Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'eating out in Wales' thread...

I've got to choose off of this menu next Saturday (or at least a similar one as this goes up to tomorrow):

A la carte menu available Wed to Sat evenings 6.30 - 8.30 pm

Thursday 16/Sep/2010 to Saturday 16/Oct/2010

STARTERS

Soup of the season, homemade bread
£4.50
Antipasto platter; homemade bread, olives, peppers & Welsh cheese
£4.75
Crisp pork, balsamic dressed leaves & caramelised apple purée
£4.75
“Britannia” Oak smoked mackerel, toasted croutes & tartare
£4.75
Authentic Thai scented fish cakes, sweet chilli sauce dip
£4.75
Pan fried wild trout, celeriac purée, pea & herb dressing
£5.00
Chicken liver parfait, onion chutney and melba toast
£4.50

MAINS

Fresh Gower lobster tagliatelle with prawns confit tomato & garlic both mixed herbs and parmesan
£19.99
Welsh rib-eye of beef, hand cut chips, sauce vierge & perl las gatain, sauté wild mushrooms spinach purée & port jus
£15.99
Rosemary scented Welsh lamb rump; pomme purée, summer garden salad, butternut purée and port jus
£15.95
Pan fried bream fillet with a mixed seafood, tomato, roast pepper and new potato broth
£15.50
Slow roast Poussin with layonaise potatoes, buttered ribbons of vegetables & port jus
£15.00
Roast vegetable green Thai curry with sticky jasmine rice and sauté pak choi
£14.95
Fresh beer battered hake & chips, tartare sauce & fresh mushy peas
£11.95

DESSERTS

Raspberry flavoured Eton mess with fresh berries and meringue
£4.75
Rhubarb & berry sherry trifle with vanilla pod custard and toasted almonds
£4.75
Bread & butter pudding baked with mixed berries with crème anglaise
£4.75
Chocolate assiette, hot chocolate flavoured with cointreau, iced parfait and brownie with cream
£5.00
Joes Ice-Cream with a chocolate and orange sauce
£4.50
Iced Penderyn whiskey parfait, with a vanilla, tea and prune syrup
£4.75
Selection of Welsh & French cheeses with crackers, celery and grapes
£5.00

Also available
Dessert Wine £2.50
Port £2.00
Fresh Coffee served with a choice of hand-rolled £2.50
Chocolate truffle or orange & choc chip biscotti

This is from Britannia Inn, Llanmadoc, Gower. It's my favourite place in Wales to eat.

http://www.britanniainngower.co.uk/

The food has been very decent whenever I've been there. We've eaten in the restaurant once, and in the bar a few times, but this time we're back in the restaurant.

The belly pork starter was incredible.

Looks like we'll have a few other choices though, as they change monthly aand seasonally. The kitchen is always busy.

excellent!
please don't waste your money in jamieland, not because oliver owns it or it's giving other places a hard time, but because it really is fucking shit. it's a fucking awful restaurant.

We've eaten there twice, and both times been pretty impressed with the standard of the food. I really can't see how you could classify it as "fucking awful", even if you were allergic to Italian food. And before you ask, we've eaten in most of the best restaurants in Cardiff, and Jamie's certainly holds its head up amongst the most of them. Why do you think it is so bad?

We've eaten there twice, and both times been pretty impressed with the standard of the food. I really can't see how you could classify it as "fucking awful", even if you were allergic to Italian food. And before you ask, we've eaten in most of the best restaurants in Cardiff, and Jamie's certainly holds its head up amongst the most of them. Why do you think it is so bad?

firstly, ive only eaten there once so my being so anti-jamie i admit isn't right and i should try it again to form a better opinion. but that meal i had was shit. i went there for lunch and had a calamari starter that was tough,rubbery, tiny and pretty cold, and an expensive main of scallop and squid ink linguine. I say it was expensive but scallops are expensive so i didn't mind so much untill it turned up with half a small scallop sliced on top.
Also, we waited ages for the food and also to pay, because of that we were there for one and a half hours. this is bad form for a lunch service.
it is however a good employer hiring plenty of staff, which goes in it's favour, but the whole jamieland feel of the place is shit.
I will however keep quiet on the subject untill i've tried it again.

I know somebody who got a job cheffing at Jamieland a while back, but wanted to jack it after a few weeks because he didn't really consider it a proper chef's job (i.e. a lot of the menu is just bought-in reheated stuff) - the money was OK, though.

