Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Rosebay willowherb, heinous seamus . A bit weedy but I kinda like them. You might want to be vigilant with topping them before they run to seed though.
Yes I thought they might be campion but leaves look wrong. I just pull them because I know they'll go to seed and get everyfuckingwhere if I don't. Love the tall ones outside my garden though - one of the first wild plants I recognized, when I were teenager. I could just never remember the name apart from tumtum tum te tum until I remember that the name includes 'rose'.

Another one I never remember is periwinkle, one of the few I know the latin for (vinca major, vinca minor, vinca alba ...) but don't remember the proper name I think because the word's a bit naughty :oops: .

I did edit my post, two sheds cos I knew they were not rosebay willowherb, aka fireweed, but couldn't remember the botanical name of one HS posted. I have a white one which has never seeded around....but the pink angustifolium is very seedy (but pretty) I have the far less attractive small willowherb (parvifolium?) as an annoying allotment weed - none of the redeeming qualities of the other epilobiums (chamaerions?)

I understood nearly all of those words :)

I was thinking I'd appreciate a thread of Latin words in plant and other names with their meanings (alba as above etc) but it would be mainly you and others contributing so thought I shouldn't.

I wanted to do latin at school when I was 10 which actually worries me a bit but they stopped it that year :(.

I generally refer to plants by their common names because I like them (common names, as a sort of folk language) but I feel it is polite to try to be botanically precise on a thread (for info and search engines and such). I frequently miss the species bit off the binomial epithet, and my grammar, capital letters and spelling is a bit dodgy. I missed a lot of the actual science and botany bit because of arsing around in the greenhouses or staring out of the window, so I am always shaky on stuff like nutrients, soil science, cells and shit but words are easy. Humulus lupulus, clematis viticella purpurea plena elegans - gorgeous, right?

I have this from college if it's any use re. latin names two sheds

E2a I think the RHS do a proper book called something like Latin for Gardeners too, you can probably see a preview online somewhere and pick up the ebook version for not much money if it looks any good.

Attachments

• 2125 RHS The Meaning of Latin Plant Names.pdf
    19.5 KB · Views: 5
I love plant names, both the Latin and common names. I planted an Ugni molinae partly because I like being able to call it the ugly tree :D and I sing at my Euphorbias to the tune of Velouria :oops: Pisses me off that Allium ursinum is commonly known as wild garlic though, when bear garlic sounds so much cooler.

Well the pissing rain of the last couple of days has paused gardening but planning go’s ahead. I have sneaked out all manner of shite into some communal bins out back.

I am a bit reluctant to have to chat to the neighbours but by the weekend it will all start to look different.

All my efforts in the big garden have come to an end with the untimely end of a relationship. I know I will miss that garden but hey.
I’m at my old place with my cat, son and hedgehogs. The garden is a mess. The house was is a mess. I’m cleaning with ammonia and it’s all ok.

My natural dye experiments have, so far, been mixed. Madder, which takes years to grow a decent amount of root, involved much chopping, stirring and faffing over a tiny flame. I did get colour, but not the deep red I was hoping for. More a sort of peachy coral. Indigo has been very frustrating, yielding only duck egg blues and not the deep rich indigo I wanted. Today, I am doing an anthemis dyebath - have already tried a small experimental vat, but, tbh, I am not that fussed about yellow dyes (and I have a large amount of onion skins as fallback). The kitchen is distinctly whiffy and I have blue hands.
Have been overhauling the spinning wheel because pre-spun yarn is spendy - around £7 for 100grammes, whereas I can buy carded wool tops for a third of that, and spin up some decent blends of wool.
I have also had a nightmare, buying all the chemicals. Used to just be able to rock up to a pharmacy and buy pickling lime (Calcium hydroxide), alum, citric, soda ash and litmus paper...but not a chance these days. All has to be ordered online. On the plus side, I now have mixed my own Bordeaux mix (for blight) as it has been discontinued for years.
Allotment has run amok...but the garden lilies are in full bloom so there's that.

Tomatoes definitely had it. The ones I've had have been nice but I swear the blight hits earlier every year. Need to be more careful with the soil I think but it's been so very damp this year...

