Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

What do people think about those long handled spade come shovels that are popular in the US? You see them in the movies digging graves and Lidl have them in stock. Five foot shaft. Spade edge with shovel curves.
Pic? :hmm:

Looks a bit like a shovel for building Cornish Hedges, where the angle of the blade to the handle is correct for getting the batter right. Or perhaps for cutting peat?

Its good that the compost is late if you haven't built the beds yet, isn't it? :hmm:
The compost will come tomorrow. The wood comes this afternoon. I am on my way to buy screws and new drill bits and screwdriver bits.
Im excited as this has been in my minds eye for ages. My partner looks happy seeing the over growth getting tamed bit by bit. It’s been a big lot of work this far.

:thumbs:
IMG-20210317-180537.jpg

Are you planting sheep? :hmm:
Well apparently plant-based meat is a thing now so I thought I'd try growing lamb chop trees...

(Using it as mulch against weed seeds and frost and gonna sow some lettuce with & without to test its supposed slug repellent properties. It's from crutching - shaving the sheep's bums before lambing - so lots of pooey bits as bonus fertiliser too)

Well apparently plant-based meat is a thing now so I thought I'd try growing lamb chop trees...

(Using it as mulch against weed seeds and frost and gonna sow some lettuce with & without to test its supposed slug repellent properties. It's from crutching - shaving the sheep's bums before lambing - so lots of pooey bits as bonus fertiliser too)
How much per tonne? I think though the cats might go wild for rolling in it.

My back aches. I got most of the raised beds made this afternoon but had underestimated how heavy they would be. They are not fully assembled yet. I’m hoping for a bright and dry dawn tomorrow and for myself to be full of beans.

Daglocks! (I love that word)

How much per tonne? I think though the cats might go wild for rolling in it.
Probably not much with the current state of wool prices! A tonne would be a LOT of wool though :D

I sometimes help out on the farm so they let me turn up and help myself for free but I'll bring them some fruit or veg later in the year to say thanks. Tempted to ask how much they'd want for the whole massive bag they have in the barn so I could try to make wool & bracken compost like the Dalefoot stuff you can buy.

i'm making a rock garden, am lucky enough to have loads of really beautiful mossy old rocks lying around the place, some quite` big ones, its just a matter of dragging them onto the south-west slope piling them up with flat bits to use as stepping stones whilst keeping all my toes in tact. Will plant things in the crevices, like alpines and creepers and (extra excited about) convolvulus cneorum.

i'm making a rock garden, am lucky enough to have loads of really beautiful mossy old rocks lying around the place, some quite` big ones, its just a matter of dragging them onto the south-west slope piling them up with flat bits to use as stepping stones whilst keeping all my toes in tact. Will plant things in the crevices, like alpines and creepers and (extra excited about) convolvulus cneorum.
I need to know more about this. One border is all rocks.

i have no idea what i'm doing! But will post pics. The rocks are beautiful (to me) and i've had a go at researching plants that would be happy growing amongst them there on the google.

Very popular (were rock gardens) , in the 1930's , so I read somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom