Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'eating out in Wales' thread...

My favourite Indian takeaway in Cardiff is the LaLaZar, on Broadway. Hasn't disappointed in 10+ years.
I was taken to Fairyhill, on the Gower, to eat once; it was absolutely lovely (food, hotel and location), but I gather somewhat pricey. But defintitely an ideal place for a romantic dinner with someone special!

Hey - lets hear it for the...

Embassy Cafe,
Cathays Community Centre!!

This place has rocked my lunchtimes for several years now, and frankly, Simon (and now Geraint) knock up some of the finest food you'll see in Cardiff. On top of that it is cheap as chips, main course (choice of one!) is under a fiver, and the soup course (choice of one!) is only a few quid. Range of sambos and bagels, and the sweet stuff is fantastic.

All veggie, apart from the sandwich fillings, and I'll only say it once again - the cooking is bloody marvellous!

BBC comments

If climbing in Snowdon I highly recommend this place to stay / eat / drink - very good menu including Vegan, Veg and Organic locally sourced meat.

http://www.bryntyrch-hotel.co.uk/

If full ask for Crawford's number - he lives next door and had a fantastic bunk house with about 12 beds (bunkbed,) fire stove - is a great place and cheap!

llantwit said:
To start the ball rolling:

My favourte pizza place in Cardiff is undoubtedly Zio Pierro's just off Cowbridge Road East on Severn Road.
I'm 40. did this place used to be called Zio Pin's?

heres one in mid wales,
the drawing room,located betwixt newbridge on wye and cwmbach just north of builth wells on the main road north.
absolutely stupendous food cooked by top of the profession chefs,french trained.
set in a lovely country house,small. caters for up to twenty.
chefs table recommended for parties up to eight.
we were a party of six and it worked out with two bottles of wine,two vintage malts and a round of drinks to start a,three courses at about £50 a head.
expensive but worth it for a real culinary treat.
not suitable for non meat eaters though.

Bizzie Lizzie's, Walters Rd. Swansea.

Fabulous atmos. Delicious home cooked food, damn good portions, good prices.
Lovely gardens open during the summer to dine in.

:)

mpython said:
llantwit said:
To start the ball rolling:

My favourte pizza place in Cardiff is undoubtedly Zio Pierro's just off Cowbridge Road East on Severn Road.
I'm 40. did this place used to be called Zio Pin's?
Yup.
There used to be a few of them owned by the same family and called the same thing, then they al split up the businesses and now they're called other (remarkably similar) things.

Strumpet said:
Bizzie Lizzie's, Walters Rd. Swansea.

Fabulous atmos. Delicious home cooked food, damn good portions, good prices.
Lovely gardens open during the summer to dine in.

:)

seconded

and the mermaid restaurant in the mumbles, Its my favourite restaurant in the world:D

Chapter can be really good. I just think it's great that they now have acceptable food after years of being a joke. Nice that they've banned smoking, too.

hah nice man, join nearly 5 months ago, and first post. congrats on finally making it

The curry man at the Farmer's Market and down Splo' Marché:

Is he any good?
I always like what I get when I go to him, but he's mega expensive for snack food - 2.50 for a small tray of samosa type stuff with thin curry sauce.
If you want anything approaching substanial (like the rather nice potato and spinach currry) you can kiss goodbye to a whole 4-5 squid. This is too much in my book - I can get a full-on portion from the take-away for that!
My verdict - I like the food, but won't buy it any more as it's too damned expensive.:(

tom-cardiff said:
Chapter can be really good. I just think it's great that they now have acceptable food after years of being a joke. Nice that they've banned smoking, too.

The food may be nice, when it finally arrives, but the arsey faced service you constantly receive along with the ever changing menu and counter layout is rather tedious....:rolleyes:

llantwit said:
The curry man at the Farmer's Market and down Splo' Marché:

Is he any good?
I always like what I get when I go to him, but he's mega expensive for snack food - 2.50 for a small tray of samosa type stuff with thin curry sauce.

Fule!! You can hardly get a fecking sambo in Marx and Spencerz for that, and the curry man does the tastiest grub in the market. I reckons his £2-50 platter is good enough value for money, and for a fiver in our neck of the woods you'll get something much less tasty and a big wad of rice.

yeah man! don't dare cuss the kimi caterers, my mates who've sorted me right out week in week out :)
£2.50 for all the stuff you get which sorts you out for most of the day is a proper bar-gain shirley? :confused:

well it is so ner, and i eulogise to pontificators and passers-by how it is cheap, tasty and good for you :cool:

I knew that would be a contraversial one. If there's two of you an' you want more than just a few fried pakoras and thin curry sauce you end up paying around a tenner - and that's a bit steep for food off a trailer in my book.

haylz said:
The food may be nice, when it finally arrives, but the arsey faced service you constantly receive along with the ever changing menu and counter layout is rather tedious....:rolleyes:

I find the "arsey faced service" part of chapters charm!!

They are so mardy it can be quite funny - they could all get jobs in spar!!

llantwit said:
I knew that would be a contraversial one. If there's two of you an' you want more than just a few fried pakoras and thin curry sauce you end up paying around a tenner - and that's a bit steep for food off a trailer in my book.

Ah hah! Now we're getting to the root of the problem... you're a greedy bastard and you don't have enough cash to cover your appetite :D

A few fried pakoras...? You get pakoras, a big bread thingy, chutney, rice and sauce. I think you should be done for trades descriptions mate!

Who ate all the fucking pies, then?

goldmember5.jpg

The Madeira at the end of Churchill way is good for a pre-match meal. They serve kebabs that they dangle from the ceiling and tie garlic butter to the top of them so that it drenches the meat.

mpython said:
The Madeira at the end of Churchill way is good for a pre-match meal. They serve kebabs that they dangle from the ceiling and tie garlic butter to the top of them so that it drenches the meat.

Im going there friday with work, cant wait.....;)

LilMissHissyFit said:
seconded.. for Busy Lizzys

Thirded. I'd say it's rather good n all. Also the Hotel Motzart just up the road for damn good german grub (though I ain't been there for a few years so it may have slipped).

Who'd have thunk it. proper food in Swansea!

Back in the civilised world, everyone should try the Kurdish place on City Rd (Newport Rd end). Top quality food and cheap - main course £5. They don't serve alcohol - but if you must you can take your own.

Back
Top Bottom