Did spend the morning with the paintbrush poking tomatillo flowers and those are doing nicely. Chillies on the window are growing nicely.

Also vent move for squash and cucumber plants so that's something to look forward to. Think I'm also finally getting some courgettes to (the seedlings of those got repeatedly killed in May/June by slugs so late starters)

I have this from college if it's any use re. latin names two sheds

E2a I think the RHS do a proper book called something like Latin for Gardeners too, you can probably see a preview online somewhere and pick up the ebook version for not much money if it looks any good.
thanks for that :)

I've just done a first run through and marked the ones I know or (more often) can guess at. There's a surprising number. I particularly liked finding out that pinnate is from 'feather' and 'umbel' is from 'parasol, sunshade,' (diminutive of umbra: "shade, shadow" as in umbrella and umbrage) so a little umbrella.

Last edited:
Boring tedious stuff today for me.

Before the flood I weeded the gravel path that runs from the kitchen and round the back of the house.

After that I cut the hedge (mostly ivy) alongside my parking spaces and lopped back some of the overhanging branches. I need to weed the wild bed alongside one of the spaces but couldn't get to it as the car was in the way.

Then came the biblical torrents of rain so I did some errands in the car and moved it to a different space so I can now get to the wild bed and some paperwork until it finally stopped.

Since then I've pulled up all the foxgloves, scattering the seeds as I went and weeded a large part of the front garden. Still more to do including the wild bed but that can wait for tomorrow afternoon (if we don't get more rain :hmm:).

It's beginning to look a little tidier but the rain has battered down all the lavender, verbena and other tall plants.

My eupatorium is flowering quite well considering how often it has had things fall on it - plus it's really not meant for a container...
and a few things in pots did OK so for now I have quite an attractive display ...
Two of my begonia corms came good and they're already quite fragrant at nose level either side of the front door.
The brugs are a bit small due to late spring and slugs but I'm starting to see a flower or two ...

eupatorium.jpgbegonia.jpgbruggy.jpg

Well no pics but the gardening aka clearing of shite continues. I weed killer loads of shit which is happily dying now.

The lawn has had multiple mows but needs a scarification raker machine to get the moss thatch and shite out. Payday soon. Screw fix has one for fifty quid.

I cut a big semi circular bed and will soon have my Azeda to do it right.

Thinking of big bulb displays. Plus a wildflower bed.

I came in from the garden and squelched on this bastard slug through my Pringle sock.

Apparently they just appear. But previously they have been placed outside after discovery. I have never seen a fucking slug like this. Six inches long and it wriggled.

The bath panel might be coming off in the morn.

Attachments

• 88F67326-E516-42FC-AF9F-E6A8F5677A74.jpeg
    88F67326-E516-42FC-AF9F-E6A8F5677A74.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 6
I came in from the garden and squelched on this bastard slug through my Pringle sock.

Apparently they just appear. But previously they have been placed outside after discovery. I have never seen a fucking slug like this. Six inches long and it wriggled.

I get the fuckers in my hallway. Last time I stood on one soap and water wouldn't get the slime off. Ended up scrubbing with one of those green scourers .

I think it might be a leopard slug. I get them in my garden. Apparently they are one of the "good guys".

I get the fuckers in my hallway. Last time I stood on one soap and water wouldn't get the slime off. Ended up scrubbing with one of those green scourers .
If it is a leopard slug then their slime is particularly sticky. I've had the same problem trying to wash it off.

You lot need a slug management team. Veg farm had a couple of ducks on the job until a recent incident with a fox, and one of my work gardens has this little guy living in their veg bed. I made him a home out of roof tiles and grass which he seems to like :cool:
IMG-20210807-112210.jpg

You lot need a slug management team. Veg farm had a couple of ducks on the job until a recent incident with a fox, and one of my work gardens has this little guy living in their veg bed. I made him a home out of roof tiles and grass which he seems to like :cool:
IMG-20210807-112210.jpg
Ducks are supposed to be good but round here I'd definitely worry about the foxes.

I have a team of slow worms but they can't keep up with the slimy little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom