Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of cash?

Back in the late 70s I worked for furniture shop in Salford unloading and delivering furniture and setting up stuff for the showroom. At the end of the day, they'd send me off to the bank's night safe, on foot through the precinct with these big leather wallets (obviously stuffed with cash and cheques) to put in the night safe. Fortunately, I knew most of the local scallies back then so I came to no harm. But I did worry about anyone I didn't know who looked the slightest bit iffy. I was literally shitting myself every evening I had to do that little errand.
In my native Crewe back in the 70's/80's the third biggest employer after the BREL works and Rolls-Royce was the Post Office who had a massive sorting office there next to the train station. I had loads of mates who worked there.
The Post Office also did cash delivery/collection back then as well though I have no idea if they still do. One day I bumped into one of my mates in the middle of town stood outside the Natwest with a helmet on and what looked like a cash box.
I stopped to say hello and it turned out that the cash box was fake and just contained an alarm that would go off if it was snatched. He was basically a human canary to fool any would be thieves before the van with the actual cash box arrived.
He was big enough and probably more importantly dumb enough to put up a impressive fight if anyone did try to snatch it even though it was fake and his orders were to not resist. I have a feeling that even if Royal Mail still do cash delivery/collection that job would deffo be banned under Health & Safety.

In general, it's probably easier for someone who only has card/s to get cash than it is for someone who only has cash to get a card...

Who are these people that only have cash? How did they get cash? I mean working off the books, black economy. You can get a basic bank account I thought at the post office. The number of people who only have cash and nothing else I would think is vanishing these small Much smaller at least than those for whom using an ATM is a hassle for various reasons and often not practical at all.

Surely nobody should be "forced" into anything.

Businesses should be allowed to accept whatever form of payment suits their business. And customers should have the right to take their custom elsewhere if they are unhappy about that.
Makes sense to me

Who are these people that only have cash? How did they get cash? I mean working off the books, black economy. You can get a basic bank account I thought at the post office. The number of people who only have cash and nothing else I would think is vanishing these small Much smaller at least than those for whom using an ATM is a hassle for various reasons and often not practical at all.
I imagine that older folks like my old Mum who have people to get cash out for them is quite common. She does have a bank account and a card, but only has confidence to use real money. I get her cash every couple of weeks and she writes me a cheque. Her contactless card is practically useless because she'd never use it.

I imagine that older folks like my old Mum who have people to get cash out for them is quite common. She does have a bank account and a card, but only has confidence to use real money. I get her cash every couple of weeks and she writes me a cheque. Her contactless card is practically useless because she'd never use it.
My mum is only slightly better than this - she will use her card to get money out of a cash machine, but that's all. She goes to town once a week and draws cash out for the week. She then locks the card away (terrified of losing it / having it stolen) and walks around all week with a purse full of cash. She won't be convinced that she's got the risk the wrong way round.

But you do release that using the card would be a lot easier and remove some of these problems. Sure she may not want to and this is fine and her choice, but a contactless card is the easiest possible way to pay for something.

I don’t like to spell out the obvious but uncomfortable truth, but it’s worth recognising that at some point in the coming decades, all these old folks who are terrified of anything but cash will not be in the picture any more. Part of the way that society changes is that the ones used to the old ways pass on and the ones left behind are the ones who grew up with the new ways.

The coffee shop down the street from my work had a break in overnight at the weekend. They're card only payments, so the only thing of value that got stolen was the business credit card which the owner put a stop on immediately he got a notification it was being used.

The coffee shop down the street from my work had a break in overnight at the weekend. They're card only payments, so the only thing of value that got stolen was the business credit card which the owner put a stop on immediately he got a notification it was being used.
Won't someone think of the non-IT literate criminals.

But you do release that using the card would be a lot easier and remove some of these problems. Sure she may not want to and this is fine and her choice, but a contactless card is the easiest possible way to pay for something.
I may or may not realise that, but in the case of my old Mum that's irrelevant. She has expressed that, aged 90, she has no confidence in the contactless system. Rightly or wrongly she dos not believe that the transaction will conducted correctly, (or at all), and also that she'd have no way of knowing where she is with her weekly budget. Those are her perceptions; that's it.

I don’t like to spell out the obvious but uncomfortable truth, but it’s worth recognising that at some point in the coming decades, all these old folks who are terrified of anything but cash will not be in the picture any more. Part of the way that society changes is that the ones used to the old ways pass on and the ones left behind are the ones who grew up with the new ways.
Obviously true, but cash use for budgeting is not limited to the very old.

But by the time that happens and we are that age, banks will doubtless want to change the current system which most of us are fairly comfortable with and introduce some new-fangled system which makes it easier for them but which many of us currently saying that cards are OK will find it more difficult to adjust to.

At the age of sixty, I already find it significantly more difficult to adjust to technological change than I did at the age of 40. The issue of older people finding it difficult to adjust to things they're not familiar with isn't going to go away when all the current old people are no longer with us.

I think we're getting a bit full circle because I remember we had a tangent a while back about treating all older people as a blob of elderly incompetence.

I think we're getting a bit full circle because I remember we had a tangent a while back about treating all older people as a blob of elderly incompetence.
Genuinely don't remember that tangent. But maybe I'm guilty of this as I do assume from my (old Mum's) specific issues that there is more general resistance to contactless amongst the very old. I have no evidence for this, so maybe it is just her?

What about the ones who had don’t have anyone to get them cash?

Genuinely don't remember that tangent. But maybe I'm guilty of this as I do assume from my (old Mum's) specific issues that there is more general resistance to contactless amongst the very old. I have no evidence for this, so maybe it is just her?
I'll struggle to search for it, I remember that some took exception at all elderly people being grouped together in the "baffled by technology" bracket.

Anyway, I'm just wondering out loud.

I'll struggle to search for it, I remember that some took exception at all elderly people being grouped together in the "baffled by technology" bracket.

Anyway, I'm just wondering out loud.
I wouldn't cast my mother's position as one of being baffled; more that she just doesn't trust or believe in the invisible/intangible technology. She's seen other people use contactless and seen it work, but she just won't go there; simple as that.

I wouldn't cast my mother's position as one of being baffled; more that she just doesn't trust or believe in the invisible/intangible technology. She's seen other people use contactless and seen it work, but she just won't go there; simple as that.
Oh don't misunderstand, I'm on your mother's side, as it were. I'm just badly remembering a tangent from months ago.

But by the time that happens and we are that age, banks will doubtless want to change the current system which most of us are fairly comfortable with and introduce some new-fangled system which makes it easier for them but which many of us currently saying that cards are OK will find it more difficult to adjust to.

At the age of sixty, I already find it significantly more difficult to adjust to technological change than I did at the age of 40. The issue of older people finding it difficult to adjust to things they're not familiar with isn't going to go away when all the current old people are no longer with us.
My issue is more social than technological. I have no problem understanding how something like tiktok works, but understanding the shit people use it for. Not a clue.

But by the time that happens and we are that age, banks will doubtless want to change the current system

I would not get too worried about banks' desire or ability to enforce changes to current systems.

In practice changes have consistently been imposed on them from the outside. For example, the Faster Payments initiative, which allows near real time online payments was pushed by the UK Treasury and by the Office of Fair Trading. Similarly the Open Banking initiative (which neither the banks nor their customers seem all that keen on) originated from an EU directive.

Conversely, one initiative that did originate from banks was the attempt, a few years back, to do away with cheques, announced in 2009 with a target completion date of 2018. This triggered a blizzard of complaints from businesses and users that led to a Treasury Select Committee inquiry. In 2011 it published conclusions that killed the initiative in its tracks.

The chairman of the inquiry stated, “The Payments Council has not thought through its arguments carefully enough and its first piece of work on the cost–benefit of abolishing cheques was clearly defective.”

Source here: Cheque elimination in UK

which is why i often point out that today;s 80 year old retired in 2009 when peopel talk about 'old people' being unfamiliar with email / websites / using electronic forms of payment

equally today's 80 year olds were listening to skiffle or rock and roll as young people not Vera bloody Lynn ...

Maybe old news and I’m showing my ignorance here, but came across this retail monstrosity today. Had to have an app and swipe your contactless on entry, FFS. Was interested in looking at their Oktoberfest German beers, but fuck’em. I worry that this is the future of shopping.

IMG_4549.jpeg

Maybe old news and I’m showing my ignorance here, but came across this retail monstrosity today. Had to have an app and swipe your contactless on entry, FFS. Was interested in looking at their Oktoberfest German beers, but fuck’em. I worry that this is the future of shopping.

View attachment 445092

Can you explain what they are requiring customers to do? I’m not being sarky, I can’t discern it from the screenshots. Are they saying you need to present an app or contactless card just to be able to shop? Before even paying for anything I mean. If so, yep I’d be with you I’m against that. As much as contactless is my preferred way of paying. I’m against businesses the only accept cash, I mean I don’t use them. but against supermarkets only accepting electronic payments.

Back
Top Bottom