Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Local "Environmental scientist" loonies might be after you if you spray glyphosate, too

I made a point of buying some glyphosate a few years back, but in the end didn't need it for my bamboo.
Before safely disposing of it I may have to spray something with it just to say I have ...
(I'll probably give it to my brother - he may still have horsetails to get rid of ...)

Yes I got a smallish bottle of roundup about 10 years ago for japanese knotweed - also some bamboo I foolishly put too close to an outhouse - I soak a small bit of paper towel in it and tie it onto a stem with a small bit of plastic bag over it. I've still got 9/10ths of of the bottle left, I just hope it doesn't degrade over time.

I haven't decided on the wild flower planting in Brockwell Park yet. I fear getting caught with the weed killer even though that's unlikely. I do like the idea of being accused of Guerrilla gardening and me going off on a tangent about what Gorillas? Silver back? 1970's throwbacks in South America? My close people have mainly sighed and shared a look. I know that look.

I went to Wilco today for purple shallots and early Rocket spuds. They say plant the spuds in Feb. When do I plant the shallots?

I have grown (under a light) over 60 chilli plants of various varieties. They are all looking lush. We are going to have a chilli growing competition at work. Bring everyone closer, engagement and all that. The variety, "basket of fire" has been hard to germinate. This type produces a bush with hundreds of fruits. Out of fifty seeds, one came up. I tried again last night, soaking the seeds in a cup of nutrient solution for 12 hours then planted in a propagator in a warm room.

I have grown (under a light) over 60 chilli plants of various varieties. They are all looking lush. We are going to have a chilli growing competition at work. Bring everyone closer, engagement and all that. The variety, "basket of fire" has been hard to germinate. This type produces a bush with hundreds of fruits. Out of fifty seeds, one came up. I tried again last night, soaking the seeds in a cup of nutrient solution for 12 hours then planted in a propagator in a warm room.
Don't soak chilli seeds. They don't want to be soaking wet, they'll just rot. I sow mine into tiny pots, keep at 28°C and they don't get watered again in the week or so it takes them to germinate.

Thanks for the advice. Take three, chilli seeds!
Sorry I have to compulsively troubleshoot people's seed germination issues because it's kind of my thing, ignore this if you want :oops:

Other things I'd be looking at are temp (how warm is that room, is it that warm consistently and if not how cold does it get, is the propagator in direct sunlight?) and potting mix - nothing too lumpy or claggy (I make my own mix but coir is good for this, you want it damp but not soaking and firmed down enough to make good contact with the seed's surface but not enough to squash out every bit of air)

Sorry I have to compulsively troubleshoot people's seed germination issues because it's kind of my thing, ignore this if you want :oops:

Other things I'd be looking at are temp (how warm is that room, is it that warm consistently and if not how cold does it get, is the propagator in direct sunlight?) and potting mix - nothing too lumpy or claggy (I make my own mix but coir is good for this, you want it damp but not soaking and firmed down enough to make good contact with the seed's surface but not enough to squash out every bit of air)
I'm trying to germinate some seeds at the moment and this is marvellous advice, thank you.

I want your advice! I was not being snarky!!

The seeds are in a propagator and in a room that is constantly at 75c.

I'm trying to germinate some seeds at the moment and this is marvellous advice, thank you.
There's a good guide for germination temps here

You can build a mini propagator out of tupperware, or those plastic trays fruit gets sold in plus some bubble wrap, if you don't have one. They can get really hot in direct sunlight so it's a good idea to monitor temps at first if you have any way of doing that. Airing cupboard or balanced on top of the boiler are both good spots for germinating heat lovers (toms to an extent, def peppers/chillis, cucurbits later in the spring) otherwise - I'm not on metered electric so I use the oven with just the lightbulb on. Some seeds like parsley can take ages to germinate, and some plants' seeds (not any common veg I can think of) will need special treatment like soaking, nicking the seed's coating, or one or more cycles of cold and then warmer temperatures. Some seeds need light to germinate, generally they tend to be very small ones but check by species. Sowing under compost as deep as 1-2x the size of the seed usually works as a general rule.

There's a good guide for germination temps here

You can build a mini propagator out of tupperware, or those plastic trays fruit gets sold in plus some bubble wrap, if you don't have one. They can get really hot in direct sunlight so it's a good idea to monitor temps at first if you have any way of doing that. Airing cupboard or balanced on top of the boiler are both good spots for germinating heat lovers (toms to an extent, def peppers/chillis, cucurbits later in the spring) otherwise - I'm not on metered electric so I use the oven with just the lightbulb on. Some seeds like parsley can take ages to germinate, and some plants' seeds (not any common veg I can think of) will need special treatment like soaking, nicking the seed's coating, or one or more cycles of cold and then warmer temperatures.
Thanks so much! Loads of excellent info.

My partner bought me one of those propagator gardens for Christmas. There are 4 types of herbs growing in it (growing really well!), but I thought I'd add some extra seeds in fibre pots within the grow lamp vicinity. And I bought some zinc pots with coir and seeds at Sainsbury's so I'm nurturing those (dwarf sunflowers and chillis). I don't have extra heating though so none of them might work. It's about 17 or 18 degrees so quite a bit below the warmth needed.

My partner bought me one of those propagator gardens for Christmas. There are 4 types of herbs growing in it (growing really well!), but I thought I'd add some extra seeds in fibre pots within the grow lamp vicinity. And I bought some zinc pots with coir and seeds at Sainsbury's so I'm nurturing those (dwarf sunflowers and chillis). I don't have extra heating though so none of them might work. It's about 17 or 18 degrees so quite a bit below the warmth needed.
Hello, interested in the propogator garden idea/concept. May I ask, would you post a pic? :)

Just make really sure to keep the coir damp but not wet as those temps, and if you have any spots that get a bit warmer (kitchen cupboard next to the oven, PC case, under/above a lamp...) that will really make a difference just until they've germinated.

Just make really sure to keep the coir damp but not wet as those temps, and if you have any spots that get a bit warmer (kitchen cupboard next to the oven, PC case, under/above a lamp...) that will really make a difference just until they've germinated.
They're in the sunniest window but the kitchen is proper cold. Possibly the airing cupboard. Thanks again.

They're in the sunniest window but the kitchen is proper cold. Possibly the airing cupboard. Thanks again.
They don't need light until they're poking their heads out above the soil, prioritise warmth before then. Airing cupboard will probably be ideal :)

They don't need light until they're poking their heads out above the soil, prioritise warmth before then. Airing cupboard will probably be ideal :)
I'll do that! Thank you. BTW as you said the parsley in the propagator garden took AGES to germinate but when it did it proper grew very fast and caught up. Not all of the seeds germinated though.

I hope so! 75f is about 24c.

75c is 167 degrees in old money
I can set the space to 28c.

I would like to know more about hot cold cycles to sprout old seeds. I get given seeds and don't have much success with a particular species. :)

I have really got into growing stuff from seed over the last few years. I had the time during lockdown one and giving away a lot of vegetable plants was a great way to see another human from a distance and smile a bit. :)

I germinated a whole tomatoes worth last year and gave away over 3 dozen big plants, all ready for planting in May. It pleases me to engage a bit with the neighbours. The chilli growing competition I am organising this year is much more about engagement and connection than gardening if I'm honest. Hence me planning to give away a lot of grown on plants in March, I want all to be a winner.

Any tips on sprouting Aubergine seeds? They seem so small I immediately lose them? :)

I would like to know more about hot cold cycles to sprout old seeds. I get given seeds and don't have much success with a particular species. :)
What species? It won't really make a difference if they don't need that temp change to break dormancy. Seed needs to be fresh for some things, it might just be that it's too old.

I don't grow aubergines because I don't have a greenhouse but I'd assume they're similar to other veg that likes warmth?

Back
Top Bottom