Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Having five minutes break, then I'm going back outside to continue the jungle / mess clearing.
I do have "some" real life work to do, but since the sun's actually shinning, that can ******** well wait a bit.

Bracken.
when you google it its all about how to get rid but i want some.
In the woods a few steps from my garden the bracken's just beginning to unfurl, all fresh and fractal and i love the stuff.
It looks like, where the bracken is there's no nettles & vice versa.
I want to.. import some bracken from out there into in here, for the wild edges, to fight the nettles who are marching in in massed ranks.
Can i transplant a few brackens or will that just fail ?

What a lovely garden Idaho ! Is that a Tori gate? (not a Tory gate) ;)
Thank you :) it is a Torii gate. I am a shameless and brazen cultural appropriator. With the acers, bamboo and Exeter stone boulders; it's a style I call Devon suburban Zen :D
Also, love the way the trampoline is at the same level as the lawn.
I'm glad you appreciate that. The extraordinary effort and expense I went to in order to achieve the demand from my family for a trampoline, while not dominating the garden...

I''ve found Durstons Peat free really good - good consistency things seem to do well (don't know how it compares to peat compost though). Just got some Incredibloom peat free which seems a bit woodchippy but will see how it does.

Yeah I haven't found a really great peat free. But they work well enough. I think we need a supplier to put their peat free through the blender and then give it another month or so to give it a good friability.

Introducing an invasive, rhizomatous monster i(some bambood, couch grass, houtynnia, bindweed and PTERIDIUM) to my garden - well, yes, have done this too many times. Currently battling with a demented rudbeckia.
Get a mannerly bracken look-a-like, bimble .Dryopteris erythrosora (sp?) , like most of the dryopteris family, are very architectural but some of them have delicious colouration...and the autumn fern is absolutely beautiful. Also, quite a lot of the 'polys' - polystichum, polypodium will be fine in chalky soil. Most brackenish is matteucia struthiopteris - the shuttlecock fern. Best of all, although a ravenous deer will eat anything, ferns are the deerish equivalent to brussel sprouts.

Have a few ferns dotted round the garden. I tend to leave them if only because they're fucking difficult to dig out.

Thank you :) it is a Torii gate. I am a shameless and brazen cultural appropriator. With the acers, bamboo and Exeter stone boulders; it's a style I call Devon suburban Zen :D
Awesome!

Fab, you can run across the lawn onto your trampoline, how wonderful. Great garden design ;)

Melcourt is by far the best peat free compost I've tried. Better than all the peat-based brands I've used recently (at work etc) imo.

Bracken.
when you google it its all about how to get rid but i want some.
In the woods a few steps from my garden the bracken's just beginning to unfurl, all fresh and fractal and i love the stuff.
It looks like, where the bracken is there's no nettles & vice versa.
I want to.. import some bracken from out there into in here, for the wild edges, to fight the nettles who are marching in in massed ranks.
Can i transplant a few brackens or will that just fail ?
I'd quite like my own patch of bracken for composting experiments (there's a company sells compost made from bracken and sheep's wool, and I can get plenty of wool for free, so...). Once you do get it into your garden it'll try to take over though as campanula says.

Introducing an invasive, rhizomatous monster i(some bambood, couch grass, houtynnia, bindweed and PTERIDIUM) to my garden - well, yes, have done this too many times. Currently battling with a demented rudbeckia.
Get a mannerly bracken look-a-like, bimble .Dryopteris erythrosora (sp?) , like most of the dryopteris family, are very architectural but some of them have delicious colouration...and the autumn fern is absolutely beautiful. Also, quite a lot of the 'polys' - polystichum, polypodium will be fine in chalky soil. Most brackenish is matteucia struthiopteris - the shuttlecock fern. Best of all, although a ravenous deer will eat anything, ferns are the deerish equivalent to brussel sprouts.
This is so helpful, thank you. I read earlier that bracken can survive fire, it is hard as nails, not the kind of thing i want to be pitted against for years it would just win.

If we're recommending peat-free composts, I've been using Carbon Gold for a few years now, both seed and all purpose.

