Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I’m thinking of a trip to b and q. They probably have fuck all veg plants but I need hose connectors and a cable reel.

I’m thinking of a trip to b and q. They probably have fuck all veg plants but I need hose connectors and a cable reel.

I've had many plant bargains from B&Q, mainly because they don't look after their plants properly so they end up selling them off cheap as they look so rough.
Most of the time it's just lack of watering and they bounce back pretty quickly.
Make sure you check out the reduced section!

Lots of inexpensive gardening stuff in asda. Hose connectors and grass seed plus lots of vegetable seeds. Absolutely fuck all in b and q. Not even crappy herbs in dried out pots. No veg at all.

Got a 50 metre cable reel. I can now reach all the garden with the pressure washer.

The glyphosate I sprayed a month ago has done a good job. All the weeds and grass in the back banks are dead.

I am finding more brick lined beds under the crap. Got a multi layer of rubble and carpet and weeds to deal with. Slash the carpet and rip at it. I want to clear it more and see what’s underneath.

Patch repair on the grass later. There is gentle rain right now which is perfect. I have retreated indoors to put beef brisket shallots and wine in a pot. Slurp.

And there you have it, bimble. So much more than simply liking plants. At least for some of us (most of us), gardening is much more profound than aesthetics. I had no clue, when I planted the pink behemoth which devoured my garden (lavatera) that my whole life was already on the about-turn. Never looked back.
Anyway, that ipomea shoot will be different to the true seed leaves. The first leaves (cotyledons) are energy stores for the little seedling, before root nutrition and photosynthesis can enable the plant to grow away...and are always anomalous (and sometimes surrisingly enormo). I grew moonflower years ago. It is a very, very late bloomer, often only coming into flower in late September/October. Same with the cobaens. These are vigorous(huge) plants so choose the planting position which has the best frost protection...and will be sturdy enough to support 6m of growth (in various directions) - cover a shed in a week kind of thing. I know I amboring on, but do think about doing a course at Capel Manor...the 1 year part-time RHS general certificate was more important and influential than years spent doing my degree and MSW.It made me deal with stuff I would have avoided (such as groundskeeping)...which was actrually fascinating.
I kept the blackcurrants and strawbs, iona, and after increasingly nowty emails, I finally got offered a refund for the apricot - which I now think had been dug out of the fields weeks, if not months ago, and left languishing in storage. Dreadfully packed, too...a bit of a fail all round...even after volunteering to wait another year.

I had no clue, when I planted the pink behemoth which devoured my garden (lavatera) that my whole life was already on the about-turn. Never looked back.
Jealous :( . I love mallow. I did well with some annuals last year and am hoping the seeds will take. I love the huge perennial mallows though they're lovely. I've had several goes at growing them with no success, I've put two in in autumn and they've survived so I'm hopeful :thumbs:

This is supposed to be the year my experimental meadow does it's thing. I started on it 3 years ago, but I spent a spring and summer just creating a clean seed bed (which was nightmarish, on an allotment). I sowed a wildflower and native grass mix (calcareous)I in the autumn. After winter stratifying, the perennials germinated...but I did cheat a bit by adding a few cheerful annuals (like corncockles, coreopsis, cornflowers). I also added some plantlets I had grown in the greenhouse, so year 2 had cowslips, primroses, sweet woodruff, colonising the edges near the paths. The weeding was...intense. This year should see the majority of perennials reaching flowering age ) meadow rue, sanguisorba,eryngiums, pinks, gentian, centaury...O, loads of things. I am practically delerious with a mad mix of excitement and anxiety. Soil coverage is complete so, in theory, it should be more or less self-sustaining (although I need to sow yellow rattle this year). One cut after flowering,then a couple of cuts over winter...but this remains to be seen.
I have to learn to do photos and upload them on my phone (as both camera and PC have carked) because the plot looks truly lovely but moments for boasting are few and far between.