If anybody happens to be passing down Carmarthen way, Y Polyn is highly recommended. Effin lovely food which lives up to the hype (I think it was AA Welsh restaurant of the year last year, has a couple of rosettes etc). Food has plenty of flair and quality, but not poncey for the sake of it!

hooters thread... gawd you have a short memory

and it was Gio's not Giovannis.. they are two different restaurants

Did I actually say Hooters was lush?

On the second point get ya facts right. I said I would rather give my money to Jamie than Giovanni, Giovanni own both Gios and Giovannis.

firstly, ive only eaten there once so my being so anti-jamie i admit isn't right and i should try it again to form a better opinion. but that meal i had was shit. i went there for lunch and had a calamari starter that was tough,rubbery, tiny and pretty cold, and an expensive main of scallop and squid ink linguine. I say it was expensive but scallops are expensive so i didn't mind so much untill it turned up with half a small scallop sliced on top.
Also, we waited ages for the food and also to pay, because of that we were there for one and a half hours. this is bad form for a lunch service.
it is however a good employer hiring plenty of staff, which goes in it's favour, but the whole jamieland feel of the place is shit.
I will however keep quiet on the subject untill i've tried it again.

I've eaten in the Bath one twice and whilst the first time was passable the second was pretty bad. Extremely 'carefully controlled' portions and they salted it to death, and the policy of not allowing bookings - meant only to try to drive up pre-drink sales which are the real revenue raisers for restaurants - is a huge pain in the backside. Reports are the Cambridge one is similar, so I'd anticipate it's the same for other franchises.

The ambience was a bit try-hard, but the building itself is superb - rooftop terrace included.

At the Britannia I had crisp belly pork for starters, and the meat melted. I love it. It put the main in the shade a little bit, but to be fair it was a very nice dish - lamb rump on a potato fondant with a lamb shoulder broth. There were some lovely vegetables in there, the fresh peas especially good. And the herbs! A nice bit of dill and parsley in the broth made it taste very clean. The fondant was shit though. No way was it a fondant. Altogether very good otherwise. The main was the assiette of chocolate (see the menu in post#213). What a way to finish. Had a glass of wine each and coffee, and it all came to about £62. Can't be faulted really.

I might be taking the missus for a trip to Tenby in November, any recommendations for decent restaurants?

(interesting places to go near Tenby also appreciated, but perhaps best saved for another thread)

On the second point get ya facts right. I said I would rather give my money to Jamie than Giovanni, Giovanni own both Gios and Giovannis.

Seems my contempt for Giovanni has been justified.Having soent a small fortune revamping Gio's it has been placed in receivership. Who wants to bet the new owner is the same as the old owner, boiught for a cut price and debt free?Evidnetly has three businesses registered at the same address, its not rocket science to work out what has been going on here!!!!

This was the guy who tried to gain publicity for himself by offering to pay Bellamy's wages!!

i heard the normandy inn is good, but never been myself.

although it might have been the plantaganet that i was told is good. sorry.

I think we may have eaten there, if it's the one I'm thinking of - it had an ancient chimney stack at the back end of the restaurant and a nice bar area downstairs with an open fire.

I think it's a bit hit and miss, the landlord of our b&b hesitated before recommending it, saying that the partners had had a falling-out or some-such and there were quite a few changes in the kitchens so the food could be variable. Prior to that, he said it was very good but he couldn't guarantee what it would be like when we went. This must have been this time last year.

Not heard of the Normandy Inn, I'll keep an eye out for it when we're down next.

Ta!

I think we may have eaten there, if it's the one I'm thinking of - it had an ancient chimney stack at the back end of the restaurant and a nice bar area downstairs with an open fire.

I think it's a bit hit and miss, the landlord of our b&b hesitated before recommending it, saying that the partners had had a falling-out or some-such and there were quite a few changes in the kitchens so the food could be variable. Prior to that, he said it was very good but he couldn't guarantee what it would be like when we went. This must have been this time last year.

Not heard of the Normandy Inn, I'll keep an eye out for it when we're down next.

Ta!

i think i'm wrong about the normandy, i'm pretty sure it's the plantagenet.

Oh does he now? well Jee I expect most people dont actually know that FFS

Well maybe some people shouldn't jump in with comments when they don't know the facts of the situation.

UMM all I said was that I wasnt talking about Giovannis but GIOS... SOMEONE could have POLITELY said "he owns them both" in response... but no, know it all that you are you carried on bleating

Back
Top Bottom