Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Any rose experts? When I moved here, I found a few roses that had been cut back to ground level so I've trued to let them grow back but what I've got now is a lot of little very thin branches around the base and one long stem in the middle that has got lost of buds but no branching. Any advice what I can do to help the recovery
?

Back up the permaculture trust plot after three weeks away and suddenly green things are springing to life :)

Just had a note sent round where I live asking for ideas for activities, so I'm going to try and get a gardening group set up. Was talk of one last year but nothing ever happened. Hopefully by volunteering to help run it I can have some say in when it is too - other stuff always seems to be on a Friday, when I'm working.

experts? When I moved here, I found a few roses that had been cut back to ground level so I've trued to let them grow back but what I've got now is a lot of little very thin branches around the base and one long stem in the middle that has got lost of buds but no branching. Any advice what I can do to help the recovery
?
You can keep an eye on the growth of both sets of branches. You may not know that nearly all the roses in this country are grafted onto a vigorous wild rose (r.canina var.laxa) which can, in some cases, eventually overtake the scion (the grafted rose. I don't think this is happening here and, in fact, this sort of growth pattern (of a large thick basal cane with little laterals) is entirely normal and what you would expect from a rose which had been cut back hard. When the leaves appear, look to see if the thick cane has 5 or 7 leaflets. Check if there is any difference between the leaves on the thin canes. It might be that the large cane is actually a sucker coming off the rootstock (although I doubt it). Also, cut the long cane back by a third sometime in March. If you run your fingers down the cane, you will feel little bud growths under the outer bark - try to cut just above one of these buds. Then wait. Once the sap starts rising and the rose emerges from dormancy, you should see the formation of branching canes (laterals). Until then, don't worry - your rose is almost certainly absolutely fine - just needs some time and maybe a little balanced fertiliser in April.
Do you know what rose it is? Or whether it is a climber/rambler. Single flowering or repeat flowers?
It is often claimed that roses are tricky garden divas...but this is rubbish - nearly all of them are robust shrubs with few demands apart from an occasional spray with copper if blackspot is rampant.

eta - you can also encourage more growth by training the cane into a more horizontal position - thjis is a kinder proposition than chopping canes and is especially useful to promote flowering all along the cane and not just at the ends.

<crosses fingers, cues up another pile of how-to vids>
One of the amazing things about bonsai work is the ability to keep the leaves in some sort of proportion to the rest of the plant. I find this astonishing because I am accustomed to doing the exact opposite - chopping back topgrowth to increase the leaf size (pawlonia, catalpa, cotinus, even dogwoods). It is quite astounding how differently the plants respond to either root trimming versus pruning the top growth. A pawlonia leaf - normally around 6inches or so across, can increase it's surface area to as much as 2feet across, just by cutting the top growth back to the ground, while dogwoods and smokebushes (cotinus) are regularly cut back to produce huge leaves (and brighter juvenile stem growth). I got the impression that dwarfing the leaf size is as essential as training the woody growth into gnarly mini-trees.

I am an inveterate meddler. Although bonsai has not appealed to me (because of the intense daily watering and care), I have had terrific fun with approach grafting (inosculation) and fruit tree training (trellis, espalier, stepovers and so on. Have you seen any of Aldo Lepold's trees, Bob. Or growing 'tree chairs' - ('pook trees')?

One of the amazing things about bonsai work is the ability to keep the leaves in some sort of proportion to the rest of the plant.
i think the thing is you can "fix" the leaves to some extent at the start with choice of cultivar, or right at the end of the process (like if you show trees and stuff) by strategic defoliation. i've been surprised at how well the ash leaves reduce by themselves without any "work" on my part.

everything i have atm is "in training" i.e. funky pots and wires and spare branches and just working on getting them vigorous/not dead yet :D

except the blackthorn which is properly enchanting me atm :cool: buds just on the cusp, but someone else has done all the hard work of getting the structure in place "just so". i'll try and get a pic if i can.

Although bonsai has not appealed to me (because of the intense daily watering ...
exactly where our side of the country has the edge ;)
although i have the bits for an irrigation system to put in this year, to leave on timer if necessary :thumbs: then a rainwater collection/diversion feed to that and i'm set :cool:

i've been surprised at how well the ash leaves reduce by themselves without any "work" on my part.
I grew a field maple (acer campestre) from seed and even now, in its 6th year (3rd in the ground), it is still only 15inches high with teeny little leaves which could be mistaken for a hawthorn, while the pines (lacebark and Scots) have also stayed very dwarf...so yep, I can see that some species and cultivars appear to be more sympathetic to the process. (avoids rabbit hole).

