Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I randomly sowed and planted some baby spaghetti squashes and it looks like I wait for them to turn orange ?
Or was there a seed mixup ?

spagsquash.jpg

I randomly sowed and planted some baby spaghetti squashes and it looks like I wait for them to turn orange ?
Or was there a seed mixup ?

View attachment 334452
Is that round or elongated? I haven't grown them the last few years, but I don't remember them looking like that.

ETA I just remembered that my seeds came from a friend, so yours might be truer.

Is that round or elongated? I haven't grown them the last few years, but I don't remember them looking like that.

ETA I just remembered that my seeds came from a friend, so yours might be truer.
Mine are looking a bit like small melons at the moment !
The patty pans are growing greeny-white and the uchiki Kuri hubbard-types are already orange when small ...

Crap photos alert! Can anyone identify some of the wildflowers that have come on in my wildflower patches? Beginning to think they've been semi-successful now. (I know there are a good few common garden weeds in there too.) I can ID teasel and poppy and I think that's about it.PXL_20220725_193344623.jpgPXL_20220725_193302900.jpg

Mine are looking a bit like small melons at the moment !
The patty pans are growing greeny-white and the uchiki Kuri hubbard-types are already orange when small ...
My spaghetti squash grew rugby ball shaped from the outset. Some smaller but all the same shape and smooth. They're definitely not Oochie-coochies or patty pans.

It wouldn't be the first time seeds are mislabeled if they are. A voyage of discovery.

My spaghetti squash grew rugby ball shaped from the outset. Some smaller but all the same shape and smooth. They're definitely not Oochie-coochies or patty pans.

It wouldn't be the first time seeds are mislabeled if they are. A voyage of discovery.
but they started out green and turned yellow ?

The second of my two largest mirabilis plants may well be what I was hoping for in terms of colour :-
:thumbs:
(there are nine smaller plants - as yet undeclared - and the option of carefully consolidating colours in particular containers).
Apparently they produce tubers, so next year will be easier:)

pinkkkkk.jpg

My neighbours with the problem kids throwing balls over my fence who "lynched" me 3 weeks ago and who have still not apologised, have put their house up for sale after 8 years.
Hopefully my gardens will oil the wheels of the sale .. in previous years it could easily have been the other way around.
Perhaps HE may now acknowledge that the small amount of investment he made in helping me with my fence actually paid off substantially.
Not that houses around here are difficult to sell.
SHE had mentioned recently they wanted somewhere with more room for the (hyperactive) kids "but liked the community here" (actually I suspect HE at least is a Tory)
I hope in the meantime they don't inform the street that I "forced them to move" ...

It would be good to have potentially interesting people moving in I could actually have a conversation with - but of course it could be out of the frying pan and into the fire - but I really don't want to be here for more than 2 more years ...

Last edited:
My green bin arrived today so I can start dealing with the pile in the back garden - best part of a year too late - thanks to the council making me print and fill out a DD form then making me buy envelopes and find a "post office" ... they don't even have a postal address and use a PO box at a sorting office...

But it forced me to tidy up a bit to make room for it in the front room - which is my recycling / rubbish buffering area - and in the process I am now 99 percent certain that over the past couple of months I managed to leave my two bush hats I'd had for 20 years in the garden long enough for the foxes to steal them - bastards.

So I'll order a replacement from Millets and a cheap airbed for heatwave emergencies and garden camping ...

I lifted the fully-pollinated sunflower from the front garden, snipped the pollinated head from the other, multi-headed one and straightened it with cord and inner tube..The agapanthus - propped up on bricks - can now be seen from the street ... multi-headed sunflowers are definitely the way to go in a small garden...

maingarden.jpg

I had a cleanup in my "patio" area in the back garden - hopefully I will sort out the remaining big containers - the banana is being swamped by the circle of helichrysums so I will put those in their own container and replace them with fennels ... hopefully I will sort the sweet pea spires - and my best ipomoea alba in a container needs some better stickage - though I probably don't want it too tall ... I have plans when I build the camping platform (where I was sitting when taking this photo) to run cordage over the patio at around 8 feet to support lighting etc ...

I think the neighbours are off on hols next week - which should spur me to get my chop saw downstairs ...

Believe it or not I fully intend to get the hydro salad working . I have a much larger tank to try ...

I really needed to have got that pile of green waste disposed of by now ...

Incredible that most of this was a pinch of seed and a few corms only months ago ...

sillypanoramahalf.jpg

Last edited:
I lifted the fully-pollinated sunflower from the front garden, snipped the pollinated head from the other, multi-headed one and straightened it with cord and inner tube..The agapanthus - propped up on bricks - can now be seen from the street ... multi-headed sunflowers are definitely the way to go in a small garden...

View attachment 334736

I had a cleanup in my "patio" area in the back garden - hopefully I will sort out the remaining big containers - the banana is being swamped by the circle of helichrysums so I will put those in their own container and replace them with fennels ... hopefully I will sort the sweet pea spires - and my best ipomoea alba in a container needs some better stickage - though I probably don't want it too tall ... I have plans when I build the camping platform (where I was sitting when taking this photo) to run cordage over the patio at around 8 feet to support lighting etc ...

I think the neighbours are off on hols next week - which should spur me to get my chop saw downstairs ...

Believe it or not I fully intend to get the hydro salad working . I have a much larger tank to try ...

I really needed to have got that pile of green waste disposed of by now ...

Incredible that most of this was a pinch of seed and a few corms only months ago ...

View attachment 334743
Bottom picture looks great.

Bottom picture looks great.

It's difficult to illustrate just how little room there is left for me in this "marshalling yard" - and there are still quite a few things fattening up in the "allotment" and the front garden is pretty well full too !
I will be glad when I've built the deck / tent platform to establish the part of the garden that belongs to me :D

The Ipomeoea "Pearly Gates" I bought by mistake when I meant to buy i.alba have started flowering.
They look a bit like bindweed, but i think they have the edge ...
I used them at the back of the garden where there would be no point in having perfumed flowers that only open at night ...

pearly.jpgpearly2.jpg

I just spotted a guerilla weed patch in a quiet spot in my neighbourhood - probably just a bunch of bird seed raised in a pot and then transplanted for a laugh :)
I will be interested to see how long it survives ...

Back
Top Bottom