Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Great! My mum's been going on at me to set up a hoverfly lagoon and I had one all along (due to my lazy failure to drill holes in the drum my bamboo canes are in).

Shame about the bastard mosquitos though...
I did similar a couple of years back but now have an old breakfast bowl in the garden with stagnant water, rocks and detritus ready for anyone who wants to inhabit it. Hoping for hovers but happy with whatever! Loads of marmalade hoverflies this year

There's a fair bit of discussion on local Facebook groups about the foxes that frequent my garden, specific items are being missed - so I gathered together all the items I could find.
Some that I remember seeing previously have disappeared.
The work glove I lost the other day is now fingerless...

EDIT :- The Xmas tennis ball may be on its way back to the dog it was meant for :)

foxtoys.jpg

Last edited:
I had a quick look around the front garden at lunchtime.

The lavender seems to be in full swing, this one's Munstead (I think)

I transplanted these Eryngiums (Blue Cap) from the back garden last year as they were being thugs. It seems to like the new location and there's more space for it to spread out.

One of the self-seeded verbena bonariensis

This is in a neighbours garden and just goes to show how tall some roses can get.

It's great having borders packed with plants but when it backs onto a neighbours who haven't done any gardening for at least two years it's a fucking nightmare to weed out all the bindweed and brambles which have crossed the boundary! :mad:

And, why don't slugs and snails eat bindweed? They eat anything I plant but not the bloody weeds! :mad::mad::mad:

It's great having borders packed with plants but when it backs onto a neighbours who haven't done any gardening for at least two years it's a fucking nightmare to weed out all the bindweed and brambles which have crossed the boundary! :mad:

And, why don't slugs and snails eat bindweed? They eat anything I plant but not the bloody weeds! :mad::mad::mad:
Well they might eat weeds but if they're really good at it you wouldn't know cos they'd have eaten them all :thumbs:

I have a more pressing question: do slugs eat cheese? I've looked online but it doesn't seem a recognized foodstuff for them. I've got a mousetrap baited with cheese and little bits of cheese keep disappearing of a night time. There's no real evidence of mice and today there are slug trails over it. :confused:

Well they might eat weeds but if they're really good at it you wouldn't know cos they'd have eaten them all :thumbs:

I have a more pressing question: do slugs eat cheese? I've looked online but it doesn't seem a recognized foodstuff for them. I've got a mousetrap baited with cheese and little bits of cheese keep disappearing of a night time. There's no real evidence of mice and today there are slug trails over it. :confused:
Here's ya culprit and probs leaves a slime trail..

quote-there-is-absolutely-no-one-apart-from-yourself-who-can-prevent-you-in-the-middle-of-bori...jpg

been weeding next door for the cooler (ha!) part of the day. feeling all virtuous and returning to admire my view of the compst heap that's drastically improved with a bit of rejigging :) agapanthus (i think?) about to do its thing.

glorious breezes for 30 degrees :cool:

IMG_0505.jpg

eta: i still haven't dug the compost :oops: but the council's started collecting garden bags on the reg now so i've at least diverted the flow :D

We have a corner of the garden, it looks like this:

20210718_191238.jpg

Very boring lol. We were thinking of putting some planters along both the fences. My wife wants to pay someone to make them, but I think I can do it?? How hard can it be? Her condition is that she wants it to have legs because the patio is wonky. I want something deep enough that we can grow some bushy climbers up because there's a road the other side. Anyone tried anything like this before?

putting anything on legs is more hassle than building up raised bed type things on the ground. would you be able to remove the slabs next to the fence? what's under them?

putting anything on legs is more hassle than building up raised bed type things on the ground. would you be able to remove the slabs next to the fence? what's under them?

Think that would be a hard sell as the wife wouldn't want to lose that much space, like if we took up a whole slab in the right.

This doesn't look too bad?

Yeah definitely think the toms have some blight. Ripped one out and tore off a bunch of suspicious leaves. I've one growing in a tub I've kept apart I'll hike back home with, well away from the others.

That fucking rain.

orange tree is about to blossom :thumbs: i thought i may have massively overstressed it by letting it fruit, but it's bouncing back.

sparrows seem to have moved on recently so i'm risking the mulberries getting properly ripe, they keep coming and taste good :thumbs:

contemplating death by scabby apple :oops::D

IMG_0512.jpg

Looks like bugger all on my apple tree this year (bumper crop last year) I've only seen about four and two of those are on the ground.

i must have swept up a thousand when they dropped but i can't quite reach to thin them by hand which is what i think it needs atm.

I'm still not keen on the idea of peeling it with a sharp knife. Even less with dessiato having made the suggestion. I cut a cross in the base but that does tend to produce a very long root, and no stem for ages. Both of mine are (touch wood) doing really well though.

I'm still not keen on the idea of peeling it with a sharp knife. Even less with dessiato having made the suggestion. I cut a cross in the base but that does tend to produce a very long root, and no stem for ages. Both of mine are (touch wood) doing really well though.
I've never cut myself dealing with an avocado. As with any cutting, the key is a good, sharp tool. Blunt knives are dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom