Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

As it’s so hot and I’m still hungover I decided to empty and turn and refill a 550 litre compost bin. Blimey. All energy gone now. I need another, bigger compost bin as well for chicken shit.

The chillis love the heat, sun and seaweed extract. I managed to get bone meal fish stuff from Poundland today. The seaweed is pricey. This was buttons. Garden will stink though.

My hydrangeas have gone a bit crispy. Is it a good or bad idea to chop off the crispy flower heads? I've already done some. I know they might not flower if you prune them too late in the year but not sure what this might do?

My hydrangeas have gone a bit crispy. Is it a good or bad idea to chop off the crispy flower heads? I've already done some. I know they might not flower if you prune them too late in the year but not sure what this might do?
Ours did as well. Someone will be along with good advice re chopping off the crispy heads I hope! Yesterday's rain really revived the leaves though.

A new project: I always sow a few 'insurance squashes' in case the ones I plant out fail. They normally go on the compost heap if not needed, but this chap (honeyboat squash) impressed me with his lust for life, so I whacked 50l of mpc in a dalek and put him in the top. To be continued!View attachment 330311View attachment 330312
So..... 6wks later, time for an update!

Little blighter has loved its time in the compost bin - sprawled everywhere and set at least one fruit. Fingers crossed it will ripen before October!

20220821_095206.jpg20220821_095156.jpg

Grrr the email didn't say that but yes that's right. I must admit I was wondering what they'd do with all their present stock.

Ah, sod this. I am now dwelling in futurefantasyland and ordering bulbs!

And, as a desperate reward for the trials and disappointments of this year. I have been on a rare plants website and have spent almost all of my gardening budget on ridiculous, rare and special bulbs. A whole year of saving £2 coins, gone in 15 minutes. I ordered 2 lots of species tulips at £6 - 8 a single bulb (I ordered 10) a climbing tropolaeum, 10 tiny white autumn flowering acis and, most spectacularly of all, have blown £40 on 6 teeny tecophilaea. I visit my local botanics every year without fail, just to see the blue chilean crocus (tecophilaea) but this year, I will damn well have my own. O yeah, some Moroccan narcissus - the gorgeous pure white waiterii and a handful of rain lilies (zephyranthes). Going to make some hypertufa troughs over winter, for special display purposes as I have high hopes that my seed-grown hoop petticoats (narcissus romeiuxi) and tulipa sprengeri are going to bloom next season.

I also bought a bunch of anemones (250 Caen in purple and white), leucojum and camassia for my meadow. I had a glorious year until mid June, when it went downhill from then...so going all out for another spring and early summer show and will fuck off to the wood for July/August and September cos I am also planning a full 12month allotment break for soil repairing (have got green manure seeds and all the legumes). I have just enough £££ left to pay my allotments rent for next year.

This is shameful, I know, but the south end of my wood is basically peat-based reed bed... so I will almost definitely be digging a few buckets to take home...in true Norfolk tradition. The entire Broad wetlands are man-made peat-cuttings so I have no real qualms about liberating a few spadefuls.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom