Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

move it to where you can't see it is my answer to most things :oops::D

my fuschia has something ?virusy going on with the leaves atm i should cut those bits out i think.

I had a year-old azaiea have most of its leaves go brown in the last dry spell (reminds me, must go see how it's doing) :( I had hopes for that azalea.

I think it's just had too much sun and got a bit hot and bothered. I'll keep it in the shade for a while and see what happens.
That certainly what's happened to me over the past week, and the general policy I'm trying to follow.

Hope your fuschia is feeling better soon.

My fuchsia is rusty, it turned out. Have trimmed back the worst of it, but could do with some tlc - it,s one of the survivors of the original garden so coming up for 30 :eek: Has been in the same pot a long time and might be getting too wet where it is, so maybe a position change too.

My fuchsia is rusty, it turned out. Have trimmed back the worst of it, but could do with some tlc - it,s one of the survivors of the original garden so coming up for 30 :eek: Has been in the same pot a long time and might be getting too wet where it is, so maybe a position change too.

We've just come out of a very soggy June and July so it may just be that.

I was just observing a leafcutter bee nip a bit off my acer tree. Next thing, the bee dropped to the ground and a big spider tried to capture it. I poked the spider with a blade of grass and the bee made its escape (albeit without the leaf).

Henceforth, I would appreciate it if you'd refer to me as 'Seamus, defender of the bees, scourge of big bastard spiders'.

I remembered reading about praise for the Lady Gardner and thought I would ask for contact details to see if was a feasible option to hire her to help my niece with a garden. A quick google search has saved me some embarrassment, but thought it’d share anyway 😳 didn’t realise Lady Gardener is the name of a rose

Two maybe three weeks of good tomatoes left I think, rains not been kind to already damaged plants

More will struggle in but I doubt we'll get any in bulk after then. Glad I brought some potted ones back a while ago

This is a lesson on not being taken in by a special offer as it's usually too good to be true!

I placed an order with Suttons for 30 perennial plug plants for £6 plus postage. I thought how bad could they be for just £6?

The order was placed on 2nd June 2021. I'd heard nothing by the end of June so I followed it up with an email via their website - still nothing!

I thought I'd Twitter-shame them in the middle of July as I'd still heard nothing. It went to DMs and eventually on 16th July they promised to despatch my order.

It's taken ten days and it's arrived today.

This is what I got. (£1 coin for scale)

IMG_2858.jpgIMG_2859.jpgIMG_2860.jpg

The ones that are still (just about alive) are barely bigger than seedlings. :mad:

Yeah we got some plugs (I didn't know what they were) from another online place and it was the exact same experience.

The only good experience I've had online is Crocus.

I got about 70 I think it was a couple of months ago. Around 6-8 arrived dead so it still wasn't too bad a deal. I thought then that they probably started out all ok a couple of months before but were dropping the price as time and dead seedlings went on.

I contacted Suttons and showed them the photos. They've agreed to refund my money.

When I finish work (soon!) I'll see how many I can salvage. I guess I'll be treating them as seedlings and will prick them out.

I'll also have to work out what plant is what. There's a message in the box about a change in the order because "some of our plug plant varieties no longer reach our stringent quality standards for despatch" :rolleyes: so they've substituted some varieties.

Wish me luck!

Hmmm...

All the achillea are dead.
I think four or five of the echinacea "might" survive if I'm lucky.
They substituted delphiniums for the geums but I don't think any of them are alive although a couple are showing some signs of green.
The salvias are on the point of total dehydration but "might" pull round.
The verbena bonariensis, which I didn't actually want (but thought the others were worth the price) will possibly survive.

Last edited:
I took all the plug plants out first one I had, then realized that the labels were attached to the card that I'd just taken all the plug plants out of.
The little label (under the £1 coin) on the photo above shows a letter and a plant name. Looking at the plastic case there's also a letter for each row but as you can see they weren't exactly packed neatly in the rows intended.

I think the ones on the top left of the main photo are salvias
Then the ones top right are the verbena, the upside down ones top right are probably the delphiniums.
The bottom left look like echinacea to me.
The bottom right (and squashed all over the packaging!) are the achillea.

At least, I think that's right. :confused:

ETA: When I removed the delphiniums from the packaging this evening they mostly disintegrated.

Back
Top Bottom