Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'eating out in Wales' thread...

zog said:
I can Vouch for the Ichyban (if that's how you spell it) on Albany road. Nice japanese food.

Ichiban - Japanese phrase for 'Number One', as in 'its the best'. Used to death by japanese caterers.

There is another Ichiban on Cowbridge Road. Whether it is the same or different people is anyone's guess.

1927 said:
Best food in cardiff imho is to be found at Le Gallois on Romilly Crescent, just round the corner from The Robin Hood. three courses for £14!

I'd have to say the best in Cardiff is the armless dragon , over in Cathays, pricy but fine.

Do you have to go at a certian time to le gallois to get the £14 deal?

zog said:
I'd have to say the best in Cardiff is the armless dragon , over in Cathays, pricy but fine.

Between 12 and 7 monday to thursday, afaik.

zog said:

Lunchtime anyday including sat and sunday gets you three courses for £14.

Evening early bird menu gets two courses for £14. Also doing tapas menu and very nice breakfasts until 11am.

I wanted to let you know about MOKSH.

It's the newest curry house in the bay (mermaid quay) next to eli jenkins opposite tescos. I decided to give it a try as their menu looked very interesting, and unique.

Now with the introduction of Nandos I'm sure everyone knows how strong peri peri can be and I love the stuff, anything hot, madras, ceylon, etc I'm into it... but this place offered a peri peri dish, not the portugese version but an indian version, a curry. Wow! YummMmmm.. (Was about £10, plus the pilau rice about £3, but so much rice I shared it with my friend (enough for 2). The service was really good, very courteous, polite, and professional, it was first class in every aspect.

zog said:

Never. Ate in Armless Dragon a few months ago, and while everything seemed like it should have been equal or better than Le Gallois, it simply wasn't. It might just be a subjective thing, but the 4 of us there all agreed that for the prices, the food was strangely lacking in flavour/passion.

As for Le Gallois, I went there for the express lunch, and after asking for the veggie option, was served a spoonful of mashed potato. Fuckers. A total no-no if you're a veggie. Although I'm sure the food is great for the heartless, sorry, carnivores.

Heads-up... just had a snack/lunch today in Madame Fromage, in Castle Arcade. Phew! The portions were fantastic, and the quality was amazing. The coffee was good as well, and it was really heartening to see somewhere that took their side salad seriously - neatly presented and even drizzled with a dressing! :eek: Sort of surprised to learn that they have been there for over two years now, it certainly won't be the last time I'm in there. :)

Just did the Bosphorus over the docks, and for the price found it quite pedestrian. The Kurdish on City Rd is just as good, if not better for half the price.

nogojones said:
Just did the Bosphorus over the docks, and for the price found it quite pedestrian. The Kurdish on City Rd is just as good, if not better for half the price.

Yeah its a nice location but meh as far as turkish restaurants go.

Knights in the Mumbles, and Patricks with Rooms (again on the sea front in the Mumbles)

Two jolly good restaurants that would be able to hold their heads up in a city let alone and small sea-side resort.

Love both of them.

High Voltage said:
Knights in the Mumbles, and Patricks with Rooms (again on the sea front in the Mumbles)

Two jolly good restaurants that would be able to hold their heads up in a city let alone and small sea-side resort.

Love both of them.
I've never tried Knights - but Patrick's is pretty damned fine.
Not cheap, though.

I had my first bellini there. happy days.

and if you go for B&B they do the most marvellous smoked fish kedgeree, daaahling.

Tried Truffels over in Swansea last week and it was quite good. Would probably try it again outside of xmas.

Better than the usual Swansea fare of rat on a stick.

Had any mentions of Bar Mimosa down the bay yet? Eaten there three times in the past year, and each time have been tickled with the food. Really well done grub, not madly overpriced, and a nice laid-back atmosphere which is better than most of the plastic chains cluttering the bay area.

I had a great meal in a restaurant in Swansea once (much to my shock). Sadly I don't remember the name of the place, but they cooked meat on swords then hung them from the ceiling, above your plate.

Bizarre...

