Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'eating out in Wales' thread...

The Britannia, Llanmadoc, Gower. My favourite eaterie. I had poussin there the other day. The rib-eye steak, rare, is a thing of wonder. Immense.

I'm not much of a lunchtime eater, but i went to Le Monde, Cardiff, yesterday. I forget how nice the place is as I only get there once in a blue. Anyway, Duck Rillets to start and a nice 'medallions' of beef in Diane sauce with their proper homemade chippie-style chips for the main. It was class. Straightforward, very tasty, nice vibe. £10 each. Cheap as.

some right poshos on ere! :hmm:

e2a - he says after meeting another urbanite for a 3 course meal in the angel hotel last night :oops:
'ill shurrup now

the food at ffresh is slipping in quality,which is a real shame.i had a fantastic cockle and laverbread starter but the pork belly main was incompetently/badly/lazily cooked. incredible value though.

I was taken to Woods Braserie in the Bay for my birthday

The service was crap, the food was really nothing special. My friend complained about his, hadnt eaten it and they did nothing whatsoever about it.

Wont be going there again

The service was crap, the food was really nothing special. My friend complained about his, hadnt eaten it and they did nothing whatsoever about it.

thats a real shame.i've only been to woods once,and although i wasn't as dissapointed as you,i certainly didn't rate it very highly and wont be rushing back.
there's better in cardiff for the money.

That's a shame. My missus used to waitress in Woods way back in the day, and we enjoyed a couple of "staff discount" meals there which were truly fabulous. But I'm talking about 5-6 years ago. I don't understand why places never seem to maintain their standards. It seems inevitable - maybe chefs/owners get bored, need to move on somewhere else, and once someone else steps in thinking they're taking over a guaranteed restaurant, the whole thing goes to pot...

Dear lord alive, Raymond Blanc is taking on the Ebenezer Church in Charles Street, Cardiff. It's the easy-listening version of his top-end stuff, but it can't be all bad.

That's a shame. My missus used to waitress in Woods way back in the day, and we enjoyed a couple of "staff discount" meals there which were truly fabulous. But I'm talking about 5-6 years ago. I don't understand why places never seem to maintain their standards. It seems inevitable - maybe chefs/owners get bored, need to move on somewhere else, and once someone else steps in thinking they're taking over a guaranteed restaurant, the whole thing goes to pot...

My folks are real foodies and went to Woods just last week and said it was the best meal they ever had there and that it was back to its best!

Dear lord alive, Raymond Blanc is taking on the Ebenezer Church in Charles Street, Cardiff. It's the easy-listening version of his top-end stuff, but it can't be all bad.

i'm not surprised.
cardiff is chain shithole central,MPW will be here soon with his shitty steakholes to make life even harder for the few good independents in cardiff.

I don't see it as an issue. If people can't be bothered setting up independents, why should we lament them? If there were loads and had been usurped, I could understand the concern. As it goes, it's up to someone to chance their arm. There are decent indies out there, but normally just outside the centre.

I don't see it as an issue. If people can't be bothered setting up independents, why should we lament them? If there were loads and had been usurped, I could understand the concern. As it goes, it's up to someone to chance their arm. There are decent indies out there, but normally just outside the centre.

i think jamies italian has damaged trade for alot of small good italian places in town.i may be wrong,but to see people queueing outside his place when good italians are empty seems wrong to me.
Again,i don't know if anyones lost out to a chain,but i'm sure they must do.

I recommend the Market Place in Cowbridge-ok a nightmare to get to and back but if your there definitely give this place a go.
Theyve got an early bird menu 11 quid two courses and a cheap thingy of wine for a fiver-ive eaten there twice recently-and its top notch food for not too much money

isabellas brasserie in porthcawl does 2 courses at lunch for £7.95 and the choices are excellent.Also,top notch ingrediants,the meat and fish looks fantastic.
It's an absolute bargain.

i think jamies italian has damaged trade for alot of small good italian places in town.i may be wrong,but to see people queueing outside his place when good italians are empty seems wrong to me.

Well, taking Giovanni's next to Spillers as one who might be suffering, his food is shite anyway so he's probably being outdone by an outlet serving decent fresh local produce, chain or not. Until some of these Italain restaurants reinvent themselves they're going to go to the wall. They serve the same tired old shit year in and year out.

Well, taking Giovanni's next to Spillers as one who might be suffering, his food is shite anyway so he's probably being outdone by an outlet serving decent fresh local produce, chain or not. Until some of these Italain restaurants reinvent themselves they're going to go to the wall. They serve the same tired old shit year in and year out.

This /\, to an extent.
Giovanni's is a shithole from the seventies that serves up tired, lacklustre, uninspiring food for the same price or more than a good-quality chain like Carluccio's. Took some visiting work colleagues there recently and it was truly shite.

i totally agree that some italians really need to grow and change with the times.i cant argue with that,and maybe olivers place will bring about that change.

went there a few years back, been knocking down walls and painting with mrs z. we looked a fair bit rough full of paint and dust. I'm sure mrs z looked like a dreadlocked panda, and not completely sober (I'd had 2 pints). it was the only place down the docks we fancied. why pay an extra £10 for a curry or chinese just 'cos it's in the bay? the braserie was the only place that looked half decent.

well you could tell they didn't realy want to serve us, took 'em nearly 20 minutes to bring the wine over. we were joking with them that they must have had to pop over to Tesco to get the wine. we went for a fag after dinner, it must have been before the somking ban and the smoking area was by the door. They had one of the waiters mark us and guard the door expecting us to do a runner. the food was ok, nothing special.

We've been meaning to go back there for a couple of years, dressed properly, best accents, eat and drink our fill .....and run like fuck

Went to St Davids hotel a couple of weeks ago. I went there last November or December and had poor food with really bad service, so they invited us back. They seem to have changed the chef and management, and it actually has improved a lot. Service was really good and the food was excellent, with a much more varied menu as well. Of course, between the five of us the bill would have added up to £350 if we had had to pay for the food. I must say that they really took it well to the chin and were great sport in addressing the poor meal we had last year.

We wanted to try Jamies Italian but it was queued up outside... theres a really nice independent italian a little further down the street opposite the library- couldnt fault it, it was lovely :)

We wanted to try Jamies Italian but it was queued up outside... theres a really nice independent italian a little further down the street opposite the library- couldnt fault it, it was lovely :)

excellent!
please don't waste your money in jamieland, not because oliver owns it or it's giving other places a hard time, but because it really is fucking shit. it's a fucking awful restaurant.

OK, checked now and it was Gios...

BUT dont google for the website, at least without a decent scanner/shield as the website detected a virus threat

I went back to Seren with the missus the other night, just hit a main really. Had the aubergine and lamb mince affair. Itr was once again pretty decent stuff, but each time i go there (a few times a year) there's a slightly different presentation across the meals. The one I had was pretty different to the last, and whilst it tasted as good it looked a bit more workmanlike. Happy enough though. Wouldn't hear a bad word against the place. Apart from the Turkish vino that is...

Back
Top Bottom