Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I'm getting ready to sow a lot of different chili seeds. Plus looking at raising peppers and so on under a grow light anticipating an early spring. Compost is at it's cheapest right now with lots of old stock at 25% of normal price. A good time to dig the vegetable beds over in the hope of more frosts to do for slugs and pathogens.

I would say yes - but depending on your underlying soil .......clay ?
yes clay. I wouldn't have thought of it for drainage but I half remember reading about a farmer who had a machine that took out all the rocks from a piece of ground and when it was done put them all back again for the drainage.

Will be nice to get rid of all the broken bits though, I've been wondering what to do with them. I've tried to use some of the broken flower pots creatively but it's never really worked :(

yes clay. I wouldn't have thought of it for drainage but I half remember reading about a farmer who had a machine that took out all the rocks from a piece of ground and when it was done put them all back again for the drainage.

Will be nice to get rid of all the broken bits though, I've been wondering what to do with them. I've tried to use some of the broken flower pots creatively but it's never really worked :(
Burying old crap (not plastic) is very satisfying

two sheds what's the point of the hole / adding stuff? I don't understand if you're trying to make compost or plant something in the hole or just level the ground off or what.

Either way, if you're on clay then that's what you need to be filling it up with, mostly at least. Anything much less dense will just fill with water whenever you get a lot of rain.

two sheds what's the point of the hole / adding stuff? I don't understand if you're trying to make compost or plant something in the hole or just level the ground off or what.
I wondered whether anyone would notice :oops:

the intention .....

... was to build a bit of a sunken summer house because I've always wanted a sunken type house, but I realized after it had been dug out (soil gone to make flower beds elsewhere) that I was never going to do it and even if I did I was never going to use it.

so I'm gradually filling it in with the aim of putting a bit of a (fruit?) tree surrounded by plants/flowers in there, not sure what yet because it's a bit shaded by damson treelets surrounding it.

Reactions: tim
Either way, if you're on clay then that's what you need to be filling it up with, mostly at least. Anything much less dense will just fill with water whenever you get a lot of rain.
Eta: it is Cornwall but I'm not sure that we often get three foot of rain :eek:

I wondered whether anyone would notice :oops:

the intention .....

... was to build a bit of a sunken summer house because I've always wanted a sunken type house, but I realized after it had been dug out (soil gone to make flower beds elsewhere) that I was never going to do it and even if I did I was never going to use it.

so I'm gradually filling it in with the aim of putting a bit of a (fruit?) tree surrounded by plants/flowers in there, not sure what yet because it's a bit shaded by damson treelets surrounding it.
Some finished compost and/or organic matter to break down over time is fine, but if you're on heavy clay a hole that deep is gonna turn into a lake in winter if it's filled with something much more free-draining than the surrounding soil. Adding stuff like gravel won't really help.

Eta: it is Cornwall but I'm not sure that we often get three foot of rain :eek:
It's to do with the density of the soil types. Imagine you have a bucket full of sand, then you dig a hole and fill it with uncooked pasta or marbles or something and then pour a watering can over it. The hole will turn into a puddle while the water drains more slowly through the much denser sand.

Even if the hole is ten foot across? It didn't fill with water when the hole was 'empty'. I'm hoping it will eventually drain away - it's reasonably close to the edge of the garden when then slopes away a good 20 foot down.

Even if the hole is ten foot across? It didn't fill with water when the hole was 'empty'. I'm hoping it will eventually drain away - it's reasonably close to the edge of the garden when then slopes away a good 20 foot down.
Ok so stuff like this makes a difference but you did just say "a three foot deep hole" :D

Which? reviews compost:

B&Q comes out top in the three categories which surprises me, and after I've just bought a large number of bags of other compost :rolleyes:, I've had good experience of that, though.

Lidl have their seed selection in now. I got really good results from their seeds last year. I'm looking to sow stuff for my garden and to fill up all the containers at work which have been neglected for a long while.

I also got two kilo of wild flowers seeds coming. My vague plan is to sow a big circle of them in Brockwell Park in order to have a pretty meeting/picnic spot.

I also got two kilo of wild flowers seeds coming. My vague plan is to sow a big circle of them in Brockwell Park in order to have a pretty meeting/picnic spot.
Where do you suppose would be suitable to sow them ?
Wheat sort of ground ?
Quite apart from its being illegal.

Depends on a few things. It's the method I use for sowing large areas of wildflower mix at work (not soaking or any of that faff, but just flinging handfuls of seed about).
But they will be in competition with grass that isn't being managed as a meadow.
Perhaps incorporate corncockle... EDIT: I meant yellow rattle - (parasite on grass)

Last edited:
Depends on a few things. It's the method I use for sowing large areas of wildflower mix at work (not soaking or any of that faff, but just flinging handfuls of seed about).
"feeding the birds" as we also call it :)

yes I've tried that on lawns and it's not worked because as gg says it competes with the grass which is already well established.

I've not done well with wildflower mixes at all, even when I've cleared the ground though, so don't listen to me.

But they will be in competition with grass that isn't being managed as a meadow.
Perhaps incorporate corncockle...
This lot was sown the same year as we first introduced yellow rattle, so it hadn't weakened the grass any yet before the other stuff germinated and started growing. I can't find a pic this second but I have other areas that all grow much shorter which were sown exactly the same way. Very much depends on species / soil & environment / sowing time & conditions, ime.
Taking the no-mow thing to extremes here :D
View attachment 328834

ox-eye/michaelmas daisies? what else is there?I do have loads of established ox-eye daisies I could transplant to a grassy type area.

ox-eye/michaelmas daisies? what else is there?I do have loads of established ox-eye daisies I could transplant to a grassy type area.
In that pic? Poppies, corncockle, vetch, yellow rattle as mentioned, lots more stuff that I can't remember right now that mostly does its thing a bit earlier on before the ox-eyes take over completely (even in the bad drought last summer they ended up as tall as me!)

I sorted out my own vegetable garden and my flower beds. Double dug the former and single dug the latter. Pleased that we had sharp frosts just after. Kill those slugs and pests! Break up those clods!

Back
Top Bottom