Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I’m fucking exhausted too TopCat, from the heavy physical work today, think bits will hurt tomorrow too, but it’s a good kind of tired I think.
A good kind of tired makes sense. I have not injured anything. I am just so skinny cos cancer that I don’t have the muscle strength to do hard work day after day. But each lot of effort makes me stronger.

Got to plant up all the tubs tomorrow. The compost is quite hard packed and has to be trowled into a bucket then into the barrow.

My mate just suggested using a fork to aerate it. It’s a measure of how tired I am that I did not think of this.

i've got a dilemma - plant that i don't want but don't want to actually kill either. It was here before me, in a very big wooden pot. I've looked it up and think its a 'cordyline red star'. Its well over a meter tall & wide and spikey and red and I just really don't like it. I know some people, and supermarket car parks etc, do like them. What can i do maybe list it on gumtree free to collect?

i've got a dilemma - plant that i don't want but don't want to actually kill either. It was here before me, in a very big wooden pot. I've looked it up and think its a 'cordyline red star'. Its well over a meter tall & wide and spikey and red and I just really don't like it. I know some people, and supermarket car parks etc, do like them. What can i do maybe list it on gumtree free to collect?
Sell it?

Well apparently plant-based meat is a thing now so I thought I'd try growing lamb chop trees...

(Using it as mulch against weed seeds and frost and gonna sow some lettuce with & without to test its supposed slug repellent properties. It's from crutching - shaving the sheep's bums before lambing - so lots of pooey bits as bonus fertiliser too)

Interesting...

Are you going to cover it back up with a tarp for now, or just leave it open? I would have thought there's a danger of the wool blowing away.

I wonder how long it will take for the wool to decompose on the bed. I generally compost all my materials before spreading them as mulch, and I found that hair collected from my barber took a long time to break down, even in my compost heap..

Cobaens scandens - aka Cathedral bells. It's been ages since I grew this (massive) climber. Have you got the white or the purple, bimble? You will need a generous space for this as, I kid you not, it will grow to easily 6m...in all directions. It is also a short-day plant like dahlias, ipomea and chrysanthemums, so will not start into flower until quite late in the year - late August/September...but will then flower until cut down by frosts. I might start a couple of seeds myself (for the rectory I work on)
I very much like these fast annual climbers - especially to cover unsightly chainlink or tatty fencing. I grow/have grown mina lobata, eccremocarpus scaber, thunbergia alata (growing a few of these this year), ipomea quamoclit, something called lab-lab, along with the usual sweetpeas and climbing nasturtium. They have a teeny, tiny footprint in the ground (so can be poked in any little gap between floor and fence) but will cheerfully cover vast areas. At the end of the year, you can yank and rip with both hands in an orgy of destruction (which I much enjoy). Unlike wisteria, campsis, briar roses, jasmine, these seed raised climbers are generally mannerly and stay within bounds...and when we are tired of them, out they come leaving a space for next years experiment. Win/win, to my mind. Enjoy your cobaens, bimble.
O yeah, last year, to the smirking amusement of my fam, I also grew something called a butterfly vine - clitoria ternatea. Their latinate name was very clear indeed, considering the architecture of the blooms.

I am trialing a sort of wisteria substitute in my small garden. Even the smaller Japanese wisteria is too much on my remaining bits of wall (and the rampant Chinese variety belonging to my neighbour gets very short shrift indeed when it attempts to encroach into mine). However, those drooping pea flowers and pinnate leaves are found in the much better behaved indigoferas. I have I.amblyantha and I heterophylla on the go - will see which has the most graceful, floriferous growth.

Sweet peas. These are hardy and can be outside all winter. The only reason we protect them is to keep mice away. Mine are still in pots and modules, but they are on the garden coping rather than using precious greenhouse space. I don't always bother with nipping them out. Depends on how you want to grow them. If you are an exhibitor...or want many long straight stems for the house, they are grown as single cordons, rtemovingall the tendrils and tying the main (only) stem (haulm) to a stake. I can't be bothered with this as I always fail to stay on top of deadheading. I let mine ramble away on a sort of peastick wigwam, keeping their tendrils and running amok through nearby roses. They are rubbish for picking though, as the stems get twisted and deformed by the clasping tendrils. What are you wanting with yours. It is true that the flowers are much better if you can remove tendrils and keep the growth to a single main stem...and for years, this was what I always did, nipping off the first shoot as it emerged from the soil and letting one or 2 at most strong sideshoots develop, which I then tied into bamboo canes or grew on a pea harp. Because I am slack, I only get a 6 week flowering cycle before my sweetpeas run to seed...but what do I care - there is a shit ton of other stuff coming along.
So yeah, it depends how you want to grow them and how important picking for the vase or for gifties is to you.