It's a mix of coconut coir, biochar, seaweed, mycorrihizal fungi, wormcasts and vegetable based nutrients, and it's easy to handle and gives good results.

After trying various seed trays, modules, and individual pots for sowing in, I'm a recent convert to professional grade multi cell propagation trays like these as recommended by Charles Dowding.

1621350386512.png

The trays come in a standard size, but with a range of different cell numbers/sizes depending on how big a plug you need.

They are the easiest to use of anything I've tried, especially when it comes to removing the seedling from the tray to plant out.

Unfortunately they are so popular that they seem to be out of stock of many sizes ATM, but well worth getting some when they do become available again.

I'm glad you appreciate that. The extraordinary effort and expense I went to in order to achieve the demand from my family for a trampoline, while not dominating the garden...
Quality. I would expect nothing less from you given your spectacular cocktail efforts of a decade plus ago. Well done.

If we're recommending peat-free composts, I've been using Carbon Gold for a few years now, both seed and all purpose.

It's a mix of coconut coir, biochar, seaweed, mycorrihizal fungi, wormcasts and vegetable based nutrients, and it's easy to handle and gives good results.

After trying various seed trays, modules, and individual pots for sowing in, I'm a recent convert to professional grade multi cell propagation trays like these as recommended by Charles Dowding.

View attachment 268984

The trays come in a standard size, but with a range of different cell numbers/sizes depending on how big a plug you need.

They are the easiest to use of anything I've tried, especially when it comes to removing the seedling from the tray to plant out.

Unfortunately they are so popular that they seem to be out of stock of many sizes ATM, but well worth getting some when they do become available again.
Yeah they have those at the veg farm AND the matching push plates you can use to dib holes in every cell or knock every seedling loose at the same time :cool: Sowing seeds any other way feels like torture now in comparison.

Yeah they have those at the veg farm AND the matching push plates you can use to dib holes in every cell or knock every seedling loose at the same time :cool: Sowing seeds any other way feels like torture now in comparison.
Not seen those, but TBH even my fat fingers can manage without

The wind blew hard enough today to dry the lawn off and give it a trim. All the patches seem to be filled.

The pond is teeming with water fleas. I expect something that likes to eat them to turn up soon. The tiny bit of pond weed that I scraped elsewhere is multiplying rapidly.
I was thinking of newts. I last saw one aged 11. We fished for them with a bit of string with a lobworm tied to it. I hope to see one again.

Like this, flat side's the perfect size for tamping & striking off and the sticky-out bits fit through the module tray's drainage holes to push the plugs out as well as dibbing holes for seeds. Quicker and less of a faff than fingering all your holes one by one :thumbs:
I don't really mind fingering all my holes one by one, TBH

I think I'm working on a smaller scale than you, so I often have two or three different things growing in the same tray, but it's easy to pop out the plugs I need, then stick the tray back in the greenhouse for another few days until the next lot is ready for planting.

Someone gave us these pots and I'd like to use them for something nicer looking than yet more veg but I can't decide what. Suggestions please? Might get a few cheap trailing or low growing bedding plants to stick in round the edges but ideally want something perennial.

IMG-20210519-071743.jpg

I've had to put the irrigation on, no rain for the last month and non forecast. Bloke down the road said to me possibly November. When I first saw this place I really was attracted to the lawn, its not like the grass in England though its this springy thick stuff that sort of matts together. Anyway I'm about the only person I know that has a lawn and I can see why, it needs irrigation and water is expensive here as its on a meter.

:eek:

I've got five water butts which is a bit excessive for Cornwall but the recent dry spell coincided with me putting loads of seeds out. We had a month(is) of no rain and virtually all of them were emptied.
I used to have loads of blue barrels at my allotment in the UK ( I got them from a pal who had a curry paste factory) , they were a godsend as the tap for the hose was a fair distance away from the plot. I thought of a barrel to collect the rain off the roof here but quickly discovered that any water in buckets etc attracted mosquitos

Back
Top Bottom