Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'eating out in Wales' thread...

like Welsh what?

Mochyn Du pub has expanded a bit but still got only 2 vegi options which they run out of early on
somewhere in the arcade on top right of st mary st, can't remember name sorry

Laverbread, Glamorgan sausages... all that type of stuff. Used to go to one at entrance to arcade opposite castle gates. Taste of Wales I think it was, but it shut down a few years back

The armless dragon looks decent from it's website

I had a ropey meal there a year or so back. Only the chef was on, and he had to keep popping out of the kitchen to take orders and serve drinks.
Waited ages for food, and when it came it was underwhelming.
Also, they had one of the most needlessly complicted menus in history.

Even though Armless Dragon's website is still up, I think the place has closed now. Google it's address and you get Ba Rooba (whatever the hell that is!)

Garlands in Duke Street Arcade in front of castle (a daytime cafe rather than a restaurant) do Welsh things like Glamorgan sausages, Rarebit, and breakfast with laverbread. Place gets mixed reviews.

Ive recently discovered Ataca on Crwys road.. they do yummy veggie food, cakes, smoothies, juices and coffee.
The most expensive option is a fiver, its well worth a visit

Lately i have ben going to the Model T in Bridgend really good value for your money, upstairs they have carvery three meats and all the trimings (love the roasties) choice of deserts only £5pp. Downstairs there is an eatery all you can eat various choice foods only 6.99pp and a good play area for the kids.

Well worth a visit.

dunno if we have any Bridgend posters anyroad so you'd be wasting yer tinned meat!

croeso if i am wrong tho

@Ben Bore: I like Garlands. The free refills for filter coffee have make it a staple of mine if I have writing/reading to do in the city centre (which is sadly not that often, though). I remember their food being ok too.

The Mochyn Du last time I went (a year and a half ago?) had quite a surprising variety of Welsh dishes. Their laver bread was actually good.

Some of my favourites in Cardiff:

- Ichiban in Albany Road. Same price as any other Japanese, just twice as good. Ridiculous amounts of variety and every other dish is a surprise. They have this stunning omelette ("I'm not going to pay £8 for an omelette!") that defies expectations, the best tempura butter in town and a good variety of sake.

- Garcon in the Bay. Can't afford to eat there really, but the place is worth it for ordering a chateaubriand between two. The massive chunk of meat cooked right to order comes with enough trimmings and chips to make it starter, main and dessert in one.

- Punithas in Albany Road. Wavering a bit, but still an Indian restaurant with plenty of variety. When not in the mood for Punithas Empire next door makes this green dry lamb curry that is just stunning.

On other places earlier mentioned: Le Galois, been once, it was good, and Mimosa, been twice, one was good the other was average to good. I think you can't really go wrong with Mimosa, but maybe I find the food choices a bit safe sometimes? Also, in Woods Brasserie I find the steaks of good quality but not always exactly as I'd like them (have to remember to send back in such case next time!).

Seconded on Garcon - very tasty.
Much cheaper at lunchtimes than in the evenings, but still not a bargain.

They also have that offer around 6pm or so with a limited menu that's not too bad (was it £12?). It's quite a while ago but I remember I topped it up with some snails and it went down well.

Or if you want to try the worst restaurant in Cardiff, how about the Spice Merchant down the bay? Sixteen quid for a seafood dish that used crabsticks instead of fresh crab - and that's just the start of it! Truly dreadful in every way.

Or if you want to try the worst restaurant in Cardiff, how about the Spice Merchant down the bay? Sixteen quid for a seafood dish that used crabsticks instead of fresh crab - and that's just the start of it! Truly dreadful in every way.

i'm suprised to learn spice merchant isnt a chain restaurant as thats all to common for a chain,(i find seafood is generally best avoided altogether at chain shitholes) but apparently its an independent curry house.how the fuck they can justify that i dont know.

Spice Merchant was well nice the first couple of times we went a few years ago but the quality did seem to drop right off, maybe got a bit popular. then the one they opened in town, opposite the new theatre, did me right in but could be more to do with me being a spice lightweight.

Lately i have ben going to the Model T in Bridgend really good value for your money, upstairs they have carvery three meats and all the trimings (love the roasties) choice of deserts only £5pp. Downstairs there is an eatery all you can eat various choice foods only 6.99pp and a good play area for the kids.

Well worth a visit.

As it happens, my boss has been banging on about this all week. He went down last weekend (made special trip from Ynysybwl) and loved it.

Speaking as a veggie myself, i dont think i will bother.

Bully's is great. Expensive, but very good food. And theatrical service - nobody reads and explains a fine menu quite like Russell Bullimore.

Bully's is great. Expensive, but very good food. And theatrical service - nobody reads and explains a fine menu quite like Russell Bullimore.

i agree completely,the man really knows the food he's serving.
i'm going there tomorow,really hope its as good as the lunch we had.

@bob: I can't afford going there but I hope they don't close! It's great for special occasions, so I'll pop in to celebrate if I get a new job

Back
Top Bottom