Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I delayed the delivery of the tonne of compost. Got to build the vegetable raised beds first and glyphosate the vegetation. Need scaffold boards. Any ideas for a supplier? I want legit.
I have also bought a chainsaw. Not sure why.

Made a proper start on tidying up the garden this afternoon. I'd have a big binbag full of lovely decomposed leafmould if I hadn't had to chuck it all out thanks to whatever cunt keeps throwing glass and other shit out their window :mad:

(I hate waste and I'll happily spend hours rummaging about in compost heaps usually but there's been used needles and dirty underwear and all sorts chucked in that garden)
Nail a sharps box to their door or maybe their heads.

I can understand (almost) people being thoughtless and just tossing paper/plastic wrappers aside as they walk/cycle/drive down a road. A couple of idiots however must have gone to a heathered area in the valley at the back of me and sat there breaking bottles. There's glass all over the place :mad: people walk their dogs there too.

Anyone here use Japeto tools?

I got MrsB a set of these beauties for Christmas, and she is very positive about the quality and efficiency:

Nail a sharps box to their door or maybe their heads.
Would if I knew who it was! Housing association are aware but can only keep sending out "don't be a dick" letters, short of sticking up cctv cameras in front of everyone's windows. The sharps thing especially annoys me as an IV drug user, it's proper cunt behaviour and a big cause of dirty junkies etc stigma. When I ran an unofficial needle exchange from a squat I used to make people go and bag up their used works before I'd give them new ones, even when they were rattling :oops:

two sheds same here, two people downstairs have mobility issues and really rely on the garden to let their dogs out and a guy I know who works at a golf course that gets lots of dog walkers was telling me today someone's broken a load of bottles then embedded them in the ground broken side up :mad:

Hello - probably a really stupid question but forgive me - I planted 3 really lovely winter window boxes with things like thyme/ivy, some nice little plant with red/yellow berries and cyclamen. I also put in some spring bulbs which are flowering now. They look amazing.

So what do I do with these window boxes over summer? I'd like to plant summer window boxes but can I just buy 3 more window boxes and plant those and put the winter ones in the shade somewhere for next winter - or something else?

I got MrsB a set of these beauties for Christmas, and she is very positive about the quality and efficiency:

: phwoar :

Yeah you need to delete that post so I don't accidentally more secateurs

Hello - probably a really stupid question but forgive me - I planted 3 really lovely winter window boxes with things like thyme/ivy, some nice little plant with red/yellow berries and cyclamen. I also put in some spring bulbs which are flowering now. They look amazing.

So what do I do with these window boxes over summer? I'd like to plant summer window boxes but can I just buy 3 more window boxes and plant those and put the winter ones in the shade somewhere for next winter - or something else?
You could but I'd probably just plant other stuff on top of the bulbs once they've died back.

You could but I'd probably just plant other stuff on top of the bulbs once they've died back.

oh that would be really handy - so the other things - the thyme and ivy will be ok? It will be very crowded though - I guess I could try and squeeze something in on top of the bulbs - it would certainly make things cheaper/easier.

If you've got space to store them over the summer, then it would make total sense to have 2 sets of window boxes.
I do similar with pots by the front/back doors.

oh that would be really handy - so the other things - the thyme and ivy will be ok? It will be very crowded though - I guess I could try and squeeze something in on top of the bulbs - it would certainly make things cheaper/easier.
Yeah just plant in the gaps between them (assuming there are/will be gaps between since you don't want to leave them as they are..?)

can anyone give me something like a definitive answer to - ranunculus bulbs, what temperature do they like to be at in order to start doing stuff (germinating?)

Got concentrated glyphosate and sprayed all the weeds and brambles. Don’t like using it but Japanese knotweed has been discovered.

I've bought some snowdrops in the green (not right time of year I know, but will hopefully be good for next year). I've planted them in largish pots with compost - not sure if that's the right thing to do but I'm again hoping they will establish a bit so I can put them in where they'll live.

I has a funny little plastic greenhouse / coldframe, that came in 700 confusing pieces off ebay but it works, looks like a tiny plastic house, have put next to the fence so it might not blow away.
Is there any sort of simple rule as to when seedlings are big enough to be transferred into there -or is is different for each plant, and some will need to be brought indoors for the nights longer than others etc?

I has a funny little plastic greenhouse / coldframe, that came in 700 confusing pieces off ebay but it works, looks like a tiny plastic house, have put next to the fence so it might not blow away.
Is there any sort of simple rule as to when seedlings are big enough to be transferred into there -or is is different for each plant, and some will need to be brought indoors for the nights longer than others etc?
I have a mini greenhouse. I think the first thing to consider is how cold it gets in there - get a max/min thermometer.

I tend to use mine to over-winter slightly tender plants (like my cannas) and then as the weather warms up use it to grow on seedlings and then finally over the summer I grow cucumbers and tomatoes in it.

At this time of year I don't start off my seeds in there - I have a grow light and heat pad in the shed for that. You could do this on a windowsill instead if you don't mind having seed trays or pots inside.

It comes down to what sort of seeds you're growing. Some need warmer temperatures to germinate but can cope with a little cooler temperatures when they have. Have a look at what the packets say and then factor in the temperature range in your mini-greenhouse.

You still might need to bring them inside if it's going to be particularly cold.

I got MrsB a set of these beauties for Christmas, and she is very positive about the quality and efficiency:[/URL]

Not Japeto, but we use the very Niwaki tools, which are similar, for domestic use at home. My OH, a professional gardener, has a variety for work use too.

The hori hori knife is a gamechanger, and the various secateurs are great. Definitely worth the money. We want one of the tripod ladders but it won't fit in the car :rolleyes:

Not Japeto, but we use the very Niwaki tools, which are similar, for domestic use at home. My OH, a professional gardener, has a variety for work use too.

The hori hori knife is a gamechanger, and the various secateurs are great. Definitely worth the money. We want one of the tripod ladders but it won't fit in the car :rolleyes:

Hand Forged Damascus Hori Hori

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I know there are much cheaper versions

Back
Top Bottom