Me too, two sheds.The tree mallows were always cited as the ideal seaside plant...and yep,it was while living in Brighton that I saw them everywhere. I had a massive mallow craze...which has somewhat persisted. I grow/have grown a lot -from the various abutilons and anisodonteas, through to sphaeralceas...including tender malvaviscus, hibiscus and so on. I have a little clump of the pure white muskmallow (malva moschata) in the meadow and Hollyhocks were one of my gateway plants. I find I get crazes on a certain genus and whomp! straight down the rabbithole.
They can be tricksy to germinate. Have never managed to get callirhoe to germinate (I have grieved for my lost plant and have tried to grow seed for over a decade)...and the malva moschata took ages to get going.I think they have very specific requirements...primarily almost perfect drainage (which I have cos my soil is sand on chalk!).
I don't care for the hardy hibiscus syriacus though. I have Bluebird, which has lovely blooms., which last a day, then die really badly.

@iona , could you see yourself doing this for a career? Are you doing the RHS gen.ed. certificate? It was the entry point for me...and something I would recommend for anyone with an interest in plants. There is no doubt you are infected for life now, with horticultural mania.(we are so lucky).
Sorry, just remembered I was going to reply to this but I think I was at work or something at the time.

Definitely :) At the moment I'm doing a bit of general garden maintenance work, just the hours/pay I'm allowed under ESA "permitted work". Doing other volunteering at a community allotment and also a small "community supported agriculture" farm set up through the ELC - think this is the kind of thing I'd like to end up doing. I'm waiting to hear back about volunteering up at the new One Garden thing they're doing up at Stanmer, ideally either in the plant nursery or kitchen garden / top fruit, and got my eye on a couple of other places to make enquiries. There's a one year nursery traineeship at Great Dixter I'd love to do.

Also kind of thinking about trying to get a little thing set up of selling veg plants for people to grow on. Keep putting off the email I need to send about that because anything even vaguely official or paperworky terrifies me :rolleyes: Another gardener I know might have some work for me later in the year but it would mean registering as self-employed and potentially affect my ESA if I went over permitted hours and aaaargh...

I'm doing the RHS level 2 certificate which might be the same thing under a new name?

I've got a patch of damson trees at the bottom of the garden so not a lot of light. I put some woodland flower seeds in yesterday. Have never really been successful broadcasting seeds straight into the ground but this year the weeds have been cleared and I raked off a half inch of soil, broadcast the seeds with a good bit of watering and raked the soil back again. We shall see :)

i still need to turn the compost. and move my mum's fig tree. and i've not potted anything but i have taken tiny meaningful snips at some of my little trees :D

I was only thinking a couple of days ago that I could do with more flowers in a strip of ground along the front of the house. With amazing foresight a couple of weeks ago I moved loads of primroses into a raised bed temporarily, and discovered them again yesterday. Just moved them out front :)

Barrowed through two and a half bags before it started pissing down. I still don’t have enough to fill the fucking beds. These vegetables will cost more than gold.

The only tarpaulin has been cunningly used to make break your back (and spirit) layers in rubble and earth at the back. Rain is slowing now.

Barrowed through two and a half bags before it started pissing down. I still don’t have enough to fill the fucking beds. These vegetables will cost more than gold.
Do you need to actually fill the beds right to the top? Even six inches of compost or top soil is enough for most vegetables to grow in, especially if they can root into the existing garden soil underneath.

You can always top them up with more compost next year.

It’s raining. I have my slippers on now. I get the point though.
I learnt from bitter experience just how much extra rain-sodden soil weighs. :( You have the advantage of a wheelbarrow which mitigates the problem. I had to carry mine in builders' buckets up several flights of steps * to get the soil where I needed it.

* A significant problem with a garden on a slope divided into multiple terraces!

I learnt from bitter experience just how much extra rain-sodden soil weighs. :( You have the advantage of a wheelbarrow which mitigates the problem. I had to carry mine in builders' buckets up several flights of steps * to get the soil where I needed it.

* A significant problem with a garden on a slope divided into multiple terraces!
I’m going to put a waterproof on and get back to it. In a minute.

Back
Top Bottom