Anyone else been to Canteen on Clifton, on Clifton Street in Splott, Cardiff? It sells itself as a veggie/vegan restaurant that also does one meat dish. There's only 3 choices of starter, main and puds on the menu at one time, which is changed fortnightly, and 3 courses are only £14.

Well worth a visit.

Anyone else been to Canteen on Clifton, on Clifton Street in Splott, Cardiff? It sells itself as a veggie/vegan restaurant that also does one meat dish. There's only 3 choices of starter, main and puds on the menu at one time, which is changed fortnightly, and 3 courses are only £14.

Well worth a visit.

this is where the portugese caff was init?

been reading the website and listening to his audio. :hmm:
seems like an experiment by some ole lecturer.
the website is ok but v messy with far too much stuff on it.
http://www.canteenoncliftonstreet.com/ :hmm:
also not buying the 'we do one meat dish in retaliation to the one veggie dish offered in most restaurants'
bit strange, either your a veggie/vegan place or not!

tried to take my parents there last week and they won't go near it because of the meat angle.

Agree the website's a bit overkill, although it looks nice, and you can't accuse them of not providing enough info!

'we do one meat dish in retaliation to the one veggie dish

That's a bit tongue in cheek. The chef's a carnivour and his missus is a veggie, just like our house. Going out to eat in Cardiff can be a bit of a nightmare for veggies (and non-veggies come to that), so this place fills a gap I'd say.

http://www.canteenoncliftonstreet.com/

Got to disagree with you again, there, dude. Just had a peek at the website, and apart from the rather silly idea that anybody would have enough time to spend it on the "forums" of a small local restaurant, it has really made me want to go and try the food. The photos look amazing!

Didn't think it was too cluttered. But then, one man's meat is another man's... ;)

If you are heading up to the Beacons, you can get very good pub food at the Nant Ddu lodge north of Merthyr. Its a couple of miles on from the turning for the Garwnant outdoor centre - can't recall the exact spot, but its clearly singposted on the A470.

Very nice 'gastro-pub' type stuff. About £8-10 a main. Tidy beer n'all.

If you're closer to Brecon you might also want to try out the excellent restauarnt in the Theatr Brecheiniog (SP?). I think it's called Tipple and Tiffin.

Best pub food for a walk near Cardiff?

A group of us are looking to go for a walk in the hills north of Cardiff (possibly around Garth Mountain, possibly further east eg Cefn-Onn/Rudry) in a couple of weeks time. Can anyone recommend a good pub for lunch? Ideally we'd like to be able to do the walk by public transport. Or if anyone has any other suggestions for a good walk with a pub that's not too difficult to get to. (Not the Plough and Harrow - we're looking for some hills).

this is where the portugese caff was init?

been reading the website and listening to his audio. :hmm:
seems like an experiment by some ole lecturer.
http://www.canteenoncliftonstreet.com/ :hmm:
also not buying the 'we do one meat dish in retaliation to the one veggie dish offered in most restaurants'
bit strange, either your a veggie/vegan place or not!

tried to take my parents there last week and they won't go near it because of the meat angle.

So your folks wont eat in a restaurant because there is ONE meat dish on the menu? That must make any type of eating out incredibly difficult.

So your folks wont eat in a restaurant because there is ONE meat dish on the menu? That must make any type of eating out incredibly difficult.

yeah it does and they hardly eat out at all, and then only Indian food.
what they and i object to is a supposed vegi restaurant serving a meat dish as some kind of quirk. but if it works for them and keeps them going and maybe even convert a couple of carnivores ;) then all good

yeah it does and they hardly eat out at all, and then only Indian food.
what they and i object to is a supposed vegi restaurant serving a meat dish as some kind of quirk. but if it works for them and keeps them going and maybe even convert a couple of carnivores ;) then all good

I thought it was probably a ploy to get people who maybe go out with non veggie mates for a meal. If theyd idnt have any meat options then they would miss out on a lot of trade, surely its better to have a veggie place that isnt strictly veggie than not have one at all. Personally as a meat eater i dont have a problem eating veggie food and would ahppily go there, but I know some people who would never step inside, and I suppose offering them a meat option isnt gonna make any difference, but there must be a lot of people in between.

Back
Top Bottom