Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Recall whining a bit about tons of beech leaves forming a pyramid outside the garden that has been thirty years a growing.Encouraged by urbs insisting this was a potential vegetable gold-mine I have started to use it in the flower-beds instead of landscaping bark which obvs. costs.Have been pleasantly surprised by the overall effect :thumbs:

Greenhouse world is completely nuts at the moment, I had a good look in Feb, phoned around even, and nothing doing unless you are up for spending 10 grand or something.
Lead time on standard greenhouses in the uk is about 30 weeks. 30 weeks! Not even joking. I think its lockdown mainly, all these brand new upstart greedy gardeners, like me. :hmm:

i got this and i love it, it totally works but when it gets warm ventilation will be a problem.

eta when i say it works, the shelves need reinforcing / planking to be functional as shelves. Apart from that its fine.

Need to be very careful with those ones because they'll blow away.

If I were to get one I'd look at concreting or weighing down base somehow.

(In completely disregarding the above I've built a cold frame and a mini green house out of pallette wood and pvc tarp... I did add underground struts to the bigger one to hold it down but it's been a year so those fuckers wil be rotten af)

Neighbour has one that is bolted down but the plastic windows have nearly all blown out. He's been ill and hasn't been able to get to it :( Once one panel goes the wind whips through and takes others out.

New allotment shed coming today. Delivery "between 9:00–18:00" is all I know so far. At least if I'm stuck up there for nine hours I might get round to re-edging the paths I suppose.

New allotment shed coming today. Delivery "between 9:00–18:00" is all I know so far. At least if I'm stuck up there for nine hours I might get round to re-edging the paths I suppose.
Have you put it up yet? :)
My partner bought one and I could not be fucked to put it up till she started talking about getting someone in to do it.

My beans of several types are coming out. I lurve their vivacity as they pop out, barely covered with compost.
I have now identified in my raised beds, neat rows of: Beetroot, leeks, carrots, spinach, French dwarf beans, some other beans, peas, and garlic.

I bought some proper seed potatoes the other day. The ones I had planted were just hairy spuds out of the vegetable tray. But the hairy spuds are coming up.

Going to thin some of the rows soon and pot up the spares.

The raised beds seem to drain and dry real quick. It’s a bit of a plumbing job to get a plumber water supply close for an irrigation system but it may need to be done.

The bindweed is coming out everywhere in the flower beds. I have got super concentrated glyphosate today to continue the campaign against it. It’s had a free reign for a few years so is endemic.

My beans of several types are coming out. I lurve their vivacity as they pop out, barely covered with compost.
I have now identified in my raised beds, neat rows of: Beetroot, leeks, carrots, spinach, French dwarf beans, some other beans, peas, and garlic.

I bought some proper seed potatoes the other day. The ones I had planted were just hairy spuds out of the vegetable tray. But the hairy spuds are coming up.

Going to thin some of the rows soon and pot up the spares.

The raised beds seem to drain and dry real quick. It’s a bit of a plumbing job to get a plumber water supply close for an irrigation system but it may need to be done.

The bindweed is coming out everywhere in the flower beds. I have got super concentrated glyphosate today to continue the campaign against it. It’s had a free reign for a few years so is endemic.

It has been too damned cold at night to plant even hardy spuds - but I did a shed load of bean seeds in pots yesterday , and am seriously running late really in overall planting and seeding. I have prepared some of the beds for later later planting. One
thing that has been useful is / was saving loads of fallen leaves in black bags which are now perfect for mulching and digging in. We really need some rain though.

None here, must be three weeks no :( down to my last water butt plus emergency rusted oil drum. Been too dry for quite a few seeds I've put in. The BBC promised some for tomorrow - I may sue if it doesn't arrive :mad:

Just check how much you paid for this last year, although depends how much water you use.

Mind you, if you've got a septic tank then you shouldn't be paying sewerage charge anyway.

I have a septic tank too! maybe i should think about water meters. Brain freezes over when looking at utilities though.
Consider it especially if you are in a water stressed area. The formula is that metered customers get charged for what they use and non metered pay the average for the residual usage. That means you are potentially risking cross-subsidising the mad heavy users.

Consider it especially if you are in a water stressed area. The formula is that metered customers get charged for what they use and non metered pay the average for the residual usage. That means you are potentially risking cross-subsidising the mad heavy users.
for example users with a couple of kids

Rained tonight in Oxford - am a happy man.

Anyone else noted benefits from this cold dry spell? Our roses have no chocolate spot at all, which is unprecedented for this time of year...

Back
Top Bottom