(avoids rabbit hole).
I won't even walk down the same side of the street as the bonsai shop in town for fear of getting sucked down that rabbit hole :facepalm::D

Couple of potting mix Qs - just any bag of (peat free) multipurpose compost from homebase etc is fine for veg, yeah? I'm used to fussy houseplants and really unfussy outdoors stuff that'll grow in anything. Also is there any reason I can't use bark chip sold for borders etc instead of the more expensive orchid mix? (Not for orchids but I use it in various mixes for all my houseplants.) Suspect it'll be the wrong kind of bark or not treated or something but I'd like to be wrong...

Oh and LOOK at this mad motherfucker :cool:
DSC-1146.jpg

Yes, any multi-purpose compost is fine for veg ime iona.
Not sure about the bark chip for orchids though...

I'm cleaning the greenhouse today. I've jet washed the outside and now I'm inside warming my hands up before I empty it out and do the inside.

Also is there any reason I can't use bark chip sold for borders etc instead of the more expensive orchid mix? (Not for orchids but I use it in various mixes for all my houseplants.) Suspect it'll be the wrong kind of bark or not treated or something but I'd like to be wrong...
Will ask my orchid fanatic D-i-L.

From now until early May, there will usually be newly germinated seeds to be sighed and cooed over...but this week, due to the collies irritating habit of carefully removing the labels from my pots, the last 3 lots of seedlings to appear are all totally unidentifiable. Plus, she has taken to pooing in the greenhouse.

Also is there any reason I can't use bark chip sold for borders etc instead of the more expensive orchid mix? (Not for orchids but I use it in various mixes for all my houseplants.) Suspect it'll be the wrong kind of bark or not treated or something but I'd like to be wrong...
Will ask my orchid fanatic D-i-L.

From now until early May, there will usually be newly germinated seeds to be sighed and cooed over...but this week, due to the collies irritating habit of carefully removing the labels from my pots, the last 3 lots of seedlings to appear are all totally unidentifiable. Plus, she has taken to pooing in the greenhouse.

Thanks BoatieBird campanula

Rhubarb is just coming in up at the community allotment now and still plenty enough kale for me to take a big bag full after "helping" put up some new guttering for the water butts earlier. (Power tools scare me coz I'm so cackhanded, would've taken half the time if I'd used a manual screwdriver or just not got involved :oops:) Daffodils and crocuses everywhere. Even had some sun either side of the wind and hail.

Also is there any reason I can't use bark chip sold for borders etc instead of the more expensive orchid mix?
I asked my D-I-L who told me that the sovereign rule for orchids is to have a free draining mix.. Although she does use orchid potting mix, she has also used chipped bark mixed with a little extra peat and perlite. I looked at the mix she left in my greenhouse. It looks very similar to basic bark chips mixed with coarse bulb compost. I do think that you can make use of what you have. Chop it a little bit finer and mix in a handful of moss from the lawn (I kid you not), a handful of perlite or horticultural grit and repot away. It seems that they also need a low fertility mix with the bark essentially acting as an anchor for the roots still in the soil (which determines the size of the bark chips). Obviously, those fat white arial roots are perfectly OK with a spritzing of distilled water (or at least, tapwater which has been left to stand for 24 hours so chlorine gases can sublime off). She did say to use those clear pots with drainage holes in the sides as light is essential for the roots and overwatering is the main cause of death. basically, you need to be able to pour water on the mix and watch it drain out almost as fast as you can water.
I spoke to someone from the HPS who also suggested those clay granules (hydroleca) are good in orchid growing mediums. Are you talking about phals here?...or cymnbidiums, dendrobiums etc.

Picked up a blueberry bush from poundland, already have one but it had a crap crop last year so hopefully get a few more from two (even if I suspect it’ll take years)

Tempted by one of the myriad rose bushes too but I’ll consult with wife first...

Thanks campanula I really appreciate you taking time out to reply. I really have no idea what kind of rose it is as I'm almost exclusively a veg gardener ( I also grow dahlias). If it's dry tomorrow, I'll have a proper look and take some photos if you wouldn't mind having a look?