Good to see you out and about TopCat. It isn't a race - take care of yourself and don't rush to do everything at once. Build up your strength just being outside amongst the leaves, scents, textures,

iona , could you see yourself doing this for a career? Are you doing the RHS gen.ed. certificate? It was the entry point for me...and something I would recommend for anyone with an interest in plants. There is no doubt you are infected for life now, with horticultural mania.(we are so lucky).

sounds of a busy garden (always works for me).

Last edited:
What a magic plant I had no idea they need so little ground space to do all that.
campanula i have the purple one, have spare seed if you would like?
(Only used 5 there’s more in the packet). Even their seeds are nice, chunky disks.

Freecycle. People list big plants that need rehoming for whatever reason on there all the time.

Interesting...

Are you going to cover it back up with a tarp for now, or just leave it open? I would have thought there's a danger of the wool blowing away.

I wonder how long it will take for the wool to decompose on the bed. I generally compost all my materials before spreading them as mulch, and I found that hair collected from my barber took a long time to break down, even in my compost heap..
I've pulled the membrane back over for now but it'll need to go soon so stuff can grow. Hopeful the wool will soak up some rain and stick to the ground. One place I've put it will be growing potatoes so I could just earth up on top of it, the rest I'll try to weight down into place for a bit longer somehow - got a couple of those little mesh tunnels that would probably keep the wind off enough - till either the wool's settled into the soil a bit or it's warm enough to just lift the wool.

I want to move my compost bin. Do yous reckon I need to buy a wheelbarrow?
How far do you want to move it?

Well I figured I'd have to empty it, and then move it (about 8 metres) and then move everything that was in it and put it back in, which is when I would need the wheelbarrow?

It's about the size of, idk, big

Well I figured I'd have to empty it, and then move it (about 8 metres) and then move everything that was in it and put it back in, which is when I would need the wheelbarrow?

It's about the size of, idk, big
It's good to turn the contents of your compost bin every now and again to mix it all up and get some more air in it.

How easy it is to do this depends on what sort of bin it is, and how full it is.

Is it possible to move the bin without moving the contents and then refill it afterwards?

I got help today to move the raised beds into position. All the post holes are too short. So lift the frames out again. Dig. Offer the frames up. Still too shallow. Dig more. Get the spirit level out. Get confused. Give up for the day. Fresh eyes will help tomorrow.

I planted potatoes in thing I bought in Lidl. Three layers of spuds in a tower type thing.
Also dug the beds that have been exposed by chainsawing the Hebe hedge back.
Partner planted all the bulbs I bought recently. I sowed flower seeds Willy nilly apparently and got took off that.
It’s all coming together. Not as quick as I would like for sure but it’s early doors yet.

I aim to get those damn beds level tomorrow.

Fill them up.

Got some lawn to strip to add a meadow flower buffer. Get the azeda busy then stick the sods upside down at the bottom of the beds.

Fixed up and sorted out the fruit cage. Pretty make shift but should last the season.
IMG_20210320_154633457_HDR.jpg
The rhubarb I divided and planted afresh has taken off nicely
IMG_20210320_154658027.jpg
Onions garlic and beans overwintered well.
IMG_20210320_154757826.jpg
Need to come down with some slug pellets. The other beds are ready to go when things warm up. Got the mange tout peas in. Covered a bed with my one sheet of thick black plastic - warm up the ground for the carrot seeds.

Will do the spuds next time. Got kestrel again as the early. Always reliable. Also got setanta as the main. They aren't the greatest but they were the best I could find in 3 garden centres.

Carrying on with renewing the front fence.

Had a change of plan, we were going to put the planks all on the one side, but have now decided to go back to the design of the previous version - ie planks on both sides ...

Last edited:
I spent the day finishing stuff and tidying up and cleaning in the garden. It’s gone from building site to pretty. I finished the raised beds and put another plank layer on each bringing them up a bit.

I could then finally haunch up the sides of the beds and scrape and pressure wash the paths.

I moved the cold frame and the compost bin into the vegetables area.

Planted some spuds. Also weeded and removed ivy off the street tree outside. Dug over the soil and added compost and summer flower seedlings and some climbing flower seeds.

It’s all looking quite nice now.

I still need a fuck ton of compost. Might get a tipper truck load.

The yellow ones are native, the pink and red and ... others are hybrids - still lovely though I've got loads of them too :) I thought one was primula and the other primrose but I'm not sure that's true - campanula might enlighten us :)

As nouns the difference between primula and primrose
is that primula is (botany) any plant of the genus primula ; the primroses while primrose is an early-flowering plant of the genus primula , with white, red, or yellow flowers.

Back
Top Bottom