Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Got a decision to make about my shed. Either need to replace the lower rotten panels or replace the whole thing.

Has anyone successfully repaired a shed?

Heavy metal shed :thumbs:

I'd have thought you could repair shed if the supports aren't rotten, and even if they are you could probably bolt wooden bits onto them at the bottom.

Heavy metal shed :thumbs:

I'd have thought you could repair shed if the supports aren't rotten, and even if they are you could probably bolt wooden bits onto them at the bottom.
I was going to repair the shed that was in my garden when I moved in. But when I looked more closely at it there was more rotten wood than good. All the uprights were rotten and most of the floor. In the end I gave it a decent Viking send off minus the floating on water bit.

I have a metal shed too which I moved to the old wooden shed's location after its demise. I have a heat pad and grow lamp in it to germinate seeds and I had this great plan a couple of weeks ago to control these via wifi. The only problem is, it's a metal shed and the wifi signal won't penetrate it! :facepalm:

Antenna outside the shed? Or use the shed as an antenna?

I've been really lucky - wooden shed been standing for 20 years since I've been here, now has nice corrugated steel roof and still seems good condition although I must wood treat it again this summer.

Just spent ages thinning out sweet peas into a little pot each and then googled afterwards and it said don’t do that :facepalm:.
Most of them are going to have to go out now in the mini greenhouse, i have no more window sill and it might help them be strong ?

Last edited:
Just spent ages thinning out sweet peas into a little pot each and then googled afterwards and it said don’t do that :facepalm:.
Most of them are going to have to go out now in the mini greenhouse, i have no more window sill and it might help them be strong ?
They don't like having their roots disturbed iirc. I might keep them indoors another day or two if you can after that, to keep them from the double shock of thinning out + colder temps all at once. Generally though being out in the cold (within reason) will encourage them to develop better root systems rather than loads of soft leafy growth like they will indoors in the warm.

It was such a lovely sunny day today. I was out in the garden wondering what to do this morning. Hoed some beds then it was all go, the sun shining bright.

Mowed and strimmed the lawn. First cut of the year. Looked a bit lumpy but ok for now.

Moved the gazebo and turned an old picnic bench into a pile of timber that may get made into a planter.

I bought a new picnic bench, much bigger and more sturdy than your average one. That’s under the gazebo now and has provided an outdoor workshop space.

I have been slowly but surely trying to reveal the original Victorian paths, steps and brick flowerbeds. Years of moss and green sludge has been beaten back with a reconditioned Karcher pressure washer and a Lidl yard broom.

There are Hebee plants (sp?) that had got too big with gnarled stems intertwined and which stretched a third of the garden and pushed right out over the path, breaking the flowerbed brick edge work.

My good pal succeeded in cutting one back with a small saw a while back. It looked like really hard work though. I thought “sod that”.

So I bought a chainsaw a week or so ago thinking of heavy hedge trimming. Today I got it out. It had been a decade since I used a chainsaw. Less than a hundred quid this was. The quality is really good compared to the cheap ones I used in the past.

So safety kit on and off we go. It was really effective. I trimmed and shaped and chopped the waste. Great fun.
The clearing up has been done and it is all good. :)

I have been slowly but surely trying to reveal the original Victorian paths, steps and brick flowerbeds. Years of moss and green sludge has been beaten back with a reconditioned Karcher pressure washer and a Lidl yard broom.

When I finally cleared the top two terraces of my then new garden of brambles and nettles I got work digging them over only to find that about 10cm to 15cm down it was paved. The garden had been neglected for so long that the leaf litter had built up over the years and composted itself and formed a deep layer of soil that all the brambles and nettles were growing in OVER the paving slabs!

When I finally cleared the top two terraces of my then new garden of brambles and nettles I got work digging them over only to find that about 10cm to 15cm down it was paved. The garden had been neglected for so long that the leaf litter had built up over the years and composted itself and formed a deep layer of soil that all the brambles and nettles were growing in OVER the paving slabs!

It's remarkable how little plants need, I've got stuff growing in top of the allotment tarp and the other day I found a seed sprouting in the mini greenhouse after it got put in the windowsill, no soil but it was giving it a solid go.

Hebee plants (sp?)
Hebe :)
My garden is like this atm.

Allotment shed base mostly done today, just need to properly level it out with a bit more sand and stick the gravel grids on top. Need to crack on with clearing the garden now and set up a planning meeting with housing association staff about the garden group I'm somehow going to be running once lockdown rules allow.

That’s what I had.

It’s getting windy! Might have to sit inside the tiny greenhouse for two days, just to make sure it doesn’t blow away with all my babies in it.
I re pegged the gazebo down yesterday. Big April winds on their way.
I can hardly use my arms after wielding the chainsaw yesterday.
Sill loads to do. My aim is to have it all planted and neat before family come post COVID and have a bite to eat.

you know how all the tiny sproutings look much the same before they get their true leaves, is it the same as how all embryos of whatever animal are basically a tadpole to start with?
embryo-compare.jpg

you know how all the tiny sproutings look much the same before they get their true leaves, is it the same as how all embryos of whatever animal are basically a tadpole to start with?
View attachment 258079
Sort of, yeah. Some seeds have one cotyledon (seed leaf) - "monocots" - and some have two - "dicots". Got a vague feeling conifers might be slightly different though I could be wrong and I'm sure there's a few other oddities.

There's some cool pictures of the insides of seeds pre & during germination in a textbook I can post when I'm home in a bit.

Sort of, yeah. Some seeds have one cotyledon (seed leaf) - "monocots" - and some have two - "dicots". Got a vague feeling conifers might be slightly different though I could be wrong and I'm sure there's a few other oddities.

There's some cool pictures of the insides of seeds pre & during germination in a textbook I can post when I'm home in a bit.
Don’t mention ferns.

Spores! Yeah I looked them up the other day.
Also ‘where do bulbs even come from’ :D
Magic. No amount of science can convince me it isn't magic.

Can't find the really cool seed pics so I think I must've seen them somewhere else but here's the inside of a little bean seed tadpole before it germinates
1615365860980580247187089540837.jpg

I got a lot done yesterday. Stripped very established ivy off the apple tree. Raked over the exposed beds where I recently chainsawed the Hebe’s back.

Went to Lidl for gardening tat. Sowed six seed trays with stuff. Soaked some bare stock fruit bushes in water. Will plant these shortly.

Going to take a big strip of turf off right across the lawn. Will then sow a bucket of meadow flower seeds.

Scaffold board delivery did not show up for the second time. Got to find someone else.

My back hurts and I feel I may have over reached.

I got fucked about by the scaffold boards guy. Two missed delivery attempts is enough.

I decided to buy pressure treated gravel boards and pressure treated fence post to make the walls and junctions of my raised beds.

All good. They are from a local (Brockley) firm and will come next week.

My pal looked at my design and rightly pointed out the beds would be too wide even for my extra long arms to weed and plant.

So I’m looking at thinner beds. Now am wondering whether to have three going widthways across the garden each slightly terraced or square boxes or something else. I can’t decide.

The compost kept getting cancelled and the latest bloke has a two for one offer. So two massive bulk bags to empty then barrow through straight into the waiting raised beds that have not been designed yet let alone built.
I wish my back did not ache!

Back
Top Bottom