I asked my D-I-L who told me that the sovereign rule for orchids is to have a free draining mix.. Although she does use orchid potting mix, she has also used chipped bark mixed with a little extra peat and perlite. I looked at the mix she left in my greenhouse. It looks very similar to basic bark chips mixed with coarse bulb compost. I do think that you can make use of what you have. Chop it a little bit finer and mix in a handful of moss from the lawn (I kid you not), a handful of perlite or horticultural grit and repot away. It seems that they also need a low fertility mix with the bark essentially acting as an anchor for the roots still in the soil (which determines the size of the bark chips). Obviously, those fat white arial roots are perfectly OK with a spritzing of distilled water (or at least, tapwater which has been left to stand for 24 hours so chlorine gases can sublime off). She did say to use those clear pots with drainage holes in the sides as light is essential for the roots and overwatering is the main cause of death. basically, you need to be able to pour water on the mix and watch it drain out almost as fast as you can water.
I spoke to someone from the HPS who also suggested those clay granules (hydroleca) are good in orchid growing mediums. Are you talking about phals here?...or cymnbidiums, dendrobiums etc.
It's not actually for orchids
Also is there any reason I can't use bark chip sold for borders etc instead of the more expensive orchid mix? (Not for orchids but I use it in various mixes for all my houseplants.)
Thanks for asking and all the info though :) Basically, run out of orchid mix and started eyeing up the big bags of bark chip sold for borders coz they're cheaper (I think, helpfully it's sold in kg while orchid mix is by litre so hard to compare..) and I'm tight :thumbs: The orchid mix I was using has clay granules in it too but I can manage without or replace those easily enough.

Been scouring local parks and people's log piles for a suitable chunk of wood to try growing epiphytic cacti on so idk why I'm worrying about this tbf

Picked up a blueberry bush from poundland, already have one but it had a crap crop last year so hopefully get a few more from two (even if I suspect it’ll take years)
The reason your crop was not so good was due to needing a pollination partner. Now you are putting in another bush, you will find you get much better fruit performance. True, they can take a few years to get to a decent stage of cropping so you may want to source a bush which is already 2-3 years old to boost pollination (and fruit set) with your existing plant.
You are planting in lime-free soil?

Tempted by one of the myriad rose bushes too but I’ll consult with wife first.

Don't be. Take a look at Trevor Whites Old fashioned rose site (with your partner) and buy a beautiful, named (reliable) rambler, climber or shrub. Bare root season has another month to run...and I swear, these roses are the finest to be had anywhere in the UK. Gorgeous, fragrant, vigorous, classic...and will live for 50 years, given the merest TLC. Not even mentioning the fabulous, if fleeting wildlings. Truly, the queen of gardens.

PM me if you want suggestions (according to space and style. Speaking as a crazed rose obsessive.

Bought an Azeda or Dutch hoe I await its arrival eagerly
The hand-tool of choice for 99% of the gardening/farming world...including me (Chillingworth hoe). If you can, get one with a 2pronged end (as well as the flat-bladed cutting/digging edge) - no finer tool for lifting brambles, mallows or other vicious rooted beasts.
eta - see you have already ordered. You will not be disappointed.

I'll have a proper look and take some photos if you wouldn't mind having a look?
I surely will...but it sounds like you are doing perfectly OK. Take pics of new growth (or wait until flowers are forming for a better chance of ID).

The reason your crop was not so good was due to needing a pollination partner. Now you are putting in another bush, you will find you get much better fruit performance. True, they can take a few years to get to a decent stage of cropping so you may want to source a bush which is already 2-3 years old to boost pollination (and fruit set) with your existing plant.
You are planting in lime-free soil?

Partly bought it because we've a huge bag of blueberry friendly soil in the cupboard.

Our peacock butterflies beg to differ. have you considered making beer? Surprisingly delicious. Or even a refreshing tea with the young leaves.

Or throw them in a large water container and let them fester to give good plant feed. Or boil them and (I hear although I've never tried but keep meaning to) make a good alternative to spinach. Probably not as good in a salad as I once saw recommended on here though :)

The hand-tool of choice for 99% of the gardening/farming world...including me (Chillingworth hoe). If you can, get one with a 2pronged end (as well as the flat-bladed cutting/digging edge) - no finer tool for lifting brambles, mallows or other vicious rooted beasts.
eta - see you have already ordered. You will not be disappointed.

I always forget that the one I've got is a dutch hoe. Couldn't see a reference to Chillingworth hoe though - or one with 2-pronged end. And for lifting brambles don't you need to get the root out too? I recently got this evil looking fucker for pulling brambles - am looking forward to see whether it works:

1583072146177.png

Back
Top Bottom