hole to help with drainage?

I have a three-foot deep hole in the garden that I've been filling in over the last three or four years with leaves and weedings and other stuff that will rot down. Is this going to be ok if it's just organic matter, or should it have inorganic stuff in there to help with the drainage?

I also have a load of old broken plant pots and crockery and scrappy things in another part of the garden that I've never known what to do with. Would it be good to throw these in said hole to help with drainage?

I would say yes - but depending on your underlying soil .......clay ?

It would fill the hole up! Sounds like a plan.

Back
Top Bottom