Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 'eating out in Wales' thread...

Lots of nice looking cafes in Tenby, had a lovely lunch in one on the corner of a little lane by the indoor market.

We were recommended a Spanish place in Narberth but didn't go.

Cracking bakery in Haverfordwest across the road from Morrisons and wholesome food at Druidstone hotel near Newgale, menu like the place is eclectic but a few things for veggies and some fish as well.

Decent breakfast at the Sands cafe by Newgale beach as well

Well it works in every way apart from having any reviews, so it's halfway there.

I'd submit a few of honest reviews, good, bad and something in-between, but it depends if their business plan involves getting advertising revenue off local establishments before you can halfway trust any listing/review site

Just an interesting update based on earlier chats in this thread - Hangfire Smokehouse have won the BBC Good Food Awards Best Street Food category. Way to go, girls! They've worked fucking hard to get there.

The Cardiff destroyer burger at the Queens vaults....chilliburger ....pub food ...but fuck me ...hot enough to hurt .....

Had a very nice burger, chips and gherkin (!) at Spit & Sawdust off Newport Road (nr Homebase) for just under a fiver. If you sit in one of the booths and look out over the wall outside, the yellow Maccie D arches rise up like the Eye of Sauron. The evil empire is just a few hundred yards away, but a million miles away in taste and vibe.

Anyone on here ever go to the Gate Arts Centre? I'm checking out things to do/places to go for when I return to live in 'diff, and this looks like a cool place. I want and need to learn Welsh, so might begin here.

Lunch at the Algarve Portuguese restaurant in a very damp and grey Caerphilly today ....Mixed chicken and beef charcaol grilled with salad and fries for £6 .....bang next door too a 'spooons which was rammed .. Touch of piri piri and a nice salad too

There was only 4 people in there ......

Deffo go back ....
Looks like the Irish times /or The Railway to give it its propa valley commando name is still closed after that door fire (3 months ago) have been taken to the wall by the' spoons .....bloody hard place to compete against ...its even taking breakfast trade from the cafe's......they know their market so well ...

Used to be a pair of nice Italian cafe's at the top end of the town with seriously decent coffee ....when cafe coffee was a mug of nescafe and no saucer was standard fare .......

I miss the smell they had ....Costa's and Starbucks never seem to hit that aroma

Just an interesting update based on earlier chats in this thread - Hangfire Smokehouse have won the BBC Good Food Awards Best Street Food category. Way to go, girls! They've worked fucking hard to get there.
It looks like they have their own TV show now :eek:

And I realised that we used to go raving with Shauna way back
bbbbut servini's is in cardiff. extended family or secret multinational? :hmm:
Different Servini's I think. The Cardiff one was also sold out of the Servini family about 15 years back.

Interesting article about Italian cafes

And photos

Good read - but there may be more around than noted in the article - some of course diversified into ice cream making and sale - "Franks" in Garnant , "Cresci" in Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen (Waitrose even here in Herts used to stock the former ice cream)

Another peculiarity was the South Wales "steamed meat pie" - using some of the coffee equipment I think.

Big thumbs up for Conti's in Lampeter , presume the old boy is gone now . but a saviour to many students I know who went there. A sort of unofficial therapist and more.

There was a Conti's in Fishguard too, milky coffee in glass cups and saucers. And as you say there's ice cream, like Fecci's in Tenby. It's an important part of Welsh life.

There was a Conti's in Fishguard too, milky coffee in glass cups and saucers. And as you say there's ice cream, like Fecci's in Tenby. It's an important part of Welsh life.

They could do with installing a "working" - "Brachii" (I think a Rhondda term) in St Fagans.

Much like the Black Country museum has a coal fired chip shop , using "real" lard. In fact I recall several of these in the 1960's , you had to wait a few mins sometimes for the oil to get the right temperature...!

Back
Top Bottom